Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Plum Good...

User
10 years ago

I decided that the vintage porch glider and table and chairs needed a new fresh look. As you may know from past posts I love purple. I looked at a ton of shades and then the guy at Lowes said that this color was what I was looking for and that he could do it in the paint that I wanted to use . I got a Valspar oil base paint for metal. It sure is lovely to work with. I would have used Rustoleum but they can't put these colors in it. The table and chairs were stripped and sanded and spray painted by me a few years ago. I was never happy with the finish. The glider was a free be from my neighbor and I had it sandblasted and supposedly powder coated and then I spray painted it lavender. The guy that did it didn't do a very good job but too late now. I really put on a lot of thinner coats this time with the Plum Good. I am so happy with the shiny finish and hope that it will repel the stains from leaves etc as Fall comes. I smile every time I come out the door :)

before...from 2011:

now:

Comments (46)

• pirula
    10 years ago

Love it!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

What a lovely surprise, I love purple too. It looks just great.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oh, I love it. What a great color with the green bushes and the white siding!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I really like purple, but it wouldn't work with my old Cape in gold white cranberry door and bottle green shutters, but WOW - it sure look fabulous in YOUR yard!!!

They looked nice before. but this color is wonderful, and I can see why you smile when you see them.

• sameboat
    10 years ago

Oh how fun - I love it!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you !! I need to re-spray the two plastic stack tables. I usually have a lot of pots of flowers out there so set the whole thing off but with all the traveling we are doing every Summer there is no way to keep them watered.

my3dogs....funny ..you are right purple wouldn't go but I have seen your landscape/ river...it is stunning..you don't need any purple !

Ya'll are all sweet ! thank you again. c

• teacats
    10 years ago

Wonderful color -- so very summery and yummy!

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

very cool. Did you have to prime them before using the oil base Valspar?

• teeda
    10 years ago

Beautiful--great color choice!

• anitamo
    10 years ago

Love it!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Much better! I like the deeper color even better! Looks terrific. :)

If you decide to go even deeper still at some point, you have to check out Elderberry Wine. Scrumptious color. If we had a place to use it here, we would have, in a heartbeat. OMG you would love if!

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

I don't even care much for purple generally, but those look great! Beautifully done.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

Ooh...pretty....really pretty!!

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

Love it! Such a fun color! Wish I could find a glider locally like that. Have looked but no luck so far.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That shade really looks great with the brick and greenery! The yellow house in the background doesn't hurt either. Very nice patio area!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I like the color! Looks really awesome! But now, cushions should be orange, don't you think?

You do need cushions!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

That is just fantastic. I have been saying that I am starting to become obsessed with a perfect eggplant/aubergine/purple, and here you have it! Very clever for you to use it on your outdoor furniture like that!

• melsouth
    10 years ago

It looks great!!!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Love me some plum! All that's lacking is a pot of yellow Daisys for the table! :)

I was also going to mention a colorful pillow for the glider, but my outdoor pillow blew away last week and I can't find it anywhere! lol I just hope it doesn't ruin someone's combine in a couple of weeks. :(

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Well that's all kinds of happy! Very pretty.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Looks great...all you need to do is pop some coleus into the ground and you can carry the purple into the landscape all summer long....

• roarah
    10 years ago

Oh that purple makes me smile! you have such a happy home! Nice work!

• User
    10 years ago

Wonderful color! Just the right amount of unexpected :-)

The previous color looks more periwinkle blue--- nice, but the purple looks perfect!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW!! How sweet to get up to such great notes from you all ! Talk about a boost to the spirits.

I'll answer a couple things. Desertdance: I do need cushions...sigh..but I need new ones out on the front porch more and have done nothing about it. Getting the material and someone to sew as well as upholstering that needs to be done on the old wicker ...seems to hard . I would also like a really small umbrella for that purple table. Haven't seen any that small. Do you sew ?? Make housecalls ??? :)

Annie that is a gorgeous coleus. Here is a pic of what the area used to look like every Spring/Summer..

kellie it is a Valspar color. I hope you find just the right one for you !

oakley ..funny...such amazing wind ! I too hope it doesn't get sucked up in a combine !

cat...that is the thing about the oil Valspar...you have to use certain colors as the others won't go in the paint. They have a display and you have to pick from those. I am glad I found one I love !!

kswl..the glider had really faded. Another reason for using a brush and oil paint. I hope this lasts but I have a lot left LOL !!

marylu I saw 2 different yards in our neighborhood with almost the same old glider and table and chairs...all needed love and attn. Perhaps I need to make a midnight trip and get them for you !!!

roarah.what a sweet thing to say..thank you !

arlosmom...thank you !

thank you mel !

snookums, lizzie and bronwynsmom..thank you !! I didn't realize about the yellow house...but it does make a nice background. bronwynsmom..it is amazing but if you think about it there isn't anything that purple doesn't go with..it is almost a garden neutral !

anitamo, WMA and teacats...thank you !!

Sue ..no I just did a through cleaning and that was enough. I think that if there is loose paint or rust they suggest sanding and cleaning and priming. In the pics you can't tell but there is a fair amount of paint on the table and chairs. I really would love to splurge and have them sandblasted but would need to pay big bucks and find someone that is more reliable than the last guy. The paint was intact on the glider. It is lovely paint to work with. c

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Mmmmmmm. Luscious color!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

How lovely! There is a farm down the road from me that I always admire when I drive by. It has a wildflower garden with plum painted furniture too.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Oooh, so pretty. I just love your garden too, makes me want to go sit and read a book out there.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I love the fun pops of color it makes. I might must get as brave as you and do a little outside fun colored furnature painting. ( I keep chickening out ) Is it still early in the year where your at?The ground still looks pretty barren.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks kd !

dee...next time you go by there take a pic ! thank you!

marti that is exactly what I do :) thank you !

madeyna...no the plantings up close to the patio are what you are seeing...all very small as I re-did them last year. Hydrangeas and 2 rose bushes along there. Behind the glider is lush with plantings...also we have tree roots which suck the life out of everything after a time. I have had to replant the area back there every year since 2007...I am pretty tired of that LOL ! Glad you like the colors...post pics of yours when you do them ! c

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I,m thinking bright orange . Husbands thinking not;) I just planted 30 hydrangeas under some large trees . I am hoping the water sucking thing doesn,t happen here. I live in the northwest though so we do have plenty of rain to go around.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

I LOVE YOUR NEW COLOR! I liked the set before, but
    this makes me smile as I am a purple loving Irish girl :-)
    Your house and yard are so lovely to look at.

• mdrive
    10 years ago

love your vintage glider!!!!!

my MIL had one EXACTLY like yours and seeing it again brings back such wonderful memories....

those gliders were the bomb! i would pay a pretty penny just to find another one in good condition!

fantastic job, trailrunner!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you irish ! You gotta love purple..it is just so perfect :)

desert..thank you for telling me that ! I am so glad you enjoyed the pics and have such sweet memories. I would love to have my Grandmother's wonderful porch glider and chairs and footstool and coffee table. It was all on a glass porch in OH. All done in the loveliest chintz you ever saw...I am sure my parents gave it to the junk man ..sigh. It was worth a fortune now. Keep looking and I know you will find one..there are a lot of them around here. c

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

It's so great and I love it! Perfect! I can see yellow, just like the purple and yellow coleus Annie posted. I'm thinking of a big Georgia O'Keefe painting I've seen somewhere with those colors. That glider is THE BOMB!!

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Love it! Purple is my favorite color.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

outsideplaying...I have some yellow paint and some bright blue. Those old windows on the wall of the little house need shutters and paint...I think you are inspiring me !! Thank you for your enthusiasm !!

thank you texan ! mine too. c

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Just saw this and had to add my "love it" to the others. Just a great look and a great play of color with all the greens and other colors. How fun!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Love the new color!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Love it! We also have a vintage glider and the pattern looks like your chairs. I also have a chair, but I think the pattern is more like your glider - haha ours are reversed! Ours are painted dark hunter green and my husband sprayed them (he has access to a paint booth) with auto paint. They have held up great! I have table, chairs and chaise in wrought iron - matching color. I don't use a pad on my glider either (it's comfy as is), but do use pillows. My husband has been known to fall asleep on the glider LOL.

tina

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for chiming in lascatx ! I moved around some pots this am and it certainly is pretty after all the rain :)

Thank you allison !!

tina that is so funny ! Please post pics..I am sure everyone would love to see. I know I would . I sure wish I could have gotten my auto repair guy to do it for me..he is just to busy and has stopped all painting but car repairs. May have to make a road trip to see you ! You are right it is all very comfy without pads..need to look at throw pillows just for the fun element :)

I have table 4 chairs and 2 chaise also in dark green wrought iron. I sprayed them a few years ago and they have held up very well. I do use cushions on them..they really need it . I still need a new umbrella sigh...c

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I loved the old paint job when you showed it a couple of years ago and love the new purple even better! It is perfect for your grounds.

I have a couple of very old chairs that I need to refurbish, but I can't find anyone with a sandblaster. Did you have all the pieces sandblasted? Is it possible to sand/strip these types of old chair by hand? I really need to get mine finished.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Tuesday..I stripped the table and chairs by hand..it is a bear of a job ! I used my electric palm sander with some sand paper I got at the automotive shop and then I used gel stripper. I got a lot off but wow..it is a horrible job.

The glider was sandblasted and then given a gray base coat. He was not cheap..$150 and after a couple years the rust is back in some places and I can see where he did a poor job when I turn it upside down. He was in a hurry..sigh. I am hoping that with the multiple coats of this great new Valspar paint that I have it under control. When I look back at the pics of it when I got it I should have just painted it myself. It only had the original cream on it...sigh...would have been way cheaper and done better than letting him at it. So my suggestion is to be sure the person you get is going to do a great job or else sand and strip as well as you can and then get a gallon of the Valspar oil base paint for metal. They only tint a gallon. Good Luck and let me know if I can help...uh...LOL..with advice :)

Here is a pic of the chairs when I was stripping it years ago...ugh..

this is how they looked when I bought them...a layer of black undercoating over all the old paint..uhg..

this is after sanding and stripping...

this is how they looked in 2009 when I finished..not bad and I used spray paint by Rustoleum...they faded over the 4 years so I am hopeful the Valspar will be better.

{{gwi:699484}}

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Wow! Great job and I love your color choice!

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info! If YOU (our energetic Trailrunner) say it is a "bear of a job" I will probably save this project for my retirement days! I don't seem to have half the energy you have:).

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha tuesday ! Post a pic and let's see what you have to work with. Are they metal ? I would love to see your chairs. A mask and a good sander ....post a pic ! c

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

Love them! They are so much fun! I really like your brick patio too.

Our cottage has purple trim, a bit more sedate, so I sprayed our patio table purple (not sedate) too. I also painted a couple of benches purple. Love purple in the garden!
    Diane