Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natesgram_gw

Found removeable window privacy film - pic

natesgram
12 years ago

I just wanted to share something I've been looking for. We are moving (again) to a new apartment and the windows in the bathroom and closet were clear. Although they have blinds, I wanted to be able to get light and privacy. Here is a picture of the closet (I've never had a window in a closet!) with the film on 3/4 of the window. I love it.

They had different sizes and prints, I used mosaic. It was easy to measure and cut, simple(I just wet my hand and wiped the window)and applied to the glass. I wiped off any bubbles and it sticks. Easy to reposition or remove. I was able to get 2 windows done with extra left over. My daughter bought some to put on the outside of her shower. Just wanted to share.

Comments (11)

• natesgram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, you might like to see where I found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed Bath and Beyond

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

That is exactly what I need. People suggested it to me before, but seeing it looking so good makes me want it NOW! I will head to BB&B on my way home from school tomorrow. I need it for french doors we are using as closet doors in our small guest bedroom. Thanks!!!

• les917
    12 years ago

Here is another source with an extensive collection:

wallpaper for windows

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Lowe's carries Gila Film. Pretty sure Home Depot does also (not sure of the brand). And ArtScapes at Ace.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Thanks for these links. I need to get these for our front door, so I can get rid of curtains.

• natesgram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm happy that it's helping someone else. I just wanted to mention that the ones that are vinyl and static cling are simple to remove or reposition. I think the site Les shows are similar in installation. What a lot of great choices on that site too.

We had one of the film types when we purchased our previous home and it was very difficult to remove. The one we had did cut out the glare and heat on the window.

For those that purchase either of the types, please post photos too.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link. I like the idea of using the film for privacy in those areas where I don't want to hang drapes. The boys bathroom has a large window right next to the sink and I think I'll try the ones that are vinyl.

• dawn25
    12 years ago

Yesterday we installed the Artscape etched glass film in our bathroom. It was much easier than I thought it would be. It peels off the paper backing and installs on a wet window (add a couple drops of dish soap to a spray bottle of cold water). It came with a squeegee and you use that until it's dry underneath. It took about an hour to install and most of that was the measuring and cutting.

Here's a picture:

From May 14, 2011

Here is a link that might be useful: Artscape at Amazon

• natesgram
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks great Dawn and the reviews at Amazon on the product were really good. So nice to have the options of something like this or curtains/blinds.

• Penelope
    12 years ago

I picked up the Etched Leaf pattern of the Artscapes film at Home Depot to provide privacy, but light, for a basement door with a big window in it. It's really lovely and was easy to do. Unlike the old contact paper, this is a cling film so it's easy to remove, reposition, etc. I'm not sure I got every last bubble out of it, but the pattern hides that well.

I don't know if it will yellow or get brittle in the long term, but it's not too expensive so I'd be willing to replace it if I needed to.

• dirtymartini
    12 years ago

Thank you for sharing! I did not know that removable ones were available. That was the only thing holding me back from purchasing...the commitment! We have french doors as front doors (came with the house, we keep meaning to replace, but there is always something else to spend money on!) and I cringe when I hear a knock and I am half dressed or have no make up on.

I may go to BB&B today with my 20% off coupons! I will let you know if I do it, and post a pic!