Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katherine_zavodni

updating space with cabin-like feel

We just bought a home and I am looking for ideas on how to update the kitchen and living area. The kitchen feels dated to me and the living room is nice with a lovely vaulted ceiling but has more of a cabin-y feel than I prefer. I am hoping not to do much more than aesthetic updates for now, namely painting (walls and/or kitchen cabinets, possibly ceiling) and new backsplash. I am hoping to give it a fresh, bright, updated feel, so maybe some white, but if I don't need to paint every square inch of the space I'd love to avoid that. So what would you do? Paint cabinets and ceilings? Cabinets and walls, leave the ceiling? Backsplash ideas? I have little confidence developing a vision on my own, so thanks for any ideas.

(x-posted, posted in the wrong forum before)

Comments (19)

• Scarlett001
    9 years ago

I just love this attached photo - this is a rental home in Tuscany. It has similar kind of ceiling but the interior design colors and style make it warm but less like that cabin look that you are unsure of. Although it might not be your taste and you might prefer the white/light feel vs. this warm look, but I really love this photo (I used it as inspiration for a major change that I did to my living room).

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Don't paint that ceiling! It's gorgeous the way it is :)

Maybe a gray would be pretty, something to make the fireplace pop a bit. And it's hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like the current BS is similar coloring to the fireplace, so the gray might brighten that up, as well :)

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Do you have a picture of the kitchen? Are you bringing in your old furniture? What color is it, or what color do you want to introduce? I agree to leave the ceiling alone. Some color on the walls would brighten up the whole room and, as Errant said, bring out the fireplace. Paint the walls and then see what the kitchen needs. Maybe if the whole space wasn't so beige, it would feel more alive and up to date.

• Katherine Zavodni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, sorry, I meant to attach a photo of the kitchen, here it is. I would really love to leave the ceiling as it is, and I agree that I think it's the overwhelming "beige-ness" of the space that I don't love. The rest of the main floor has fresher, more modern colors, a taupe/gray in the formal living room and even a deep, grapey purple in the dining room, so this part just doesn't seem to flow. I'm intrigued at the idea of gray in the living room, I really love gray on walls but wouldn't have thought it would go in this LR.

The kitchen feels dated to me on its own, regardless of the living room colors, with the cabinets and the country-style backsplash, so I know I want to update that too, just need ideas for a palate.

This post was edited by katybug78 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 20:29

• Katherine Zavodni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more kitchen view...

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture of the taupe/gray in your formal living room?

• Katherine Zavodni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Formal living room:

• patricianat
    9 years ago

The gray taupe is beautiful in the formal LR but I think your great room/gathering room is so large that you need to incorporate color into it. I think with a high ceiling like that, if it fits with your overall design scheme, a chile pepper red or a warm but bold wheat tone would be lovely in there. The room is tall, it has glass and it needs to be warmed up. What about window treatment. Not fond of the horizontal blinds unless you need to keep them for now until you get other things behind you. So much to do with a new move. I think you will like the room better if you bring the ceiling down by warming up the walls. Rugs for dividing different areas of the room may be very helpful and getting window treatment other than the optic white blinds. Just take it slow and make it yours.

I personally don't think you need white in the room, but warm colors (look at the Tuscany picture) and take some hints from there. Of course, I might be taking you in a direction that you do not like but that is what I would be looking for in a room with tall ceilings. I think the white paint on the portal window needs painting out the same color as the room and perhaps bring in a darker trim work instead of lighter. I would get the other things done before the kitchen. The oak of the kitchen is what you don't like (I think) but once you have warmed up the great room you might change your mind about it.

If not, then you can make that a project down the road. Kitchens are the most expensive overhauls (or it was for me) so I would do the more cosmetic first.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 23:42

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

Looks like there's no window in the kitchen. Painting the cabs might brighten it up. This pic as inspiration, minus window.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Is this your furniture and art work? I think slip covered sofas and different art, rug, plants, etc. would update the room quickly.

I wouldn't paint the kitchen cabinets but would look into different hardware, light fixtures, chairs, accessories.

• Katherine Zavodni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not our furniture or decor, we haven't actually moved into the house yet. Love the above inspiration pic, thank you! Kind of what I had in mind.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

First thing I would do is paint the two French doors to a warm white like the rest of your trim. That will immediately take away the cabin feeling. I love the ceiling the way it is now, taking hints from others will warm it right up. Like I said the doors will make a huge difference.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

I think the kitchen does a nice job of balancing out the total space. I would probly try updating it first by putting in new hardware and painting the island, walls and ceiling first.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I thought I posted something earlier. Don't know what happened to it. Anyway, I agree with leaving the ceiling as-is. I had the same question regarding the furnishings, as it looks as if those are the POs furnishings in a real-estate photo. I would look at changing the ceiling fan to a pendant light or other light fixture (unless you really need the fan). The wood in the existing fan seems to clash with the ceiling wood. And would also change the mantle to something more substantial to fit with the soaring ceilings. The taupe that is in the living room would seem to go well in this room as well. I agree with yayagal - paint the french doors white to match the window trim.

• Katherine Zavodni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the idea to paint the French doors, I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks! I will probably at least paint the kitchen cabinets and redo the backsplash, perhaps something like the photo up thread, I love the matching subway tile backsplash, and the point was well made that no windows makes it seem darker, along with the plain wood cabinets. I'd really just like the kitchen to be a little brighter.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Different art work, creamy white walls, slip covered sofas, and a different area rug.

{{!gwi}}

For the kitchen, different backsplash, more lighting fixtures, new hardware. I'd hold of on painting the cabinets.

• Katherine Zavodni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those pics are gorgeous, I especially love the first one! Thank yoU!!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

First of all, that is a stunning ceiling!! To me it looks very contemporary/modern rather than rustic/cabin-y. I can understand if this is not the direction you'd go in, but for me, I'd try to play up the contemporary aspect by painting the walls something cool that would contrast with the ceiling. I'd probably go with gray because I love gray in living rooms and I feel like the color plays really well with wood.

In the kitchen, I think new backsplash, cabinet hardware, and counter stools will go a long way. I'd probably see if you can replace the track lighting with some sort of pendant. Painting the cabinets and/or refacing them might be a reasonable choice too, but the wood doesn't look bad and seems to go well with the house.

• Katherine Zavodni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pricklypearcactus, I love that advice, and thanks for mentioning the lighting too, I was thinking I might need to get rid of the track lighting. I think I will go with paint on the LR walls, french doors, and maybe the kitchen ceiling, new hardware and new backsplash in the kitchen, new bar stools and maybe new lighting to begin with and see how that does. Would be great if I could find a look I'm happy with without having to paint the cabinets. I'd really just like to brighten it up a bit. Thanks for all the ideas!