Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

When upper cabs don't go to the ceiling

Bunny
9 years ago

My upper cabs don't go to the ceiling. When my kitchen got its facelift, I kept the old boxes and added new doors and crown.

It doesn't get as dirty/greasy/dusty on top of the cabs as many think. But, to help keep things easy to clean, I run paper towels over the tops (just the right width) and a couple of times a year take out the old and replace with new.

I also have a cat that likes to hang out on top of the uppers. I think you can see where this is going.

Today I heard some soft paper rustling and discovered Bessie burrowing under the paper towels. I'm afraid this has now become a thing of hers.

Comments (39)

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

Very cute! I also put paper towels on top of my cabinets and replace a couple times a year...and they do need replacing! Much easier a task than cleaning and dusting up there!

• sas95
    9 years ago

That is too cute, Linelle! I am surprised that ours haven't found their way up to the top of our cabs. I don't think ours would bother unless I stored treats on top.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a hop to the counter, to the top of the fridge (not counter depth) and then up and over the crown. This is my female who makes the trip multiple times a day. Her twin brother won't go any further than the fridge. I think he doesn't like the leap of faith it takes to clear the angle of the crown.

This photo shoot sent the wrong message: "Oh, she thinks I'm being cute." Much purring ensued.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:35

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

So sweet!

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jstell, plus our kitchens match our cats.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Linelle,my daughter found Tigger in a pet store and brought him home because he matched my whole house. I love copper and have some in almost every room. Well, every room now that I have Tigger......

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my Linelle, your sweet kitty made me miss my Tommy even more. One of these days when I go into Petco I will rescue a kitty. Until then I love looking at the pretties that others post.

Jstell, Tigger is adorable! Who could resist that kind of help? Linelle is right on target. Your kitties do match your kitchens.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of my sweet Tommy checking to make sure my sink was installed properly. We lost him right before Christmas from kidney failure.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:37

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

So cute!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh Jstell, what a sweetheart. Hummer and Tommy look so much alike. I have always had a cat or cats in my life but there was something so special about my sweet Tommy. He was about 10 months old when someone dumped him and he found his way into our garage. We adopted him, had him neutered and we had a wonderful bit over a year with him. There were many vet visits with chronic cystitis and he was going to have surgery to shorten his urethra. We think his owners dumped him because of his health issues. He had a wonderful life while he was with us but died way too young. I will always miss my sweet boy!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

The kitties are the best part of GW.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aww holly, Tommy was an adorable boy. Brown tabbies are the best. I once read that if cats just bred without breeders controlling the outcome, eventually they'd all turn into brown tabbies. I had a brown tabby called Jack and we called him "Mr. Everycat."

Patricia, the kitties ARE the best part of GW. :)

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Tigger fits his name so well. How cute. ;)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I agree that cats are the best part of GW!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Linelle-i think Bessie needs her own webpage. Her expressions are priceless. I have a collection of her pictures to share with my daughter. This is her cat, Tony, my 4 am diaper changing assistant.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy, is that your little one? Tony must be such a good companion at 4 am, supervising the diaper changing. Cats are such a trip.

Bessie and her brother Zephyr are all over Facebook. The latest is our selfie:

• peegee
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - LOVE that video!! Linelle - can't stop smiling looking at that pic of your adorable Bessie!

• Danahills
    9 years ago

deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:38

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jstell, Tigger and Hummer look so cute together. I used to be a dog person and claimed I didn't like cats. I can't believe I was that person. I had a cat conversion in my late 20s and I found my true calling.

• sas95
    9 years ago

Cat person here, too. Here are my boys, Cameron and Trent.

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

Great balance!! She only did this onceâ¦..

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Such cute kitties! Love watching them. We have had cats in the past, but due to so many family members allergies no longer do. Our dog gives us plenty of entertainment.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Keep up with the kitty pictures. I have lost my 18-year-old blue Persian recently and I am not getting another but I so enjoy seeing yours. This is the first time in my life I recall being without a kitty but there comes a time when you feel you cannot tolerate the loss of another or your health is such that you would pass and the cat would be tossed or mistreated if you are no longer there to care for it.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That selfie of Bessie is awesome!

Alasâ¦dog person here. But I can't get over that cat in that video!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have always been a cat person, but I am a dog person also. My Yorkie KoKo, and my Havanese Murphy come to the shop with me every day.

Our Tommy and Murphy got to be best buds, Murph thought he was a cat and Tommy thought he was a dog so they played well together. KoKo was the tattletale sister, barking at all their antics.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have lost many beloved cats and dogs. It's a gut-wrenching experience. I miss them still and often see them out of the corner of my eye. But, death is a part of life, and we know that our pets have a shorter time with us. I have to accept that as part of the deal. Despite the awfulness of saying goodbye, it doesn't diminish the years of joy and companionship they've brought into my life.

When my husband died in 2004, my three cats made a huge difference in feeling I wasn't totally alone. There's always bright eyes and a meow when I walk in the door. Best of all? Someone to talk to. I am getting more proficient in translating Cat into English. :)

Of course I worry what will happen to my cats when I go, but I trust my cat-loving family and friends will take care of Bessie and Zephyr and any other cat between now and then.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

We need a dedicated cat thread on the other side. And to be fair, probably a dog one too!

And yep -- my cats get up there on top of the cabinets. Maybe taping the paper up there with painters tape would help.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Linelle, my jaw dropped when I saw you posting that sometimes you get a glimpse of them from the corner of your eye. That has happened to me each and every time I lose a beloved pet. I just caught a glimpse of Tommy the other day.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay and Linelle, I do the same thing out of the corner of my eye. My vet told me not to worry; this is a good thing. I also hear him in his quietness sneaking up beside me to sit on the piano bench that I keep by the computer, reserved for him at the end of the day. It seems to dissipate for a while but it will return and I am happy when it does. I don't want to forget the gentle sweet baby that patted my cheeks each morning to awaken me or purred me to what he thought was sleep and then went on his merry way seeing things that I never could, chasing things that were not there and enjoying the aloneness of the house in the darkness of night.

• katlan
    9 years ago

My "granddaughters" lol They are my daughter's cats. They are sisters from the same litter, she got them when they were 4 weeks old. The gray one is Luna, the other one is Storme.

We didn't have cats growing up, always had a dog. Always had a dog when my kids were growing up. But I must say, I love Luna and Stormey. They kill me if I'm around too long, I'm horribly allergic to cats. But I still snuggle them and they sleep right on your chest!

• katlan
    9 years ago

Here they are all grown up.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Violet.West, which "other side" are you talking about? I'm afraid cats eventually creep into whatever discussions I'm having. :)

The cat I see out of the corner of my eye is Luther, a huge gray and white Norwegian Forest Cat. Luther was one of a kind, a gentle giant who followed me around like a dog. He's been gone nearly 8 years, but he's still around, somewhere.

I truly believe whatever that Other Side is, all my loved ones, including the furry ones, await.

katlan, Stormey and Luna are adorable. It's such a blessing to have littermates.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I mean the "conversations" side -- the off topics. I get confused, because this side is the "discussions" side - not sure what the diff between discussions and conversations, but that's what it is.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Katlan, your grandkitties are adorable. I wanted a ragdoll kitty but there are so many unwanted ones, that I decided I am going to rescue. When I told DH that Petco offers a 2 for one he said no way to the idea of two. I think his wallet is just recovering from the thousands that we spent on our sweet Tommers trying to get him healthy. The blessing is that he was loved and didn't die as an abandoned kitty and in great pain.

Patty what a lovely sentiment you posted. Indeed they chase what we can never see.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

My apologies, I meant Patricia not Patty!

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:40