Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Tile entryway

kam76
9 years ago

We are building a new house and 1/2 way through the framing process I decided I wanted wood stairs not carpeted stairs. The framers assured me there wouldn't be any issues but now our stair guy was out to measure for the treads this morning and we are going to be 1/2-3/4 " too tall unless we increase our flooring height. we were havinging LVT installed on the whole first floor which is very flat and doesn't have any underlayment.

We priced out getting a sub floor installed on the whole first floor as well as changing out to hardwoods (which we really don't want to do- big dogs kids etc) and have decided the most economical choice is to go with tile in the entryway.

I am so lost because this has never been on my radar and I don't even know where do begin. I don't really care for tile underfoot all that much- it will be fine for the entry I suppose.

You guys always have such great ideas. The house is traditional, I have lots of antiques and am trying to add a "old house" feel to this new build.

I think I want to go with something natural looking but low maintenance so I was thinking a slate looking porcelain? Any glaring trends I should avoid? What do you think of those "carpet" looking designs out where you have the different size tiles that make it look like a rug? Or diagonal tile installation? The entry is 8 x 10 feet. I saw this and thought it looked interesting, what do you guys think with the mosaic in the grout lines? I don't really care for this color of tile but the design.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Mosaic tile grout lines would not be a 'traditional' tile concept for a traditional home.

I don't think I would do real slate, but I'd certainly consider a creative grey porcelain tile in either a herringbone pattern or a staggered pattern.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I think the best advice I have seen for entry way tile is to pick up some of the dirt outside your house and match the grout to that. :-)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Will the lvt not be lower than the tile then? wouldn't that be a trip hazard where they meet?

• awm03
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, what is lvt?

How about a wood look porcelain tile

Brick would be pretty too

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't understand...if the stairs are not made, can't they adjust the stair height? I know they spent a lot of time working on our stair height and the nose piece at the top of the stair so it lined up flat. Of course we went with the LVT and I didn't change my mind in the middle. I did go with carpeted stairs, but the top step is not carpeted. Architect designed the stairs so the carpet would be recessed in the staircase...

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

awm03 sorry LVT is Luxury Vinyl Tile. A lot of supermarkets and big box stores are using it now. It is a very thin product but it is very durable and water proof/scratch proof. We have hardwoods in this house and the dogs and kids have destroyed them. We are going to be out on a muddy 5 acres and figured the more indestructible the better. The way they cut the framing for the treads we are at the top of the "allowable" height when you start at the bottom step. My husband spent hours trying to figure out how we could do it- in our county the rules are extremely strict and you have very little room for adjustment. Anyway, our best option is to do the tile floor in the entry which will raise it up that needed 3/4" of an inch.

They sell transition pieces that are angled to go between the varying floor heights. At least that is what the floor guy is telling me.

I do like the large format tile maybe in herring bone pattern. I wonder how much more a pattern like that would be vs a running bond? This is an unexpected expense so while I do want it to look great, I am not working with a huge budget.

Does anyone have any experience with DalTile's Continental Slate, color body porcelain?

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to update everyone. We went with 6"x24" porcelain slate tile from united tile. I think it looks really nice. Sorry the picture is sideways. Excited to get the stairs done.

• Fori
    9 years ago

That is really nice! I like how it presents a more formal entry without being stuffy.

• selcier
    9 years ago

Looks fantastic! Not a traditional element - but so interesting. It add a lot to the entry I think.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

That's a fantastic looking porcelain slate look tile. I would have never known the difference between the real thing.