Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

Is this the same rug?

jackson2348
9 years ago

I think these 2 rugs are the same rug. Horchow has a better picture, but the colors and placement if the designs look the same to me. Both described as 10x14 hand knotted serapi.
Horchow:

Overstock:

There's a $3,400 difference in price!

Comments (23)

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

looks the same to me. same design in the corners as well.

• judiegal6
    9 years ago

It looks the same to me too. Grab it!

• louisianapurchase
    9 years ago

They are not the same actually if you look really closely within the navy border, but I say for that price difference it would definitely be worth it to try the overstock one. If the quality is poor once received, send it back. Couldn't hurt to try.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

There is fringe on the Horchow rug and none on the overstock rug. The design looks almost exact but the Overstock doesn't seem to have as many colors in it but for the difference in price the Overstock sounds like a deal.

• User
    9 years ago

They are similar, but not the same. The border on either side of the first one is green and it is not as wide and beige in the second rug. The designs and colors in the rug are not the same, either. There are a million versions of Serapis and these two are pretty close. The big question is obviously quality. I would probably order both and send one back. The number of knots per inch and the quality of dyes could be significantly different. Or not.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You can always order the smallest size to check the colors. That way if it doesn't work, it doesn't cost a lot to send it back. I think it's the same rug.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This alternate view from overstock shows fringe and the green border, but there are other differences in this picture that aren't in the other one.

Goodness knows what I'll get, but I went ahead and ordered the overstock one. It was listed as a high sellout risk. If it doesn't work I'll send it back and order the horchow one which looks great. There are enough differences in the different views that I can maybe get the return shipping comped if it doesn't work.

Y'all keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

• chispa
    9 years ago

They could be the same if they are hand knotted ... similar but not identical. You get identical with machine made rugs. I once saw a rug that I loved, but the rug dealer was known for high prices. My mother reminded me of one of her friends in another state that was a rug dealer and suggested I contact him. I had taken photos of the rug and copied all the information from the tags. He was able to track the weaver down and although he normally didn't do business with them he called in a few favors and got me a rug ... it was 1/2 the price of my local expensive dealer.

Imagine my shock when the rug arrives and it isn't "identical"! When they are hand knotted they keep to the pattern, but the colors will vary slightly based on what they have on hand. Had I not had photos of the first rug, I would have never noticed the subtle differences in the colors. I kept the rug and have had it under my dining room table for 14 years.

• User
    9 years ago

I am really curious to see your verdict when you receive it.
    I have gone back and forth to the 2 sites, and I do think it's the same.
    As we all know, lots of times, between the lighting and the angle.... things change.
    To me it looks as close as one of the horchow rugs would be to another in the batch. (Assuming they have more than one to sell).

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

It's gorgeous. Good luck!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

hard to think they're the same rug with a $3,400 price difference! don't they have some type of disclaimer re: the photos?? i thought there was some sortof catch like that...
    will love to know what you think of the quality of the OS rug!

• theclose
    9 years ago

They look the same to me. I hope you love it! I think it will look great.

As for the price difference, I had a similar thing happen to me when I saw a rug at Gump's in San Francisco. No brand on the rug but I started doing research and I found out it was a Safavieh. It was over $1k less online. For that price difference, I chose not to shop local, even though I do most of the time.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. Chispa, that story makes me much more comfortable with the small differences I see in the pics. I'll be sure to post back regarding quality when I get the overstock one in, good or bad. I won't be able to compare the 2 as the ship date on the Horchow one is in June and I expect to have the overstock one and make a decision before then.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Rug is manufactured by Eastern Rugs. It's available through a variety of stores, but Overstock seems to have the best price.

http://www.store-eorc.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Serapi Rug

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly, you are the queen of finding things!!!
    Mfg website says it's additional colors, black. Sure looks navy in pics. I have a call in to overstock to check, I guess we'll see.

• jackson2348
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Final verdict...good enough.

We've moved into the new house, and with all the building expenses, I was glad to have an option at this price point. I was not looking for an heirloom rug, and I'm happy with how this one looks. I don't expect I would have been as happy with it for 5K. I don't think anyone other than a rug dealer would look at it and say, oh, cheap rug. If they do, I'll just give them more wine :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! Thanks for the follow up post.

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Great looking rug and a great price! Congratulations on moving into the new house----when can we expect a tour???

• theclose
    9 years ago

Looks great! So, I assume it is navy? Lovely.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'm happy that the less expensive rug worked out for you. I love to mix high and low priced items to get the look I want.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Looks great! I love Serapis! (Can someone tell me the difference between Heriz and Serapis?) Congrats on moving into the new house. Can't wait to see more pictures.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It looks great, and as someone who's been going through the "how do I know how much to pay for a rug" battle, I really loved your comment about the wine!

• always1stepbehind
    9 years ago

oh that is beautiful in your space. Love all the colors.