Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Front door is on :)

zipdee
15 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone that has helped me through this project!! We're very happy with how it turned out. We had planned on getting a lot more done, like the stairs repainted, but the rain moved in quick on us. I still haven't found replacement lights, when I do that hanging light will be coming down.

Not sure if the urns are staying next to the door yet or not. What do you think of them?

{{gwi:1703673}}

{{gwi:1703676}}

{{gwi:1703678}}

Comments (42)

• ttodd
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I didn't give input on the door but I wanted to say that your place looks fantastic! What a charming home.

• les917
    15 years ago

Glad the door worked out for you!

The urns are a nice idea, but they are a bit too close to the door, and make the door feel smaller and crowded, I would try moving them maybe 6 inches out, which will carry your eye outward and make the whole door area feel wider and more substantial. I would also rather see the pots in white.

WIll you be staining the shingles on the dormer to match the front door color?

Personally I would rather see you keep the overhead lighting idea, but just get a fixture that sits closer to the porch ceiling.

Do you have lighting in the ceiling out there? This could be a great time to add some recessed lights all along there, which will really brighten up the porch and night and also on rainy days, and bring some light into the house.

It really is a charming place!

• cutter333
    15 years ago

Wow, it looks great. I love the urns.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Your front entrance looks beautiful. I do like the idea of side lights because they would only add to the charm your house has. Forgive me, I'm a nut for sconces and lighting fixtures. Les' idea about the recessed lights is a good one. We have those installed on our porch and they give great lighting.

• fussy_chicken
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, I love your home. The door turned out great. I agree the ferns could be moved just a bit out from the door. The right end of the porch seems to be the perfect spot for a porch swing!

I have a yellow house too and it makes me sooo happy! :)

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Oh, wow. It oozes charm - just oozes, I tell ya! Yup slide those ferns out a bit more from the door - the urns are nice but honestly, I'd like to see something a bit less ornate, possibly white although the color now isn't bothering me at all. I like the idea of lights flanking the door but think Les's idea of a fixture closer to the ceiling would work well, too.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Charming House!

• msrose
    15 years ago

I can't remember what the original door looked like now. Do you have a "before" shot?

Laurie

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Wow, so glad you kept that door. It came out great. What did you do to fix all the little holes that were in the door. I also like the urns. Now all you need is a porch swing and a glass of lemonade:)

• budge1
    15 years ago

I love the door. It's such a warm glowing colour. Turned out perfect.

I agree with les that the urns should be moved out just a titch, but they look great. Love that touch of greenery.

Now, about that red fridge ...

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Zipdee,
    I love your entrance and the door is so perfect.
    Beautiful home

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Breathtaking....I'm so glad you didn't give up on that door. It's so worth it to see if refinished. Everything came out perfectly!

• merrygardener
    15 years ago

It looks wonderful!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    15 years ago

It's great. If you move the urns outward a bit, it will be even better.

Love everything about your home,

Jan

• User
    15 years ago

Zipdee, I wish we had your door on our house? You did a beautiful job. I hope you're glad you stuck with it.

Is your light fixture original? Could you get a closeup of it? If it is original, I'd just shorten it and keep it. If not, I'd still go shorter. Do you have any vintage lighting stores near you?

We have the same mailbox as you - that's what I'd strive for a more vintage look with.

I very much like the urns and I'd move them about 6 inches further out from the door.

Your house is looking really great!
    away from the door.

• User
    15 years ago

The door is brilliant and your home is wonderful! I love that style of architecture, and you've made it beautiful.

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

zipdee
    oh how I love your home! it is one of my very favorite styles and yours is just beautiful! Glad you kept the door too, it came out wonderful !
    Ree

• robynpa
    15 years ago

You have a lovely and very charming home! I think the door looks perfect!

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

That is fabulous!! You and your hubby did an amazing job!

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

zip

Looks stunning - can we see a before pic

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Gorgeous, ZipDee! I just love your house. You're very lucky to have such a charmer and have done such a beautiful job.

I think the urns look great. The height of your plantings is good, too. I'd just move them out to the sides a bit more away from the door; a little too close/cramped. Is that a fern? What type? I wonder if the height that one gets would be good for MiMi's urns if she's here : )

Curious about your hanging light. When I play with things like that, I'm always worried about how low they fall. How high is yours and it doesn't interfere with traffic or the door swing at all (hard to see depth in the pic)? It looks like it might hit at about 6 feet.

Did you ever get that funky sofa??? : )

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

ZipDee, I love the doors and the urns. Your home is almos perfect now to me. It is so inviting and has wonderful curb appeal. I think the fixture should just be hung a little bit higher. I also love the color of your home, the wooden steps, the porch, the white railings, etc. I really like your home and the changes made it now a "Wow".

• mry193
    15 years ago

ZipDee, I've so enjoyed seeing the transformation of your house. It is looking so good! I'm also very impressed with how quickly you and DH have made all the changes. Wish I could move at that speed. If I'm remembering correctly, you had window boxes on the porch railings .... hope you'll post pics when (if?) they are back and filled with flowers. I'm a sucker for window boxes ... so pretty.
    Congrats on all your success and thanks for sharing.

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

Love, love, LOVE that door! I think it turned out wonderfully! The urns look a little dark to me, but I think part of it is the lighting in the photo. I think they'd probably be fine in real daytime lighting (if moved over a bit as everyone's suggested).

I also really like the existing light, too, but I'd hang it so that the chain is only around 6" long.

GORGEOUS home, Zipdee!!!

• teacats
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!!! really really charming -- but add my vote to simply shortern the chain on the hanging lamp.

Jan

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First, thanks so much for all the kind comments, everyone's help and letting me share. I really appreciate being able to come here and get all the fabulous input that you all offer.

Upon everyone's advice I moved the ferns out away from the door a bit this morning. They look much better, thanks! I also hung an inside sheer, with being in town we need that for privacy. I noticed in those pics you could see all the way down the hall from the street. *LOL* You can kind of see the old wavey glass a little better in these pics.

{{gwi:1703681}}

{{gwi:1703685}}

Let me try to answer the questions that have been asked.

Les .. we will be staining the shakes to match the front door, I've already had the gallon of stain made up and that's on the hit list for this coming weekend. We have put two recessed lights in, one on each side of the porch, but they're not wired to a switch yet. We still need to put some on the patio side, that's on the hit list too, once they are all in we'll be wiring a switch so they be live. I was having an awful time finding urns, all of the garden centers seem to be wiped out right now. These were as close as I could find to the right height. So I figured they'd be fine until I could find something better since I can always use them else where around here.

Dlm2000 .. I agree the urns are a bit fussy for the house, I think that a some point they'll be delgated to the garden areas.

MsRose and Jejvtr ... Here's a before of the house, with the other door on, kind of badly made brick stairs and cement under sized sidewalk.

{{gwi:1703687}}

Gk5040 .. I never could completely cover the nail holes in the door, but Patser told me where to find replacement metal weather stripping for the door on another post. :) That's what was on the door originally and caused the holes. I'm going to put an order in for that today, once that's installed, the nail holes will be completely covered again.

Budge .. totally haven't forgot about the red fridge! ;)

Patser .. thanks so much for the instruction for the weather stripping, I read that this morning. I'm going to put an order in today for that. That is not the original light for the porch. Unfortunately we don't have a reproduction type lighting place close by. I have no idea what would have been appropriate for this house either. When I looked at what everyone else had up for lighting, it just looked like stuff you'd find at home depot or lowes for the most part. I would like to replace the mailbox too, I'm actively search for something new. I want something that looks old, but not too frilly, kind of understated.

Squirrelheaven ... I didn't get the sofa, after a lot of measuring, I found that it would have been way too large for the room I wanted to put it in. The ferns are Fishbone ferns ( Nephrolepis cordifolia ) .. they work great in places where you want to add height. I'm not sure where MiMi lives, but you can find these at about any garden center in NC right now. The light is way too low, it's actually broken, the chain that was holding it broke and can't be fixed. It is about 6ft right at the moment and my very tall DH never fails to smack his head on it.

Mry193 .. We haven't had a chance to make new window boxes yet, I'm not sure if we'll get there this season or not. Once we get some back up, I'll post a pic for you though, thank for asking about them. :)

Again, thanks again everyone for taking the time to look at the pics and your kind posts. We still have a hit list to do on the outside front, like some of the lower trim near the foundation needs to be replaced and maybe nice lattice skirts put up to cover that area. New lighting for the porch, stain the shakes, repaint the porch floor and steps, which will probably be last on the list. Also new landscaping, redo the front beds, which I'm still a bit puzzled on, so I'm trying no to rush that and think it through. I wish Annabelle hydranga were evergreens, I've fallen in love with them! If they were I'd do a mass planting across the front, with some shade loving plants in front of them and call it a day. *LOL*

• lindasc
    15 years ago

Beautiful door, just love it and I agree the urns are great, just move out some.

• User
    15 years ago

What a charming home! The new door is just the perfect touch!

• julies_kitchen
    15 years ago

Your home is so warm and inviting! I too am glad you used the old door. What paint color did you use on the exterior? It's perfect! :)

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the kind comments!

Julies, the house body is painted SW Compatible Cream and the trim color is SW Dover White.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! :) I love everything about the house and it reminds me of an old Georgia town, from when I was little, that I use to visit with my best friend.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

lol, ZipDee on the light : ) Thanks for the reality check. I love that Compatible Cream for a house color. It looks perfect.

• perky_2
    15 years ago

Beautiful. I would never have thought to use Compatible Cream for the exterior house color (I have it in my foyer and love it)but it is sooo perfect for your home. Just adorable!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

zipdee, I just realized this is the front shot of your house and I went back and saw you response about it looking different. The older shots from the side show your porch and side steps and your porch looks like the color of ours and it was from this photo that I was inspired to pick a red brick for our stairs and stairs to close in under the house.

From the old photo's your house, street and houses around your neighborhood looks like one of many here in New Orleans. If you hadn't said where you purchased your plants I would have thought you lived here. LOL

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! I think your door is wonderful.......bonnie

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Zipdee, congratulations -- what a payoff for all that hard work! Your home is really lovely. I can see a Gardenweb get-together on that veranda... all of us chatting, juleps in hand...(:

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate you all taking a look and your gracious comments!

Brutuses, I've seen the home you are building and it's wonderful!! Reminds me so much of all the older Southern homes/cottages around here. I'm very flattered that one of the pics of the house inspired you to pick the bricks for your stairs. Our whole foundation is acutally that same brick, the front had for some reason been 'parged' before we moved in here, that's why it's painted white in the picture.

Walkin_yesindeed .. wouldn't that just be a ball! :) :) Of course while you all where here, you could give me pointers on what to do with my gardens!

I have a quick question for you all ... I found these planters, do you think the largest one of the bunch ( the 28" ) would be a good replacement for the urns I have out there right now? I love that celery green color, wonder how it would look against the yellow? I bet I could probably find cushions for the seating to help tie the color in. Anyhow .. what do you guys think ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Toulon Planter

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Looking really good, zipdee! I love the new brick walkway and the much more appropriate stairs. Wavy glass wood door is of course perfection. Have you looked online at rejuvenation for a flush mount period appropriate light? Their website is very user friendly and you can narrow your search by the period and type of fixture. Even if you don't like their prices, you can get a feel for the style of fixture that would work and look for something somewhere else (I have had good luck with Lamps Direct and Lamps Plus).

Are you planning to replace the white boards along the bottom of the porch, too? Looks like they might have seen some better days, too?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

I love the planters, Zipdee, but can't picture the celery green (not that it wouldn't go, but *I* just can't picture it). If it were me, I'd go with the brownish color (I think they call it terra cotta, but it looks more brown to me). And I do think I'd like that planter better than the urns you have now, which seem too dark and too formal, IMO (although not so much so that they detract from the house -- I just think these will go better).

• zipdee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sarschlos_Remodeler! I'll check out Rejuvenation and see what they have.

Those white trim boards along the bottom are on list to be replaced. We are also going to move the hose spigot while we are at it, it's a bad place for it to cause rot. I'm thinking about making up boxed lattice skirts to cover that area below the boards when we replace them too. I checked last weekend and Lowes has some pressure treated lattice with very small diamonds that would look much more period appropriate than regular lattice.

Thanks Hoosiergirl!! I'll go back and take a look at the terra cotta. I have to admit the celery make my little heart beat faster though *LOL* .. so pretty!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I like the lattice idea. That also has the added benefit of improving airflow under the house, which helps prevent mold.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

Beautiful door and I love the urns too. It looks great!