Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlechic

Show me just a little leg please....

LittleChic
9 years ago

In our current renovation property, I really want to use some co-coordinating colors and have been toying with the idea of placing wallpapered panel inserts into the backs of open shelving. I want the home to show a little something unexpected but not overwhelming...

GW, Pinterest and Houzz have lovely images that have stirred my imagination, and I just long to have a little bit of pattern and pop to our property. Tastefully done of course (wink)

I do understand the collective moans of wallpaper naysayers (ie removal struggles)...thus, I think panels are a possibility.

My query is, if you were viewing a property for sale, and such application was in effect, would it a put off to you? Have you seen any tasteful for sale properties utilizing coverings (in any fashion)?

I am going to post this in another forum as well so apologies if you have seen this more than once. Thanks so much, and as along time "lurker" I am delighted to be a part of GW.

Comments (7)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I put patterned contact paper inside a bathroom mirror and cabinet, and I love it.

Only thing that would turn me off would be wallpapered walls. If I didn't like the wallpaper someone had behind open shelving, it wouldn't be a breaking point for the sale since it'd be just a little bit to remove. It could also be a selling point!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Wall paper or contrasting paint inside shelving has been quite common the last few years. I don't think it would be off-putting to a potential buyer.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Interesting question; I've been wondering the same. The house I'm working on (see Flipping by default) has 4 plain, old-fashioned bedroom closets, 3 hall closets (2 w/shelves) and a large linen/towel closet w/shelves in one bath. To say they're boring is a massive understatement. I've been wondering if mirrors or foil (the kind Ikea uses) could be used on the back walls for some interest.

92 w/s

• LittleChic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the input! I am open to hearing the good, the bad and the ugly...

Tibbrix, I had not thought about inside a medicine cabinet, what a unique idea. That is very creative, quirky and cool without being startling. I may "cabbage" that idea, if you don't mind. I always like the unexpected (more often than not)...

Errant, your comment covers what I have seen here at GW Pinterest and Houzz. Agreed that wallpaper is being utilized in interior design, I simply have found no positive feedback for its use in regards to sale of properties. Granted they may just be talking about entire rooms of wallpaper. Thank you for thoughts about potential buyers.

tomatofreak, nice to meet a fellow renovator (or flipper as the case may be). I will assuredly check out the forum you gave. I completely feel your pain over the blandness of the property. I lament that the grand old 1900 colonial has been stripped bare of her original moldings, doors etc. We are not restoring her but renovating and I too want to give her some modern day "amour"! I would think some mirror work could help brighten and enlarge the space if placed in a good location. Are you talking tiles or hanging? (ah perhaps I should go to your posts in other forum, forgive me).

ogoopogo, will do! :)

• User
    9 years ago

The probability is that whatever you put in your house today will be completely dated by the time you sell it, and further, whoever buys your house will probably not like it and change the decor even if it is new. Some homes have wallpaper. As it is a more durable and expensive choice than paint, it is often found in higher end homes, and most often on the walls. I would say that finding an application of panels inserted into the backs of bookcases would look like an HGTV trick and a potential buyer would be happy it could be removed without leaving a trace of evidence :-)

• pps7
    9 years ago

Depends on the wallpaper:)

I've attached a link that uses fabric and foam board which makes it cheaper to do and easier to remove or switch out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric back of shelves

• LittleChic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kswl, I had to smile at the notion of HGTV trick, as I have long since stopped watching their programming but indeed, the blogs and internet are full of examples and I dare say that Hgtv has implemented the notion. My goal is indeed to little "evidence" if any of an interior design crime lol. I have looked at zillow and trulia and you are so right about some of the really higher priced real estate being sold with paper. It is either period paper, or modern/current selections and more often than not, it is a mere accent not a room gobbler.

pps7 ooooo! Thanks so much :) Fabric ??? oh, I am liking that already. (what a cool diy blog)

Much appreciation to all of you for opening up new possibilities and giving some insight for another perspective.