Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cind11

Has Restoration Hardware lost their minds???

cind11
9 years ago

Just got a delivery from UPS. It was 4 lifestyle books and 9 category books all bound together in plastic from RH. The thing weighed 15 lbs!!! They say "Our 13 source books now come to you just once a year, all together in one package. Combined with our carbon-neutral shipping practices and our responsibly sourced paper, that adds up to a significantly reduced impact on the environment". Umm excuse me? Pretty sure this has quite a significant impact. I am appalled. I don't know if I have ever even bought anything from them. This is crazy!!

Comments (13)

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Read about other rants here......

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg051300334180.html

• chispa
    9 years ago

cind11, on the other thread one of the poster called RH and had them send UPS back to pick up the "package" ... I just got mine yesterday and I'm very tempted to do the same. If we just accept them, they will just continue to send them out. This one seems bigger than last year's bundle.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I remember it from last year, and at the time thinking it was insane! I don 't understand their continued expense on advertising.

Now if this were a Hollywood situation, word on the street would be someone
    must be sleeping with the producer.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

So strange, and wasteful, that you would get these when you're not even a regular customer. I actually have bought several shipped items from RH during the last several years yet have never received a catalog in the mail (not that I want to!).

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I received them last year. I did go to their store as I often used to do but I tried to like something to purchase and there just wasn't anything. It used to be such a treat to go there back in the day.

Now the catalog presentation is so self conscious that it hinges on the ridiculous. They must really have an ax to grind with their former self and are now just going ahead and committing suicide. We know you can do black and white dark and moody, misty pics, but can you show us what something really looks like in a room? The specs and actually the cost and real colors? Not everyone lives in an altered state.

• cind11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops I missed the other thread. I am going to contact them is some way to voice my displeasure. My catalogues are going directly in the recycling!!

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

No, they have not. In fact, quite the contrary.

Restoration Hardware has been extremely profitable in their new incarnation. It might not be the store many of us remember, and the products and marketing might not be what many on this forum want, but what the CEO has done strategically over the past couple of years with the RH product lines and pricing is having major positive impact on the firm's revenues.

See details below in link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Financial Report 4Q 2013

• allison0704
    9 years ago

I received the bound catalogs last year. I tossed pretty quickly, and haven't purchased anything from them in awhile. If I receive a set this year, I am going to have them returned. I think that's a great idea. Then I am going to be sure I don't receive them ever again by asking them to remove me from their mailing list. I'd rather get them in an email, but they send way too many emails now. Time to unsubscribe to several sources again.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 8:05

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I received mine over a week ago. They are still sitting in the carport. The package is so large that I dont want to bring it in the house. I imagine it will sit there a couple more days until I throw it in the recycling bin. The good news is that a huge lizard is living in my carport and uses the space between the carport wall and the catalogs as a place to hide. I love seeing him around.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Go to the link below to a Source Book subscription.

My current beef with RH is I ordered some pillow covers. A month or so after I ordered them (March?), I was informed they were on backorder until OCTOBER!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Source Book cancellation

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Mine could be in the mailbox at this very moment. I bought outdoor light fixtures a couple of years ago, and in return get their over zealous supply of catalogs.

Thank you bbstx, I canceled 'just in case', and hopefully won't get them next year. Such a waste of paper and ink!

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

I've found catalogchoice.org quite effective at stopping unwanted catalogs, including RH catalogs. RH's catalogs seem to be deliberately and startlingly anti-environment.

Here is a link that might be useful: catalog choice website

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

"Not everyone lives in an altered state."

Perfect! It sums up what I have felt over the last several years looking through these catalogs but lacked the words to articulate, that something is not quite right in the mood and ambience. In comparison, just finished looking through SunnyCottage's Pinterest link. Now that is a "catalog" I'd love to have!