Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

Surefit wing chair slipcover: Any thoughts?

SunnyCottage
11 years ago

Does anyone have any input on Surefit slipcovers, particularly for a wingback chair? I'm eyeballing this one to cover the (ugly) blue chair in my attic bedroom:

It's really cute, but do you think it would be difficult to position properly on the chair with all of those different patterns? Would it be easier to achieve a nicer look with something like this?

I've never used a Surefit slipcover, but at this point I think anything would be better than the knitted blanket covering the chair. (The cats think it's a fort ...)

Comments (6)

• lauriedeee
    11 years ago

The worst thing about ready made slipcovers is trying to get the arms to fit well. Otherwise every thing slips.
    If the arms on your chair are smaller buy some twin size quilt batting in High Loft and wrap it around the arms. You can glue it down with fabric glue.

If your arms are too wide, it's not going to look good at all.

I have a surefit for my wingback chair but I got the stretchy kind. It fits well and it hasn't slipped at all.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I agree, it really depends on the shape of your chair. Obviously, the ones in the catalog are installed by professional decorators, so they look great.

OTOH, we have the stretch suede on the recliner, and we are really happy with it. It has a high spandex count, so it fits great. It also stays in place really well.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I've purchased 3 (all for the same wing chair at different times): an ivory matelasse, a red twill, and a stretch brown that feels kind of velvety.

My wing chair has very large wings, not like the smaller Queen Anne wing chairs often seen on Craigslist.

I liked all 3 for looks, though the pictures for the white and red one looked like the above picture and they most certainly DID NOT go to the floor nor look as neat as the pictures. Sitting in them was another story since they needed a lot of fussing after to make them look neat.

Of all, I preferred the stretchy one. The overall look was neat, it fit the best, and it looked less sloppy after sitting in it.

I think Target(?) has some in their stores, so you might check to see if they have the wing chair style to try out. (I'm thinking they don't, but it can't hurt to look:))
    Dee

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info and the photo (which looks great! I should do that with DH's "Archie Bunker" recliner ;-)). My wing chair is on the smallish side, and I think size-wise one of the slipcovers I've posted above would work, but the t-cushion is more rounded in front than a true square lip (if that makes any sense), and I don't know how the cover would work on it. Even so, I'm thinking that a less-than-perfect fit would still look better than the blanket cover the chair currently wears. This chair is favored by a couple of the cats and doesn't get much "human seat time". Not sure if their pudgy little bodies would keep the slipcover permanently disheveled or not.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

I purchased two of the Sure Fit stretch ones for two high end (but old) wing chairs I had. They were in one of our 5 guest rooms, so got very little use. They looked OK, but not sure if I'd want them on a chair we sat in all the time. Every time you sat in it, it has to be tucked back in place. Sorry for this horrible picture, the colors are way off. Everything was a nice shade of a gray green, but in this picture all the colors look different.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Sure Fit stretch wing back chair covers

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pretty chairs, joyce! Thanks for sharing that pic. (Lovely room too!) I went ahead and ordered this one:

Mostly because I like the fabric and will find a way to make it work on the chair, even adding batting or foam if needed, as lauriedeee suggests.