Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

Help me Find 2 Dining Chairs for the Heads of the Table!

ms222
11 years ago

Hey guys, looking for some help! I'm trying to make a modern/contemporary/transitional look in the house and I bought this dining table and chairs, but I need 2 chairs at the end of the tables that will give the table and chairs a more substantial look since the table doesn't overpower the space. I will have a chandelier over it and eventually a rug underneath. Ignore the chair rail and color scheme of the house, when I'm done the walls will most likely be a medium gray and trim will be white.

Table is 72" long and 31" high, the chairs are 18" wide and 34" high. I was told to look for a fabric chair that has or looks like it has arms. Pics below.

Comments (25)

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Someone advised me they would recommend this, but wouldn't the wood frame color and the look be too different? maybe im wrong?

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Have you checked out Calligaris? They have a variety of modern styles and their quality is good for the prices. I linked to one that might work, but wander through the site and see what you think.

I think the Nido would be a good fit because the skirting goes to the ground. That would really offset it from the side chairs by (1) making it look like a true host chair and (2) avoiding any dissonance from clashing legs/bases. At 85 cm high it's just about the same height as your side chairs, so there shouldn't be a scale problem.

The Nido I linked to is in a woven fabric, but there is also a stark white one covered in some space-age polymer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calligaris Nido

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Re the Nido . . . of course now that I look for it I don't see many sources in the US. One source in Manhattan, it appears, and it's almost $1,000 a chair. But modern/Scandinavian furniture stores carry the brand, so I would see if one near you could get one for you.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for your input, unfortunately I'm young and have not amassed enough money to spend $1,000 per chair. That is more than the dining table and 4 chairs I bought!

I see what you are saying and will continue to look for a similar design. I'd like any other suggestions/input as this is hard for me to envision? So you guys think its an issue to have a wood base legs with the chrome? I thought it might but wasn't sure. I'm a guy, and far from a designer :)

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

I think you need a bit of wood to warm things up a bit - everything so far is very cool. Also, the floor colour needs help to tie in with the table and future wall and trim colour. I think the legs on those chairs would do that.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Perhaps these ones?

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock -- dining chairs -- a pair!

• teacats
    11 years ago

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: overstock -- maybe this one?

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Daisy I agree that I do need something to warm it up. I personally like the gray microfiber chair I linked but wanted to know if others think it could work with the space.

Teacats I like the first link but the issue is that it will still keep the area cold and I need the height to be at least 34". Also I need something warmer than black I think a gray would look the best.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Grey leather chair ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Perhaps this one?

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

There's this chair at Cost Plus World Market. It might not be exactly what you want, but if you have a store newar you you could buy two and bring them home and see if you like the look. If not, they're easily returned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete Hayden chair

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Just a quick question-are the wall color, trim, and that dark brown textured panel staying the same? If so, I think you need to find a way to tie the table and chairs in with those. They seem to be at odds with one another right now and if you go with the gray chairs (which I like), I don't see that happening.

• seashellsandpearls
    11 years ago

I was just about to suggest the Hayden Chairs, in Concrete, at CPWM.

I think you should NOT use another parsons type chair and really like using different styles together. And arms, definitely with arms. I think you need to be careful with height...you don't want them close to the same height...you could do the same height or, better yet, taller for the Host arm chairs...OR short Host chairs with the tall parsons chairs. But, if they are close they will look off, I think.
    The Hayden chair just may be too close. I think the Porter arm chair, in leather, at West Elm
    would look fabulous! Has the warm wood legs you are thinking about.
    I bought my dining table, which is a white parsons style with high gloss legs and a matte white back painted glass top and then bought 2 chairs that are not part of a set.. and am still finalizing choices for the other 2 chairs I will need. Ironically, my 2 chairs are the ones you posted, in a pale, pale icy blue grey color and I do like the Hayden chairs in the Concrete..not sure if they are too similar. Still, they did turn my head!

My sectional in the open lounge area is gray and the walls are going to be BM Kendall Charcoal with BM Summer Plum as an accent and it will have metallic orange (or, as I like to call it, Marmalade) touches in accessories. My dining area is open to the galley kitchen, the lounge and the living room and from all of those area you can see the others, either in full or in part.!I've also toyed with the idea of using something with a metal base, a shiny metal. Was thinking of the brushed aluminum "ghost" style arm chair...just for the contrast.
    It's so funny to see such timidness with this...and most here are constantly dead set against anything "matchy matchy".

I really, really wish that stupid expression would go away.
    Sounds like something a teenager would say!

You should check out Houzz and other sites to see many, many examples of mixed dining chair styles and tables!

Sea

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cyn247 the answer is no. The trim will be white, the walls will probably be gray, and it will be smooth wall with no texture and no chair rail.

seashell and jaka, i like the chair personally but my girlfriend says its a no go, shes hard to please!

teacats, my girlfriend does like the gray leather chair you mentioned, yet the reviews say its more beige tanish (brown undertones), which my house will probably not feature much.

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

seashell, similar to the porter but much cheaper in a fabric would be the ikea chair i link below....but its only 31" high, i know you said smaller at the ends could be a good look, but i was thinking taller chairs at the end for a more substantial look

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea chair

• seashellsandpearls
    11 years ago

yes, but you already have a hurdle to overcome, in that, your parsons chairs are tall/tallish, no? I'm afraid you are going to get into some serious money if you want to use tall, taller and with more presence, than the parsons chairs?

As to the Ikea chairs.. yes.. they could work. And work well. They mimic the straight lines of the parsons style chairs and they have the warm wood tones on the legs for contrast to the chrome legs of your chairs. Because they do have arms they will still be ok as host chairs.

I have seen those Ikea chairs used very stylishly in a room (or two) by David Bromstead? on HGTV's Color Splash.
    No matter if you like or dislike his use of color, he does fabulous dining tables with mixed chairs ALL THE TIME! Check him out at hgtv's website..

Sea

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sea, you are right the Parson is about 4" taller than the table, i believe the table is 30" and the parsons are 34". I just always thought the chairs at the end of the tables were supposed to be taller, but the ikea option at that price would be very attractive.

My girlfriend is flipping out regarding mixing the wood legs with chrome, she thinks it doesnt work, but then again shes not a designer either lol.

I guess in terms of making the table look more substantial in the room, it should look more substantial when that chandelier is over it, and when I add a buffet table in the room. So I guess it really isnt an issue. I may check out those ikea chairs soon

• luckygal
    11 years ago

I would suggest searching for 2 chairs that are contemporary wingback chairs with floor-length tailored skirts. They could be upholstered to match the other chairs or a different color such as black, grey, or even any bright color you like. Another choice would be contemporary wicker/willow chairs stained or painted any color you choose.

My personal thought is that chairs with wood legs don't go with the chrome.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Phew. I was trying to reconcile the two looks. What you have planned sounds marvelous. I love the table and chairs and the chandelier. I also think the wood legs might not work. Luckygal's idea of tailored skirts on modern wing chairs could be amazing.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i personally would just get 2 more of the white side chairs for the heads of the table... i wouldn't want wood legs with the chrome chairs and the very similar, but quite different look of all of the chairs you're showing just wouldn't look the best imo.... with matching chairs, the chandy can be the major focal point and the white chairs will complement it beautifully.

then, the rug you get in the future can add the interest, color &/or texture you would like...

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I've always loved this style chair. Not necessarily with this fabric, but you get the idea.

I found these on eBay (chrome dining chair).

Here is a link that might be useful: pair chrome dining chairs

• loves2read
    11 years ago

I think with two neutral colors like white and grey you need pattern--not more solids--
    even if you have a pattern rug underneath the table you could/should still have material with different larger/smaller design on chairs--
    this is the wrong color since it is beige/orange--but the style of chair with grey/white/and another color for accent would be what I would suggest--
    since it is tailored to floor the leg material makes o difference
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/urban-townhome-breakfast-room-traditional-dining-room-charleston-phvw-vp~120682-Vale-traditional-dining-room-charleston

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Came across this one, take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

• ms222
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This forum is amazing and you guys are sooo helpful. I know everyone has their own opinion, and I havent found anything Im truly comfortable with yet so I was going to buy 2 more of the same ones I have, yet they only sell them in sets of 4!!

Then I ran across this, I know it doesnt have any arms...but I'm wondering if this would be an interesting addition. Check out the link below and give me some thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: CB2 Chair

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

Would two of these work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Black leather

• busybee3
    11 years ago

is another set of 4 way more than you want to spend?? if not, i'd get 4, put 2 at the ends and use the other 2 as extra seating when you have a larger group over.