Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

X Post Bathroom Remodel Frustrations!!!

itltrot
9 years ago

My masterbath remodel just slapped me with another setback. I am beyond frustrated and a little heart broken.

The shower tile I've had picked out for 3 years while saving for this remodel is not available. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and checked the status after not hearing anything. December. That's when they "think" the next batch of tiles will be available.

I can't wait until December for this tile. The shower has been down for over 3 years and the room has been gutted to studs since October. It's finally has insulation, walls and ceiling after numerous setbacks.

I've looked and looked and can't find anything I love or even like as much as the tile that's not available.

Shower floor tile WAS Moss Hexagon from Tile Shop, walls 4x12 white tile, white vanities, walnut wood look tiles in main bath, multi colored matte glass tiles for accent, chrome fixtures and Titanuim granite.

I liked these tiles because they were ceramic and not porous. They weren't too light nor too dark. We have hard water so deposit buildup can be an issue.

I don't think we can properly care for marble (which is the only other tile I've found).

I love the hex shape because it was unexpected. We also planned on installing the wall tile in a herringbone pattern.

Here's a picture of the tile which looks better than the website picture. It's a nice blue/grey/green tile. This is the penny round version.

Anyone have any suggestions? *bangs her head on desk*

Comments (22)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

That's penny round tile, not hex, so if you search for penny round you may have more luck. Try Nemo Tile or Luxe tile, I think they have some penny round. So does Ann Sacks.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Do I understand you had chosen the hex version of the pictured tile? Is the penny round available? Why not use that? I think hex is very typical for a bathroom floor so if you were looking for "unexpected," penny round would fit the bill better anyway.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I realize that is the penny round. It was the only picture I had of either tile. I even mention it was the penny round version. I was purchasing the hex. Neither are available.

We are not fans of the penny rounds. Hence the hex. It may be typical for bathrooms but I've never seen a bathroom done in hex in the area I live in so hence the unexpected comment.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Have you looked on houzz? Pictures there often have some source information. Maybe you will see another hex tile you like?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz hexagonal search results[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Sorry I missed part of the explanation. These are all of Luxe Tiles hex, so you have to sort through but maybe they have a ceramic that would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luxe Tile

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Is this tile what we're trying to match for you? Moss Hex 3/4" from Fired Earth Ceramics?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Not sure these will interest you, but here are some options.

• sundance510
    9 years ago

Oooh, beverly, I love that green hex tile! Not much blue in it for OP, but I think it's very pretty. Perhaps there is something like that in more of a blue shade? I kind of like that penny round tile, too, but I have no idea what something like that looks like installed. Sorry, I'm no help... I just had to comment on that pretty green tile!

• voila
    9 years ago

This tile comes in many colors. I have no idea of price, but believe it is custom made for you so it is not in stock. I have never done business with the Complete Tile Collection. Located in Manhattan, maybe some else has dealt with them. The tile is 3/8" thick and matte finish which is wonderful for floor tile. They claim is it a lower price line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermeer

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

I feel for you- that's beautiful tile. Ann Sacks has a penny round in a close color palette. The hex from this series doesn't seem to come in this color though, but I find their web site hard to navigate so I may have just missed it. Maybe you could call and ask? It's ceramic tile from the savoy collection.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Beverly that's the tile! It's greenish online but a little more blue in person.

Sorry if my comments early came off snippy, frustrated brain was well frustrated. I appreciate the help. The hex has a special connection for DH and I so I really wanted that. The penny's would work but not what made me happiest.

• voila
    9 years ago

Limestone hexagon tile which might look nice with your fabric. Same store, but this is in stock. You should also know that marble mosaic floor is easy to install and live with. I have installed both ceramic thin Dal tile from Lowes in a basement bathroom and marble basket weave from Home Depot in a condo bath. The thin Dal tile gave me more trouble than the thicker marble, though the marble was more expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limestone hexagon

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

>> The shower tile I've had picked out for 3 years while saving for this remodel
    >> is not available. ... I've looked and looked and can't find anything I love or even
    >> like as much as the tile that's not available.

I feel exactly the same way about Belgian Chocolate while in the Vegas M&M store.

One of my half dozen big regrets on remodeling this house is that we didn't order enough of one particular porcelain tile to do the whole house eventually. We figured it sold so well that it would always be a hot item available instantly. Hah!

The tile industry apparently does not think like the rest of humanity. Now I never even plan to look at tile if I'm not ready to buy.

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

:( I have that fear about my finishes, so I am starting to order things even though I am not ready for them yet.

What about this hex tile? It looks similar.

http://www.waterworks.com/products/surfaces/stone/mosaic/parramore-3cm-hexagon-mosaic-in-paperwhite-polished/2191?sku=03-46010-71559

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like Rebecca's tile from WATERWORKS best. Even better than the original selection.

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

This brown tile might be worth researching. It obviously is not the right color, but it is a glazed ceramic.

Pratt and Larson, with a Craftsman Glaze.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/109141990942688133/

Here are two other companies that do handmade glazed ceramic hex tiles, and you can customize the colors.

http://www.fireclaytile.com/

http://www.clayhausceramics.com/

This post was edited by rebecca3142 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 23:00

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lots of good info. I'll check them out tomorrow while the cabinet guys are here! Hopefully I can find something.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I started planning the sequence for three bath remodels when I bought my house and in two years, three bathtubs,two toilets, a shower receptor, two entire fixture colors and the option of one color on some of the fixtures I was planning on using were all discontinued. (Toto, Kohler, and American Standard). A key tile trim piece was discontinued between the time I picked the tile and the order was placed a few weeks later. One of the toilets was discontinued quickly like that too...some of these things were still in the current offerings on the website.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rebecca's suggestion is gorgeous but I think it's marble? Ming Green is what the website says.

Is marble really as much as a maintenance nightmare as I read?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Marble is not a nightmare so long as it is not near food. Using it on the floor and walls of the shower is a natural.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've just read so many negatives that I'm hesitant. I'm off to do some more research.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Just a word about penny tile: grout! There is a lot more exposed grout when using it, which means more cleaning, particularly in humid parts of the country.

I spent 3 days cleaning my mom's before putting her house on the market.
    Diane