Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

A Coffee Table Becomes an Ottoman, a Dog Cushion, and Tile ....

User
9 years ago

I have had this piece of furniture for many years, I bought it as a distressed coffee table for our family room when our kids were small. It fit together like a Cloverleaf, and each section had a door that could hide toys in a hurry if anyone came over :-) I wanted to use it in the basement because it is unusual and well loved, but what I really wanted was an ottoman. So I had the tops of each piece upholstered so each can be pulled out and used as an individual footstool, or they can be sat upon individually. I LOVE the fabric, which was also used for the dogs' floor cushion in the front room under the video games screen. (The ottoman will go between the two sofas in the back room.). The cushion was made exactly like the mattresses on the daybeds, which makes me very happy!

Our handy guy took the old brass hardware to a nearby town and had it replated in an antique finish

Dog cushion!

Love how the fabric goes with paisley!

And finally, tiling commences in basement bathroom, vanity to be painted red next!

Comments (14)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love what you did with a loved and cherished piece! I am so anxious to see the bathroom. You have such an eye for style. Thank you for sharing.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

You had me at "which was also used for the dogs' floor cushion." Love it when the furniture fits the family, both human and furry. Your posted piece is very unique and handsome.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

When I had the initial consultation with the interior designer I gave him all kinds of pictures of cut outs in cabinetry with dog beds. I wanted the dogs have their very own space. We didn't have room to do that either area, so ID suggested the cushion. It's not the cozy hidey hole I envisioned, but they already like it!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took a better picture of the ottoman with one section pulled out, below, and tiling is finished, grout tomorrow am!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

It's terrific!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

kswl, I love seeing your project come together! The ottoman is fun and the dog bed as well. You really put a lot of thought in and it shows.

Beth

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bethpen, sometimes I really overthink these things but Ihave come to realize that it's just my process. Even with design help I have to evolve a project over a year or so. I first contacted an architect about opening up this space about 13 months ago, although it would have been finished months ago with a different GC.

I am in total awe of people who can redo an entire room in the time it takes me to pick out a wall color!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love how you've chosen your fabrics, rugs, etc so wisely and everything, including details such as the dog bed, have fit together and look wonderful! Just love how you took that old 'cloverleaf' table and made use of it again! Perfect for this space and for extra seating.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nice! Love versatile furniture that has many uses.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tile backsplash/wall completed and vanity is being painted Farmer's Market red at this moment!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love watching the progress of your rooms. That table is a wonderfully versatile piece and your new upholstered top makes it even better.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

I love your ottoman. Everything is coming together so perfectly!

• anitamo
    9 years ago

I love following along with your basement renovation! Your taste is wonderful and that brick floor is the main attraction. I'm interested to see if you have to seal it in the future. Love the ottoman and it's history, too.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got a photo of the painted vanity, painter thinks it may be a tad too orange... Hard to tell in photo, but easily changed if we need a darker shade.