Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maui9603

8 bathroom knobs, paint them or replace them?

I have been looking to update my son's bathroom. We have many projects going on but if I see a great deal on something, in this case a faucet, I snatch it up to add to the project. I was able to score a new faucet for a great deal. It's for my 2 boys' bathroom, ages 6 and 3. So it does take quite of abuse. The faucet is chrome and looks great. the knobs on the cabinets are brass/gold. I only need 8. I am trying to decide if painting them will be a savings considering the time, given I only need 8. I was looking on ebay and simple chrome circular knobs are anywhere between $1-2 each. I have no experience painting hardware and am curious if it really would be a money saver for me, or better just to purchase them. Has anyone purchased hardware on ebay? any other sites for inexpensive chrome hardware. Guess, I would probably need to do the hinges too, which is another element into the cost factor. Thanks in advance and sorry if I rambled.

Comments (15)

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I painted the handles in my kitchen orb colored, then hit them with three coats of polyurethane. I was so lazy I didn't even take them off, just painted them in place. They have held up pretty well, and touch-ups are easy. Just don't expect them to wear as well as new hardware, and you'll save a ton of money. It's a trade-off between upkeep and cost, so up to you.

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks oceanna, what would you say is the cost to paint. Can of primer and spray paint? If I could get the knobs for $2 a piece plus shipping, that would only be about $20 for new. But that's ebay, if that wouldn't be a good source, then likely it would be more expensive if I go through the box stores. I don't need the hinges, just checked and they are hidden and already chrome.

• paintergirl94
    12 years ago

You do not need to prime if you use no-prep metal paint by DecoArt. You can buy it at your local craft store (I get mine at Michael's). A 2oz. bottle, in the finish/color of your choice, costs less than $2. Brush on one coat, let dry, apply second coat. Once it fully cures, it will not scratch off. I swear by it and I know many others on this forum have used it.

You can also buy no-prep spray paint at any big box store for about $5 - 6/can.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

You're welcome. I did not prime. I used Triangle Crafts Sophisticated Finishes in Blackened Bronze Metallic Surfacep (not a typo). Got it at Michaels. It wasn't cheap. Seems to me it was about $17 for a very small 4 oz. bottle. But that little bottle goes a LONG way and can do those knobs plus several other projects for you.

• masonmum
    12 years ago

Have you checked Target's home improvement section? They have several styles (and finishes) of cabinet knobs and pulls and are very reasonably priced. I sound like a Target ad! :P.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

I've seen packs of 10 knobs at Lowe's for $9.99. Less than $1 a knob. I've purchased the satin nickel and ORB which were closer to 1.50 for the style I chose.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I second the suggestion to try Target. I found some knobs at HD that I liked; they weren't expensive, but then found a pack of the exact same knobs at target for even less. I was really surprised!

• amielynn
    12 years ago

Replace, painting seems to be more of a challenge.

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. If I could find them for $1-$1.50 each, then I think I'll replace them. If not, painting seems to be more cost effective. I just wasn't sure if Ebay would be a good source for that price, never thought to check Target! Thanks everyone for the info, appreciate the help.

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

Another place to check for some fun knobs is Hobby Lobby, tho being the thrifty shopper I am I only buy when they are on sale.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

Can't find my exact one at the moment if you search knobs priced low to high several chrome for under $1.50.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes knobs

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I have a simliar issue. I opted to paint and bought some Rust-oleum in a Satin Nickel finish. I didn't like how they came out so I opted to purchase the contractor pack at Lowe's for 10 knobs.

• lyfia
    12 years ago

If you have a Habitat re-store or similar store in your area that would be another place to check, or check craigslist.

I suggest getting new since it is so few that I'm guessing the cost to paint would be about the same.

• mykingcomforter
    12 years ago

Some things are just better to replace. With little kids and sticky hands, the knobs will need to be cleaned more often, so they would not hold up as if they were in a guest bath or a master bath. There are so many cute knobs, that could really add a nice touch to the bathroom decor.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyFavoriteBedding

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the info, I didn't find any polished chrome at my Target last night. Heading to the depot and lowes today at lunch. I'll let you know what I find.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio