Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellajourney

Front Yard is making Cream Walls look Green - any fixes?

bellajourney
11 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have a stupid question. We have a large picture window in our living room, and what "should" be Woodmont Cream (a little deeper than Linen White) on the walls, however, the lawn and tree in our front yard is making the walls look Green!

Aside from killing our lawn and tree (probably not the best solution, lol!), or covering the window completely with curtains, etc. - is there anything that we can do to keep the green outside and cream walls inside? I'm wondering if we'll need to go with a darker color on the walls...

Thanks so much!

Comments (21)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

What sort of lighting do you have in the room? Can you post a photo?

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

graywings - Thanks for your reply!

The problem happens in the daytime without any lights on. (The only lighting that we have right now are LED recessed lights - we're still in the finishing stages of remodeling and have yet to decorate - just minimal furniture and bare walls.)

I should have noted that the walls just have tinted primer on them at this point - so perhaps my concern is premature, however, I'm not sure how the final coats of paint would fix the problem, since it will still be a light color.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow when the green walls are at their worst. Unfortunately it's not just me who sees the green tint - guests have commented on it too. :(

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I don't have any advice but just wanted to commiserate. The creamy white shades that I chose oh-so-carefully for my masterbath renovation during the winter now have a decidedly green cast from the tall trees outside my window. Soooo, since green doesn't go with my color scheme, the neighbors are just going to have to turn their eyes away from the view, IYKWIM!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

The light reflecting off the lawn and coming through the leaves is the problem.

There is NO fix to it, because that light has been stripped of the red wavelengths by the plants.

I have the same problem in my kitchen: what should be pale yellow is bright greenish yellow part of the time. I'm going to repaint it a pale taupe. Not acomplete fix, but better than gaudy chartreuse

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I'm sorry but I had to laugh on this post as I have the same problem. I painted my DR in a dark gray in the winter and thought it might be a bit too blue, now that spring is here and trees are casting a full green it's no longer blue but very green undertone from the trees through the four windows. I think there is no fix as the seasons change so does the landscape and lighting. Just enjoy!

• leafy02
    11 years ago

I can commiserate. My carefully chosen dining room cream-colored paint two houses ago was turned into a color I call "Raw Turkey Flesh" by the light coming in off the brick wall outside the window. Not exactly appetizing.

I couldn't move the brick wall and didn't want to curtain off the sole window in the room, so repainting was the only answer I could come up with. Since your problem is green light, maybe you could use pink bulbs on any table lamps or floor lamps and see if that corrects it?

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

instead embrace the japanese philosophy that beauty is ephemeral. The changing color, shapes and shadows are to be observed and celebrated :)

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I had the same problem in my living room when it was painted Navajo White. I eventually switched to a beige.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I thought nature coming in was a good thing :)

• User
    11 years ago

My green walls occasionally look like electrified chartreuse, and our yellow MBR sometimes looks like the chromium yellow in an artist's palette. Ten years ago I would have repainted the room ten times to find the perfect color. Now...I wait for the light to change.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Can you repaint just the wall opposite the picture window? Choose a deeper color in a muted shade of sage and you'll have no problems.

• bellajourney
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you All so much for your replies and for sharing your green walls stories! :)

It sounds like I'm going to have to let go of my vision of creamy white walls and either enjoy nature's visit, or repaint a darker color. I think we'll live with it for a while and see what happens as the months go by. Maybe I can learn to like it...

Thank you, again!! You're the best!! :)

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I definitely understand your paint issues. My house is on a hillside, front lawn rolls over with numerous white pines, spruce, maples in the yard. I have a steep hill (small mountain) behind me that provides shade in the mornings until about 11:00; get sun mid-day. To add to the lack of direct sun, I have a covered patio behind my kitchen window requiring artificial lighting in the kitchen 24/7 and a covered porch in the front of the house.

Thank goodness I love green! My kitchen is Flowering Herb which is usually described as a neutral/brown/khaki type green. It is a PURE GREEN in my kitchen - love it. I have Baby Turle in a small powder room with a small window that lets in the shade - it is a TRUE darker green. Others have described it as a brownish green.

For four years I have struggled with the right neutral beige/tan for my living room. I've quit fighting it - I'm going with a light, light beige that will deliberately look pale green - I think the winner is going to be Rice Grain. Wish me luck that it WILL turn green.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

A green reflection from outdoors is as common as, well, trees.

It's a matter of aligning reflected wavelengths in your paint color to the beaming wavelengths of inherent light.

If you want walls to 'appear' creamy white during the day, then start testing creamy white paint colors that have an edge of red/pink/orange/peach. A chip of white paint color with a blushed hint has the best odds of showing as 'just cream' in inherent light that is heavily weighted in green beams.

In the evening, however, be prepared for that blush-color aspect to be enhanced by incandescent lighting. It will show as a much 'warmer' cream color in the artificial, incandescent lighting.

• awm03
    11 years ago

Just enjoy the seasonal change. Maybe add some blue accents for summer?

I have orange walls that go coppery brown in summer with all the greenish light coming in from big windows. Two paint jobs in one -- cool!

If you're getting that much green cast from your light, you must have beautiful, big windows. Sounds wonderful.

• sweeby
    11 years ago

FunColors beat me to it...

I'd also suggest raiding your closet for different creams and off-whites. Set them out and see if any of those colors resist 'greening' --

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Tint your windows red or don rose-colored glasses.
    Casey

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

If your windows are to the north, it may not be the reflection of your lawn. We lived on a lake and had a deck with no view of grass and my walls had a green tint too. Google "paint for room with north windows" for more information. Drove myself absolutely nuts trying to achieve a warm color, until I did some research. Good luck!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I think you could fix this with some white sheers, to filter the light coming in and diffuse it a bit. A more matte final coat will also reflect less of the green from outside I would think.

• divasurfbird
    2 years ago

Well not too late for me! I’ve been in painting hell for years now and I appreciate your advice. What I think is true is that the glass itself tints green. I had beams going outside that I was trying to match and I found many new ways to confound the problem.

One trick I learned is in BMoore paint information where they show color combo to go with your color they also have an option to select “Similar colors” and they show like colors but with different undertones. It’s a great jumping off point.

Hint: Never use full spectrum colors in places like I just described.