Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

100% cotton velvet for sofas....a good choice?

three3apples
9 years ago

Now that I'm seeing the error of my ways in choosing a rayon, cotton, poly blend velvet for my keeping room settee (nap seems to change permanently when you sit on it!), I'm incredibly concerned that the two sofas I ordered for my family room will also be purchases I regret. I chose Hickory Chair velvet that is 100% cotton. I am doing a water spot test on my sample now, but the sample is too small for me to sit on with jeans and try to leave a mark the way our keeping room's velvet settee now has. Is this 100% cotton an equally impractical choice?

Comments (26)

• suero
    9 years ago

I have a 100% cotton velvet on my sofa that's lasted over 30 years. It is a Schumacher fabric. Based on my experience, I'd say that 100% cotton velvet is a very practical choice.

• chispa
    9 years ago

The Schumacher velvet that I mentioned this past year, the one that was damaged by plain water, is 88% cotton & 12% viscose. The water changed the color and the feel of the nap. Eight fully upholstered dining chairs had to be recovered.

• theclose
    9 years ago

My mother and aunt always swore by 100% cotton velvet. I had it on my last couch for 12 years and it looked great. I ended up giving the couch away 3 years ago, which is the only reason I don't know how it is faring today! I now have a different 100% cotton velvet on our current family room couch. 3 years later it still looks new. I have an almost 4 year old and a 1 year old. Love it.

• roarah
    9 years ago

My living room furniture is 100% cotton velvet and after almost three years, numerous kids snacks, cats and sun exposure they look as good as when brand new. I was told to avoid any blends when choosing upholstery. They pillar and wear poorly. Good luck!

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, all. i'm calmer now.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a deep red with a hint of persimmon. They arrive mid-June. I poured water on my sample and you'd never know. Wish I never chose the vcwt I did for the keeping room. I'm just going to let the cushion be used and flip it over when it begins to look awful. I just hope the back and arms don't become awful. I just can't believe that the weight of my body is enough to damage the fibers. Live and learn I guess.

• ddunn3
    7 years ago

Thank you for all the info I am thinking about a velvet sofa purchase. I am excited!!!

• PRO
    4Heidesign
    7 years ago

I made a slipcover for my couch this year using 100% cotton velvet. It’s held up beautifully well, with dogs slobber, napping husband and food spills, and looks like new. I love cotton velvet!

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    7 years ago

I've made cotton velvet drapes (not for myself) and the main issue I had with them was that they catch lint more easily than rayon or silk.

At JRS, we use 53% Silk 47% Cotton velvet, or a 68% Cotton 32% Poly velvet for our furniture. I prefer the silk/cotton blend.

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

Most real upholstery weight fabric has a rub count. It is something you should check before choosing any sofa fabric. My cotton velvet had a very high rub count and looks like new.

Sofa fabric durability

• Heather Watson
    7 years ago
    1. Hello All, I know this is an old thread but thought I ask a few questions anyway. I have a vintage Sherrill Chippendale w/mahogany feet which I'm thinking to recover in a Como Velvet, the JB Martin 100% cotton line not the cotton blend. I have 3 dogs who are not dirty or messy but are on the furniture quite a bit. Any thoughts about the Como? Any thoughts about emerald vs jade vs indigo? I'm leaning to green but it's on a 7 week back order and the indigo is available and on sale for ridiculous price! Thanks!
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

Without seeing your other furniture, it's hard to make a color recommendation.

There are some 11 yard pieces on eBay in 'Hot Pink', 'Bark Brown' and 'Army' that are great buys, under $275. HERE.

Indigo -

Emerald -

Jade -

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

I'm considering green velvet to recover my beloved Norwalk sofa. So from what I'm reading I need to look at either 100% cotton or a silk cotton blend?

• Heather Watson
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks my3dogs! Here's a pic of my living room now:

with my youngest girl who owns the sofa. When she's not on the sofa she's on that tufted ottoman in the middle of the room. I'm thinking Cannes Sage:
    Como Emerald:

• Heather Watson
    7 years ago

Or Como Indigo?

or maybe cognac (safe color lol):

• theclose
    7 years ago

Como Emerald is absolutely gorgeous!

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Emerald!! But I'm not objective-I love everything emerald.

(and everything velvet too, lol)

• Heather Watson
    7 years ago

I love that Como Emerald too! One sofa manufacturer told me he thinks that cotton velvet ages more gracefully than the poly/poly blends. He said that as the pile wears down cotton develops a certain patina that you can't get with a poly. I've seen some really beautiful poly/poly blend velvets but I think I will probably end up going with a cotton velvet just because of the classic style of the sofa. He also told me that como emerald is back ordered by months everywhere. I double checked this with a few other suppliers and he was correct. Also I will eventually change the color of the hideous tufted ottoman/dog bed. Any opinions on Como Jade for a sofa?

• theclose
    7 years ago

I like the Jade but I LOVE the emerald. If this were for me (and I do hope to have a velvet sofa one day in emerald) I would wait for the emerald but you need to do what you think you will love.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

I'm going to put a pic of the 100% cotton velvet in 'Army' here. Unfortunate name, but it's not incredibly far off from the Jade just above. I'm a huge bargain hunter, so just have to share. :-)

11 yards for $330 on eBay, free shipping

Also, Bark Brown, 11 yards for $236.80, free shipping

• patty_cakes42
    7 years ago

Dogs, i'm loving the *Army* green! I think it's sort of sage-like and neutral. As for brown it seems to be so overused these days so I'm a naysayer when asked 'what about brown'. ;)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

My favorite velvet is a linen/cotton blend. The linen gives it a slightly "rougher" look so it doesn't show wear or stairs as easily as a flat cotton velvet. It's less expensive than 100% linen velvet and I've had great success with it. Kravet used to make one - haven't looked recently.

• Heather Watson
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the comments and insights. Patty Cakes-thanks for the links! I'm a huge bargain hunter also! As you can see in the pic the room is mostly neutral and pretty stripped down. It's a reflection of my recent (last 2 years) love affair with federal style furniture. I bought this sofa and loveseat on CL and unloaded my grey velvet lawson sofa....also on CL. I'm on the fence about the ottoman but my dog loves it so....sigh. I live in a Victorian Cottage, ca. 1870, all the rooms are approx 13x13 with 12' high ceilings. The house is also 2 blocks from Main st. in our small town....small city lot.....lots of trees on the property but after going crazy with neutrals I now feel the room needs a little color....like green. Loving the Emerald green but a little scared of it too! I want it to pop but not scream lol! Having said that...I keep coming back to stare at that Como Emerald!

• Heather Watson
    7 years ago

Hi Anglophilla, can you post any pics of linen/cotton velvet? And do you know if the double rubs are high on that type of fabric? Thanks!

• Shaune Palmer
    3 years ago

What about the 100% cotton velvet bruising marks? I have 10 month old chairs (indigo blue) with all kinds of bruising despite a 250 rub count from Lee Industries. Is this part of the patina I’m to expect over time?