Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Den Update- Help w/Window Treatments

localeater
9 years ago

I am in the process of updating our den. This room is used for watching TV, reading, listening to music. I am very happy with the new sofa, chair and rug. I like the color they bring in and the vibe.

From Den

I need to move forward with window treatments as the late day sun is blinding and I am messing with weekend sports viewing.
I am thinking shades, as I don't really want to have to pull curtains across the length of the sofa.
Do you think fabric roman shades will look good here? Any thoughts on fabric?
After I select window treatments I will be ready to move on to lighting and tables!

Comments (10)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

If you pulled the sofa and chair forward, the room would look better and you'd have access for opening and closing the windows. Right now they seem too far back being smooshed up against the wall.

Great rug, BTW!

• Claudia789
    9 years ago

Where did you find that great rug!

• LittleChic
    9 years ago

Wow, great bones ! The beam work looks great with your lovely rug. Nature rocks. I think fabric would work - roman shades or panel drapes. IMHO. Pattern in fabric would help enliven the room, bringing out colors and movement from your area rug.

Since both the sofa and chair are solids, they easily work as neutrals....

And pillows could also be areas to enliven your space.
    Good luck in your endeavor localeater,

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your comments.
    Errant- the room is narrower than it appears in the photo, there really isnt room to pull the sofa out from the window wall. Plus the room has two entries on either side of a large chimney, pulling the sofa out narrows the entry. The sofa isnt jamming into the window as I do not want it rubbing the wall but isnt far from it.
    Claudia- The rug is by Company C. It is their Landscape Rug. I was very nervous about it as I am slightly color phobic but I truly love it.

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LittleChic- we must have been posting at the same time.
    I am thinking about fabric, and of course eventually there will be pillow as well.
    I saw this fabric on the Smith and Noble website, perhaps something like it? I like the brown branches with the peacock flowers, plus branches seem to tie in with the rug? Is this the right track?

From Den

But then a part of me, says keep stretching- because this is a fun room- likes something with more color.
    From Den
    I will, hopefully, get to the local shop this week.

• User
    9 years ago

Where do you live? A crewel worked wool curtain would look quite at home with what appears to be post and beam construction.

• LittleChic
    9 years ago

oooo! I like both :) and for the same reasons you have noted. Smith and Noble has always offered great options, I have a few items and have been well pleased with price, choice and durability.

I do love the trees...but then I ask, am I (we) (you) lol being too much a theme room, with the tree shade and the tree prominent in the rug? Of course as the room progresses, this could easily NOT become a theme and the shade would be just an accent to the rug. All about the other room additions with that shade IMHO.

The way you phrase " Keep stretching" yourself...I love. Ah we too often play it safe, don't we? Eeeghads if that second shade had a wee of bit of green it would totally the ONE! I think it really picks up the rug colors and says to room's occupants...ok let's smile in this room!

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kswl- My home is in Maine, so wool would not be out of the question, I will definitely keep crewel in consideration.

I did not get to the fabric store at lunch today- my new goal is by the end of the week. it is so hard to escape work.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm thinking a woven wood shade would be nice...keep the background neutral and then use accessories to pick up the lovely colors from the rug.

• localeater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, Would you prefer natural wood tone like the beams or something white to disappear into the trim?

I had thought of woven wood but my husband is not a fan. I also worry if cats will want to climb them? Anyone with cats and woven wood?