Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Red brick, colonial slate roof, cream trim--other possibilities?

gsciencechick
9 years ago

We are having our trim painted on our humble home. If we want to change the color, now is the time. We are leaning towards keeping the current color given a lack of anything else that really inspires. Our deck will remain the cocoa color. only other color I've seen that I like is an olive color. The front door and shutters (vinyl) will remain black most likely.

I drove around the neighborhood to look at other homes, and I am totally uninspired. I don't like plain white. The little shrubs growing from a tree root in the front have been removed. It's an older photo but the exterior looks the same other than the deck has been painted.

Yep, that's all there is. Thanks, and Happy Mother's Day.

Comments (12)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Benjamin Moore Mountain Moss is a beautiful color and would look great with the brick and the black.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's an interesting color. It looks like a grey-green when I do some Google images searches.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think it's a great exterior color.

Nor sure though, how it would look against your deck boards.

• chispa
    9 years ago

BM Nantucket gray is a great color for the exterior. Looks brighter outside than the paint chip might suggest.

• voila
    9 years ago

I really like your cream trim. A darker trim seems too heavy for your house. The only thing I might do is to remove the shutters from the picture window and increase the size of the shutters on the smaller windows to the left to be of a size to close over the window (larger). You might want to paint your peaks to match the roof color, but sorry my photoshop skills are lacking. I wish someone would jump in. You already pulled the cream and black from your brick colors. I think I would stay with it except to paint the front door a brick red or paint the door trim black to make the door look more prominent.

• voila
    9 years ago

Hope you post your final pictures. Would love to see what you decided on.

• Jamie
    9 years ago

I love olive, it looks good year round, whether trees are in bloom, autumn color, or against snow. That said, my only concern would be that you don't go too dark. .
    Tribbix' Mountain Moss does seem nice.

I have used Bennington Gray, which is sometimes cream and sometimes slightly olive greenish, depending on the light.

You might want to look at Providence Olive, too.

My two picks look far less green, in isolation, than does the Moss, but I think that when you put them next to the brick the green comes forward. Both of them change a lot throughout the day.

We used SW fireweed for the clapboards, SW ripe olive for door and shutters, and BM compatible cream for the windows and other trim. So you know I love your color scheme.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Black is perfect for your front door and shutters, and I really like the cream trim with your brick and siding; white would be too stark. I'd stick with the current colors. Your house is so pretty and inviting. With those beautiful majestic trees, there's nothing humble about it!

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I have not been very successful with DH and greens. He is generally not afraid of color, so I will not bug him about it. Looks like we will keep the cream. I am fine with the cream. Our contractor pressure washed yesterday, and it looks better already, LOL.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Just one thought: you might consider painting just along the roof line a darker color, even the black. Sometimes with light trim (cream) and a light roof(gray) a contrasting color can give the house more distinction.

We have the same color roof, same color trim, with a sage green body. We used a darker trim color on just the edge of the roof line and it made the roof look much better.
    Diane

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, you did the "peak" area of the roof? Did you do any other areas? For example, under the roof that faces the side of the house?

Thanks.

• Laura94
    9 years ago

Do you have a post project photo you can share?