Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonlime_gw

Need a basement transformation miracle

lemonlime
12 years ago

My sister has a full but completely unfinished basement. Fortunately it has heat and cooling, but due to lots of circumstances, she and her husband won't be able to finish it for a couple of years at least. In the meantime, about a quarter of it needs to become a usable, cozy guest area for our mom to stay while she helps care for my sister's baby.

Framing and drywalling is out of the question, so the space in the pictures is what I'm working with. I don't expect it to look perfect or finished, we'll have to stick with rustic charm here. I can use paint, fabric, light fixtures, rugs, furniture etc, but nothing much in the way of carpentry work. My budget is about $1000 and that doesn't include furniture.

Even the tiniest creative ideas you might have would be appreciated. We lost my father very unexpectedly barely a month ago, so we're all still coping with shock and sadness. I honestly have no interest in decorating anymore, my own home is becoming a sign of that, I don't even know where the "real" me is, but I'm determined to do this for my sister. She's caring for her new baby, so it's just me, and she lives two states away, so I have to finish it during a 4 or 5 day visit.

The rug and everything else you see here will be gone, so it'll be a clean slate. I guess I have vague ideas of Ikea curtain panels, or paint drop cloths, on the wood-framed area by the staircase...besides that I'm kind of at a loss. Some color would be nice, but I've never worked with a basement before, so I don't know what direction to go in. I'm afraid pale or white would appear drab, but neutrals might be dreary too.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

So sorry for your loss. You and your sister are doing the right thing to look after your Mother.

Here are some quick thoughts to make the basement clean and suited for her.

First, make certain there is an escapement window and a CO detector - this would be building code requirements. If the location is damp, a dehumidifier would be wise.

Rent a paint sprayer. Paint the ceiling and ducting flat black to disguise the wiring, plumbing etc.

Paint the walls with concrete paint. It can be color tinted. I would use a long-knap roller to fill the voids.

You can buy "stick-on" accordian blinds for the windows. A spring clothes pin will hold them open.

Replace the light bulbs with track lighting.

Buy a carpet remnant for the floor.

If you are not going to wall off a room, privacy panels would work to create the space.

I am assuming that kitchen and bath space will be shared in the house.

I hope this helps.

• mclarke
    12 years ago

If you have a source for inexpensive fabric, that might go a long way to softening the space. You can hang fabric to create "walls" to make a room area, which will also create some privacy, and soften the harsh sound of concrete.

Check your local Craigslist for rugs and furniture. Lots of bargains there!

Try to use table lamps rather than overhead lights, which can be harsh. Use incandescent lighting, not fluorescent.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Partition off the area with room dividing fabric panels, or build "Stage flats" to make the partitions (fabric covered wood frames)

For a panel, a pipe top and bottom of the panel in a cafe curtain-type sleeve will weight it and give you a way to hang it - look at "conduit hangars" in a home improvement electrical aisle.

Clearly separate the storage area from her bed-sitting area.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Lemonlime, I think you are on the right track. I would go for a light colored rug (cream or beige), matching paint on the walls, and the Ikea drapes or fabric on the stairwell wall. Leave the ceiling as-is - doing anything up there will be complicated and time consuming. Focus on the furniture. Make sure the mattress is comfortable, and give her nice, pretty sheets. Make sure the lighting is good.

Remember that she won't be spending a lot of time down there. She will be upstairs all day.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Totally agree with spray painting the ceiling stuff black. If you have room in the budget, put a single sheet of sheetrock on the ceiling, paint it a bright color, and install your light fixture there. And over the bed, swag some fabric across the ceiling joists so she has something pretty to look at when she is in bed.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

Paint the ceiling black to recede the utility elements and use some soft color paint on the walls then I'd do some major fabric draping (inexpensive sheets might be your best friend) on one of the walls and ceiling. You could tack the fabric onto the floor joists/ceiling with inexpensive furring strips. You could make it really cozy and private. Here are some ideas:

the link below shows an inexpensive cable system to hang fabric to make divider walls. I'm not wild about the fabrics, but you could do something really pretty without spending a lot of $$.

Here is a link that might be useful: cable system for fabric walls.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

And remember--unbleached muslin (available in wide widths at most fabric/quilting stores) is CHEAP. And attractive!

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Since you have little time, it might be easier to buy a room already made, such as an outdoor canvas gazebo. However, I think a gazebo roof would be too high to fit in the basement. Nonetheless, I would look to outdoor rooms for inspiration. The one below is a knockout. For safety, I would use a fire-resistant commercial grade fabric.

Other thoughts involving less work or less fabric: If you live near a big city with used office furniture stores, you might find a modular conference room for that price. A more likely option would be to partition the space using shoji screens, and a sliding shoji doors.

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Example of using shoji screens. This looks to be attached to floor, but there are free-standing ones as well. This particular source would cost more than $1,000, but there are other less expensive sources.

• sameboat
    12 years ago

If it were for me, I would have to insist on paneling or "something" to cover up the walls and ceiling. All I can think of is spiders on all that fabric, or the fabric absorbing a basement smell. Definitely use a dehumidifier.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I like the idea of making it a room with fabric, but agree regular fabrics would absorb that basement smell. They make all kinds of drop cloths and they are so cheap. DH has one that is more of a soft tan/off white than a white/white. You could use black metal binder clips (linked below) to hold them to the steel beam (clips on the unfinished side of her room). The large ones would work well.

I do like the first picture above, with the swooping canoopy. Would easily give her a more cozy feeling and the fabric going behind would give her a headboard. Target, World Market, Pier 1 all have inexpensive side tables/night stands. Give her a chair to sit in to read, put shoes on or throw clothes when in a hurry.

Speaking of clothes, is she going to keep hanging clothes there? If so, a sturdy metal floor clothes hanger and a small dresser with drawers would be nice.

fwiw, Hancocks, JoAnns, etc all have laminated fabrics that aren't the glossy picnic tablecloth looking fabrics. Something like that might work well if you found one you liked.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal binder clips

• ellendi
    12 years ago

My thoughts are with you at a time that should be a totally happy occasion for all of you. Trying to create a space for your mother is a lovely thought. I am not sure I am happy with her sleeping in this unfinished basement. Since it is not in your budget to make this a true livable space, may I suggest other alternatives? All she really needs is a bed somewhere. I like the idea of a screen that gwbr54 mentioned. Would it be possible to block off a part of your living room and put a single bed behind it? Would it make sense to invest in a convertible couch that can always come in handy. With a newborn, everyone understands that the last thing you have to worry about is how perfect your house looks.
    Congratulations on your new baby. And I am sure I speak for everyone here that are thoughts are with you on your loss.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Sorry; rereading the post I see that drywall is out.

Painting concrete walls usually involves Drylok or a similar product first. Just an FYI given the time limit. If you do paint, I think a soft yellow would be nice; maybe Martha Stewart Creamy Buttermilk or Ace Royal Hint of Gold.

Building fabric screens is a fairly simple DIY project.

http://craftideasweekly.com/how-to/make-folding-screen-room-divider

And if furniture takes up all the budget, there's always the sheets over clothesline option.

I agree with others that your mother will likely spend most of her time upstairs. Downstairs she'll just need somewhere for her clothes, a chair for putting on and taking off shoes or laying out clothes, a side table and a comfy bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY fabric screen

• suero
    12 years ago

If that small window is the only egress, other than the stairs, I think you're doing your mother a disservice. I agree with jessicaml.

• dainaadele
    12 years ago

It you want to utilize fabric: sheeting is available at Walmart fairly cheap. The beauty of it is that it comes in very wide widths (110") If you bought a bolt of it, you could probably run it sideways around the area, and even get a soft puddle effect on the floor. The edges are already finished off, so the only portions to sew (of fuse tape) would be the beginning and end of the bolt. It comes in basic white, cream, pastel blue, etc.

My imagination on the wild side would be to put in Christmas/fairy lights in the ceiling, plug them into an extension cord that has a on/off switch (to be used as a light switch), and staple fabric up against the ceiling. The a table lamp or two in the room for regular task lighting.

On colors: I have used both a peach/pale orange color in a basement to a beautiful effect it seems to magnify what light there is in the room without being reflective or garish. I would keep to pinks/reds/orange/yellows as they can make the area feel warmer. Also don't be afraid of the deep colors in the reds, they can add cheer. I have seen rafters painted white and black. I much prefer the black. Somehow the white looks dingy unless it has lots and lots of lighting (natural or artificial) to make it dazzle.

• erinsean
    12 years ago

Years ago my SIL wanted a place for her kids to hang out in the basement. She stapled newspaper up on the ceiling, using only the black and white pages. She did the room in black and white...white walls, black painted furniture with red accessories. Really looked cute. In your case, I would hang drapes/curtains over the stair well, that match the window drapes/curtains. As far as the open walls, I would put a couple of tall bookcases/storage units there..(back to the room). You can always use these peices for storage later. The walls do not need to be solid to make a nice temporary bedroom. As other posters said, she will not be spending a lot of time down there, but nice of you to try to make a "get away place" for her.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all of your thoughts and ideas.

Checking for the CO detector is a great idea. I would be surprised if they didn't have one already, but I'll make sure.

This is a quarter of the basement, the opposite end has two very large windows and window wells for egress. Water or moisture has never been an issue, knock on wood. They are absolutely not DIYers, so any improvements require saving up, hence the temporary solution. Fortunately the upstairs is lovely and beautifully remodeled. Sis would be mortified if she knew I posted these pictures!

Without going into all the family dynamics involved, I just want to reassure everyone this isn't my mom's new home! It's only for her extended visit, and there are other much nicer options for her to live *near* my sister, but she insists on being in the same home as her new grand-daughter, and has asked us to spruce up the basement. My mom has an amazing home that my dad designed and built for her, but it's two states away, and they also have a small getaway condo, so please don't get the idea we're relegating my mom to my sister's basement forever. I'm just trying to honor her request and somehow make it pleasant.

That said...some terrific ideas here. Shoji screen? gosh, I would've never thought of that. The twinkle / fairy lights sound appealing. Definitely will use lots of lamps, as I do this in my own home. (I have an aversion to overhead lighting anywhere but the kitchen.) I would like to paint the ceiling but I'm afraid of the time crunch, even with a sprayer.

In my mind, I wish the bed could look something like this:

or this (just the linen part, not the mural or weird antler wardrobe)

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

The boards in the first pic reminded me a bit of pallets that freight comes on (I work in a hardware store). You could probably get free wooden pallets from stores; they're rough and would definitely need sanded, but if you're going for rustic elegance, they might be worth looking into.

Another possible resource if you want temporary walls is theater set design. Think of all the scenery panels that get built for plays that have to be quickly assembled and easily moved.

I actually kind of like the mural thing in the last picture you posted. The curtains and pendant lend it a gypsy hideaway feel, and the mural gives an illusion of an outside window. I doubt my mom (in her early 60s) would want a bed that low, though. Seems like you already have great ideas of your own! Follow that train of thought and I'm sure you can come up with a perfectly acceptable guest bedroom for your mother.

Here is a link that might be useful: Theater Flats

• Olychick
    12 years ago

looking at your wooden wall pic reminded me of rolled bamboo or reed fencing. That might look terrific tacked against the wall, or even as a divider. I was thinking horizontal, not using it like a fence, then I found this website that has bamboo matting in large rolls...might be costly and too slow to have it delivered, but if there is a source near your sis; most large nurseries have the bamboo fencing

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo ideas

• Jeane Gallo
    12 years ago

I like the idea of using bookcases or shelving units with doors to make walls. Do you remember Christopher Lowell? He used to do stuff like that all the time. We used metal piping to hang curtains up on our screened porch. My hubby used plumbing parts to turn the corners. It worked out very well.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Yes -- another vote here for buying some put-together bookcases to act as a divider for the "guest room" On the unfinished backs of these bookcases -- simply staple bright fabric that would work with the colors in the bedding.

Also handy for mom to stash her "stuff" Don't forget to add a rolling closet (usually used for coats at parties) -- VERY handy!

Also I do like the silver steel shelving that is already down in the basement -- VERY handy! Add some plastic containers to stash stuff (don't forget to label them!)

My vote would be to use the basic white wall color -- and basic flat black for the ceiling. Get dashes of fast, easy color with bedding and fabric.

Add a large "piece" of neutral carpeting (check out the back rooms of carpet or flooring places) THEN add an area rug to the "bedroom" area.

Get silver items like lamps etc. to add a bit of sparkle around the space.

• whenicit
    12 years ago

I love your first picture above. Why not get (maybe white) wood paneling or 'stripe' inexpensive wood trim across the stair or wall under the window as the backdrop for the bed. Then get a large carpet remnant that is shaggy like and soft on the feet, use the bookcase idea to create the space and add a comfy recliner or chair/ottoman to allow for some reading/relaxing/coffee drinking space for her.

• whenicit
    12 years ago

Your mom sounds lovely. And practical. I'm glad she has a grand daughter to keep her mind occupied in her time of grief. I am sorry for your loss.

• krayers
    12 years ago

How great for you to help out. I'm really sorry about your loss & understand having been there recently myself.

My daughter recently made living quarters in her barn. In her bedrooms, we covered an open shelving wall made from rough wood with floor to ceiling fabric panels made from drop cloths. We hung them on metal pipes(I used grommets, but we could have put pockets in them as easily). They turned out great & were very inexpensive. I did learn to prewash the dropcloths & tear them to obtain a true straight edge before hemming. It is an easy fix to cover a large area quickly & looks really good too!

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

Black bookshelves in combination with painter's drop cloth for the walls might look nice, with some pops of color in the bedding, rug, and an occasional chair.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. I lost my father last year, so I know it will take time.

Blessings to you and your family.

• bleigh
    12 years ago

I would not do too much in the way of painting or building anything for this space. You have a limited amount of time to get the project done and stressing over building things and/or painting is going to be overwhelming. As someone suggested a large carpet remnant in a light color would be fine for the floor. You could even get a pretty throw rug to go near the bed or dressing area for interest. Relocate the items on the metal shelving unit and put some pretty baskets on it for your mom to use for her folded items. You can add an extra blanket and magazines in a couple of the baskets. Get a rack for her to hang her clothes on. I'm guessing you need to buy a bed too? If so, a twin bed will be fine for one person, but a full size would be even better as it could help take up some of the space. Behind the bed, I would hang an inexpensive quilt to fill in the headboard area. Not being a huge fan of fake plants, in this situation I think an artificial ficus tree in the corner would soften up the area. Keep one of the wooden chairs for her to use near her dressing area (maybe put a decorative pillow on it). You could hang some sheets or curtains from the ceiling beams to close in the space and give an extra feeling of privacy, but a couple of room screens would be easy and attractive too. I wouldn't worry about doing anything with the overhead lighting. Just put a couple of lamps on some bedside tables and that should be sufficient (at least one three way lamp would be good). You can get decorator tables with the table cloths inexpensively at Walmart. I would stick with light colors for the bedding and fabrics. Make the bed as luxurious as you can afford...that would make my mom so much happier than paint on the wall.

I hope you enjoy working on this space. I'm sure whatever you accomplish will be wonderful and your mom will enjoy it.

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

Just one thing to add to an already wealth of ideas: the creepist thing about basements is all the places for spiders to hide in the floor joists. I would be worried about a spider landing on me during the night! I would cover the ceiling, not spray it, with either cloth or paper (as was suggested). We have a large playhouse in the yard and the builder stapled muslin to the ceiling, overlapping each section for complete coverage. It looks quite nice.
    Diane

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I like the idea of stapling muslin to the ceiling. I would paint the walls a creamy soft yellow. When I was a kid we had an unfinished basement and we painted the walls yellow, it really helped a lot.

• arbpdl
    9 years ago

I know this thread is old but was hoping the original poster might share what they ended up doing and if they learned anything they might share from this experience. I too am getting ready to need to use a portion of my 100 year old stone basement as a bedroom with virtually no budget. Fortunately I do have a wall down the middle so there is already a "sense" of a room there. The ceiling, however, is disgusting with all kinds of pipes and ducts, ect. The walls have already been painted white, though they could use another coat to freshen them.

I love the fabric on the ceiling idea but somehow it seems like it would be quite expensive and maybe even a bit complicated. It's not a level ceiling with the duct work sticking down, pipes here and there, ect. Plus the "room" is about 12 X 20.