Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heating elements, length of drapes, help

Posted by sonicmom (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 17:40

We have baseboard heating in our house, and I've been working on replacing some of our 20 year old window treatments. In the master bedroom, cotton curtains with tie-backs (leaving radiators mostly uncovered) were replaced with long, luxurious linen drapes that cover the radiators (why do they have to be right under the windows?). In the living room, on the wide picture window, we now have short, just past the sill drapes. The length is mostly hidden by the sofa. The ones I love (long story) cover the baseboard heating elements along that floor and pool a bit on the floor. It's hard to tell now, in this weather, what the results of covering up the heating elements will be, come winter. For you that live in cold climates, is it really an issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heating elements, length of drapes, help

My furniture also hides the length of most of my drapes, but there are 2 places where they're visible and anything other than floor-length would have looked silly. I went ahead and hung them anyway and figured I could always hem (ok, safety pin...I rarely sew!) them up when the heat came on. We could stand having it look weird for a few months out of the year.

It turned out to not really be a problem. They get warm, but not hot, and they cover just a tiny part of the baseboard heater. They are a very light burlap-ish fabric, though; I might not have tired it with something heavy and rich like velour.

o
RE: Heating elements, length of drapes, help

Well, radiators are under windows because cold air coming off the windows falls, and warm air rises off the radiators. You would have a cold convection air current in the room if they were locates somewhere else. ( I work in HVAC)

Curtains help insulate against the window edge, which can block air leaking in during the winter. They offer shading in warm weather to lower your solar gain and save on cooling costs.

You should be fine generally to have curtains at your windows with radiators. Most hot water systems are 120-140 degree water. If you have space heaters then you need to be very careful.

o
to clarify-- Heating elements, length of drapes, help

I re-read what I posted above, and want to be more clear.

To clarify, if you have space heaters, infa-red, or other heat types that warn against contact with flammables, you need to NOT have curtains or furniture on or near. In this situation also be mindful of tipping, blowing, and falling hazards that could place flammables next to the heat source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here