Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

I feel like I am actually going to vomit....

carsonheim
9 years ago

So I've had this particular wallpaper picked out for my dining room for several months. I love this wallpaper. So. MUCH! I coordinated my foyer and living room around being complementary with this wallpaper.

It. Is. No. Longer. Available. ANYWHERE. It's been discontinued -- actually, right around the time I chose it. I've called the manufacturer to see if they can help. They searched their recent sales to retailers to see if they can help me. There. Is. None. Left. On. This. Planet.

I feel physically ill. Seriously, I might hurl.

So it's back to the drawing board to see what I can find.

Here it is, btw. RIP beautiful wallpaper :(

Comments (39)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

It is very nice, beautiful color.
    Do you think it might be worth contacting some of the discount sellers on Ebay, with perhaps a small cash reward if they find enough for your needs?
    I'm so sorry this happened to you.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

That is so frustrating! I learned my lesson about getting my heart set on one element when the fabric I chose to reupholster my sofas, the anchor to the room's decor, was no longer available when I wanted to order it, a mere two months after I first chose it. Now, I buy immediately or prepare myself to have to start over if I have to delay for some reason.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I am so sorry. We started picking things out a year ago and I fear this same thing. I would go to a competent interior designer and have them find something similar in feel and tone. You would be surprised what they can do.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry. It truly is beautiful wallpaper. I just checked and Ebay had 144,090 results coming up. I have no idea how to look for that particular one, but it's worth a try to find out. Good luck!
    Lynn

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

Well that sucks!! I'm so sorry! I hope that you find something that you fall in love with even more!

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

That is awful. Here in Canada we get product a little after the US and of course our market is smaller so maybe there might be a few rolls left on this side of the border. Perhaps ask the manufacturer if they have a Canadian distributor. Maybe you might get lucky this side of the border. If they won't ship directly to you in the US, I could ship it to you.

Good luck. Maybe you will find something you like even better?

Carol

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, even an image search did not produce the desired result. There are 4 matches but they are from the Ukraine and Russia so not useful.

If you search eBay for floral wallpaper there are only 4407 results! You might get lucky!

Here is a link that might be useful: image search for your wallpaper

• blfenton
    9 years ago

The wallpaper probably has a name. If you can let us know, the internet hunt wizards can go to work.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Don't vomit over wallpaper. Just as there are plenty of fish in the sea, so is there an amazing variety of wallpaper!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Alternate?

GP& J Baker Wallpaper - $$$

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

A trite saying, but maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Lot going on with those big white poms of flowers

Chandelier only 27" in diameter?

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

Yes, I know how you feel. Am looking tirelessly for curtains to coordinate my home. FINALLY thought I found "the one". No where available. UGH...so frustrating. LIke you, back to the drawing board.

I really hope you find it somehow or something similar. Maybe even something you like better. Best of luck.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

aww, I really am sorry

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

There is some place where you can get custom wallpaper. DH remembers seeing it on a TV show.

• laurensmom21
    9 years ago

try spoonflower - a lot of designers produce dupes of popular wallpaper. Maybe you can contact one and see if they could do a custom job for you? good luck!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I am really sorry you did not get our wallpaper, but I hope we are not taking decorating too seriously. Of course, it is a real pleasure to get what we want, to find that one piece we feel is the ideal, but it is my hope that you get something you like just as well or better.

Recently it seems to me that we may be taking decorating too seriously, to the point of melt down, vomiting, migraines.

Decorating should be a fun and offer a challenge, but not a life game.

Please remember there is always more where that came from and probably something you will like better. If it was meant to be, it will be. If not, it will not be.

• User
    9 years ago

The wallpaper is beautiful--- but wouldn't you expect floral designs that are more stylized than representational when paired with Craftsman paneling? Is the exterior in the same period?

Editing to say I realize now the craftsman paneling was in Beverly's post, not your original post---yours had a different kind of routed paneling, sorry!

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, May 3, 14 at 6:11

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

All of these floral wallpapers are from Seabrook. Modestly priced. Not exactly your paper, but maybe there's something that will interest you.

Maybe the first and second ones might work for the room.

• carp123
    9 years ago

Zoffany wallpaper is so gorgeous. i would def check it out. http://www.zoffany.com

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So sorry. But pick yourself up, dust yourself off...it wasn't meant to be....because there is something even better lying in wait...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I love Wm Morris wallpapers...may be something there to your liking...

• voila
    9 years ago

Darn! Hate when that happens. So sorry it happened to you. Check Colefax wallpaper. Also do a search for Peony tree wallpaper. You will probably never find the same, but do look at above advice for discontinued wallpaper. There are knowledgeable people here. In the mean time look through the Gracie Silver hand painted wallpaper site attached. I say it that way since I have no idea what the price is. Sue is beautiful, though! It only printed the cover paper, guess you have to search the address.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I would like to see some of the furnishings. I agree that Williams Morris would really look nice with the paneling. There is no reason not to mix periods and styles, etc., but some of the William Morris papers are so darn nice! and would look superb with your paneling.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Lots of options, Carsonheim!

I have a serious crush on the Wm Morris lines. In our first home many years ago, DH and I spent hours scraping off wallpaper, and the memory has left him jaded. He won't even entertain the idea, unfortunately.

Go explore... I bet you find something you'll like even more than your original.

• voila
    9 years ago

This is Colefax and Fowler wallpaper. It comes in different color ways.

• voila
    9 years ago

Another Colefax and Fowler. Don't you have blue in your kitchen? I know it is not the look you had, the previous
    posting came in blue also.

This post was edited by voila on Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:08

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone! It's nice to know there's somewhere to come where other people "get it"!

patricia -- I hear ya on the taking it too seriously. I'm really not, but I did actually feel nauseated when I went to order and it was no longer available. I think the sick feeling is because I had based a number of other decisions around this paper, and now I need to rethink those decisions.

kswl - we won't have craftsman paneling. Our home design is traditional in style, so we'll do a traditional wainscot.

Yeah, it's not the end of the world. I'm an actor, so I do tend to be a bit on the dramatic side, LOL.

I've actually found a couple other papers that are quite lovely. I really REALLY like this one, however I'm wondering if I can even afford it:

It's from Thibaut -- are they super duper pricey? Since we are only doing about four feet of wall on top of the wainscot the price may not be as much of an issue. And we have a bunch of wall openings as well :)

Anyhow, thanks again for the virtual shoulder.

Here is a link that might be useful: check out more about this Thibaut collection here

• patricianat
    9 years ago

The one thing to remember about wallpaper is no matter how low or high the price what makes it cost more is the big drop/repeat range. Your paper has a big drop/repeat range and therefore, regardless of the price is going to require quite a bit of paper. In other words, there is a big waste of paper with big patterns. The smaller the pattern the less waste.

I never hired a paper hanger because I always hung my own paper and others. What I charged (and that was a long, long time ago) was the price of the paper twice. I bought the paper (say for $50 a roll and you had12 rolls my price was $1200; that was $600 for the paper and $600 for my services. If I messed up a roll, I replaced it at my own cost and labor.

Thibaut is an expensive paper but not the most expensive. It is one of the best, IMHO. You will need a good paper hanger and someone to measure for you who will give you enough paper but not overburden you with several rolls you will not need unless they will return it without a restock fee.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 0:56

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Carsonheim, I'm using a Thibaut wallpaper in my powder room. I ordered it from Mahone's online, and got it in record time after ordering. Their pricing is far better than I could have done locally. I love the weight and look of the Thibaut paper. From Mahone's I paid approx $57/roll for paper that retails at $77/roll. I needed 5 double rolls for my powder room with 10' ceilings.
    Check Pinterest and put in the search line Peony Wallpaper for a lot of results.
    Schumacher does this one in 3 color ways, 2 of which would work with what else I've seen in your house.

Mandarin Peony by Schumacher
    Again, I'd check Mahone's for pricing. They've been great to work with.

Love that mural paper someone posted above, but oy, I'd be afraid to find out pricing on that.

• momof3kids_pa
    9 years ago

similar? in came/coral color...

http://www.amazon.com/York-Wallcoverings-CG5603-Chrysanthemum-Wallpaper/dp/B005HTR016

Here is a link that might be useful: wallpaper

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

In addition to Mahone's for pricing, check Eades in NY. I bought my Thibaut DR wallpaper from them years ago and got an excellent price.

307 N Union Street
    Olean, NY 14760

Toll-Free: 1-877-229-9427
    Local: 716-373-0010
    Fax: 716-373-6496
    Hours: Mon. - Fri. : 9 - 5 EST
    Sat. : 10 - 2 EST

Quotes 24/7

Here is a link that might be useful: Eades Wallpaper and Fabric

• User
    9 years ago

Sorry Carson, I actually edited my post above because I was looking at Beverly's comment, the craftsman style wainscoting was on her post, not your original one.

There are a million wallpapers out there, but who has the time to wade through all the possible ones?? Thibaut wallpaper is good, on the middle to high end of price. We have a Thibaut chinoiserie wallopaper in our laundry room and I still love it after about five years.

• demifloyd
    9 years ago

Don't give up, my advice is to step back and realize there are other great choices and once you have selected one you'll forget the other one.

I say that because in my master bath I fell in love with a beautiful European wallpaper, because I tend to dream up what I want in my head, look for it and find it.

So, I asked for a pale blue background with large white flowers--much like yours, and looked everywhere myself.
    No luck.
    Then I asked a designer to find it for me.
    He did--the extremely expensive European wallpaper.

For a bathroom.

We figured the rolls and just did not want to spend that kind of money on a wallpaper, so I went back to looking. Couldn't find anything. My teenage daughter picked up one of the many books and flipped through and happened to look at the back page of one--one I missed, and the colorway was a pale blue background with white flowers.

Perfect. I still love that wallpaper almost nine years later.
    I can't quite remember the other because it was so similar,
    and it was more delicate--no coating on it. We sometimes tend to get tunnel vision when working so hard to find just the perfect materials and decor for our homes.

Most of my wallpapers are Thibault as they have a lot of designs that appeal to me, and I LOVE LOVE the one that Voila posted, from Colfax and Fowler, do the colors work for you in that one? It is stunning.

Good luck, you have lots of great help here and good resources, would love to see what you eventually select.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Sat, May 3, 14 at 9:45

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I really like Farrow and Ball's new line. I got some for our summer house. I also got some Quadrille. Both were pricey, but .... the quadrille is an unusually wide roll so that helps a bit. FnB I bought retail I think 225/roll.

My to the trade salesperson (I won't call them an ID because all I do is go to them to take my orders .... they don't select anything) quoted $280/roll for the Quadrille. Someone here recommended an online source that was quoting $103/roll! Wow! I hemmed and hawed because I felt it was kind of dirty pool vis a vis the salesperson, but then again she had given me terrible service (long story) and I had actually had to go direct to finally get the right sample (ID kept ordering the wrong thing, or fabric instead of paper ...)

When I contacted the online source, they said, oops, it is $171/roll not $103. When I ordered, they said, sorry it went up, it is $202/roll.

Arggh!

Do you want to find something very similar, or like the advice someone gave ChloenKitty, go in another direction so it wont always feel like a near miss?

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I'm posting a pick of my wallpaper to see if it's even close to yours in pattern.

Of course the colors are different, but maybe there are more in the colors you want?

I bought mine from Americanblinds.com.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Shumacher has very good papers and many are similar to a Thibaut designed paper. Less pricey, I might add.

York has some pretty wallpapers as does Carey Lind. I am sure there are many, many others out there now since the wallpaper crash and now the revival of same has brought about more suppliers with richer designs and prices.

Like DemiFloyd, I can find something else to be in love with although I did have Thibaut paper in a very large bedroom once. However, hanging my own paper and getting contractor price helped with the cost.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

LOL, "wallpaper crash". I was thinking of this the other day and wondering, what's next ... wonder if wall to wall will come back. I don't like it for all the reasons most of us don't, but in the quest to be different... i bet it will come back.

Carsonheim, One more thought -- Spoonflower. They can even do custom. I wasted most of a day trying to find a less expensive alternative to my Quadrille ikat! You can engulphed in it..., warning.

• suero
    9 years ago

Sanderson
    Porcelain Garden DCAVPO104

• seww
    9 years ago

I love Thibaut wallpaper! I say get what you love, you will never regret the enjoyment it gives you.
    Sue