Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohgoodness

Is this rug too small

ohgoodness
9 years ago

I just received this rug today. I love the rug, but I'm afraid it might be too small. WDYT?

Comments (23)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

It would look nice if the rug ran the length of the foyer.

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, that does look better, thx!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd pull that one into the hallway and get a square one for just inside the door, same genre of carpet but different pattern.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest what beverly said - same rug type but length of hall. It's a beautiful rug!

• User
    9 years ago

Absolutely I agree with Beverly. It needs to cover the length of the foyer. I'd not break it up with 2 different patterns.

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just ordered another Kazak. It is a little different pattern. I really like the first one, but I didn't find anything quite like it in the right size. The one I just ordered is the same width, but will cover the entire foyer. Hopefully it will work better. I'd love to use the first one further up the hall, but the hall widens past the foyer so there really isn't a good spot for it. I guess it will go back. I'll post when the new one arrives. Unfortunately, as soon as I bought it the image went away and now I can't find a picture of it.

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My new rug came today. I like it, but I'm concerned that maybe it's too vibrant and doesn't work with the living room rug. What do you think? I intended to do something more traditional, but for some reason I really fell for these Kazak rugs. I was hoping the rug could give the hallway more life. I want to get a wall mirror too, but I haven't found the right one yet. Also, if it will work, I still have the first one. Should I use it further down the hall? I plan to get rid of the bench and put a demilune hall table there instead. Not sure that rug is large enough for that spot. Maybe it should go back. The new rug is slightly more vibrant red than the first one.

• seww
    9 years ago

It's gorgeous! Where did you purchase it?
    Sue

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My living room

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx! I bought the first one at overstock and the second at Catalina Rug. Happy with the service of both. Should I keep both or send first one back? Must admit keeping both will cost more than I intended to spend.

Here's the rest of the hall.

This post was edited by kew2006 on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 17:26

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love it. I love the two different patterns. Both rugs are beautiful, and they compliment each other and your floor beautifully.

Frankly, I'd say that, when you can afford it, get a third in yet another pattern for the base of the stairs, the space between the two rugs. Maybe even a round one there.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love the new one. It's perfect! While your first one is pretty, too, I don't think it adds anything to the space placed by the bench. Since you love the style, maybe you'll decide to get a more vibrant one for the living room someday.

Perhaps some colorful pillows on the bench that pull colors from both the living room and entry rugs?

• theclose
    9 years ago

The new one is perfect!!! Love the colors and I think it goes well with the living room. As far as I am concerned, the foyer is it's own room - that rug makes it.

Hmmm...I don't think you need one in front of the bench.

• seww
    9 years ago

I love them both and would find a place for both!
    Sue

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I agree with you. Funny, before I read your thoughts on it being too vibrant, my first thought was it is too bright and the wrong type of red with your floor color. I also like the pattern of the first better and its pattern better with your other rug, maybe all the diamond shapes.

If you're wondering if it"s off, it probably is.

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To be honest, I've never liked the living room rug. When I saw it in the store hanging, the brown and red diamonds weren't as noticeable. When I got it home on the floor they seemed glaring to me. If those diamonds were the color of the other diamonds, I would like it more. But, I bought it after my puppy chewed up the rug I had and it was super cheap, less expensive than the new foyer rug even. It served a purpose so I kept it. Three years later, the puppy has grown and is much calmer. After getting on the Kazak kick, I've bed eyeing this one for the living room. Of course, I'll need new drapes to go with that rug. This is how it starts.

But, if the color isn't good with the floor, then I need to go in another direction. Any others want to chime in? I know sometimes people are hesitant to be the lone dissenter.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

My 2 cents is that it works pretty well, but I might just go with the one rug in the foyer. Your living room is so beautiful, btw! I love the fp detail and how wonderful everything looks together, even the rug you dislike. You are so right -- if you get a new LR, you'll soon be swapping out so many things (as I know all too well).

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I like just one rug and I like the new more vibrant rug better

• ohgoodness
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'm leaning toward keeping the new rug and sending the first one back and leaving the living room alone. I'm going to sleep on it, but pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. I was looking to add excitement to the entry and I think this does it.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Good choice!

• theclose
    9 years ago

I think you are making the right choice! The entry looks great with that rug.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I hope having slept on it, you decided to keep the new rug and keep the LR as it is.

One thing you can do if you choose, because it will not change the price of eggs in China, but might/might not look just right is to add some pillows on your sofa that reflect the bright color of the rug. You would have to choose carefully but another idea is to keep the rug and have it made into a couple pillows or use it in an askew fashion in the LR as an accent.

Sometimes the unexpected is just what a room needs.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the longer rug in the entry is great! And I don't think you need more than one in there.

Your living room is lovely the way it is, so I wouldn't change that rug (which might lead to new curtains, pillows, lamps, and on and on!).