Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

For brutuses ~ Kitchen and family room photos

nhb22
15 years ago

Here you go. :)

Fireplace at Christmas:

Shortly after moving in (mantle supports were suppose to overlap arch trim, with mantle sticking out a little. The way the carpenters fashioned the trim and mantle, makes the whole thing look too narrow.)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (94)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I cannot believe that this thread has resurfaced. I haven't seen it since before I left for Europe on the 5th of June! lol I'm sorry I didn't see it earlier. :)

Answers:

The Decatur Buff looks true to my monitor and yes, it is also in my kitchen. It has a gold tint. I didn't think the chip looked that gold to the other colors, but my past neighbor had the color in her home, so I knew what it looked like.

The dining room color is BM Wethersfield Moss.

Granite is New Venetian Gold.

The white trim is just plain white white in a semi gloss.

oneplustwo - The coffee table is so old. It belong to my parents. They bought the set (sofa end tables that are in the windows of my family room) when they were first married, over 55 years ago!

Thanks so much for all the kudos!

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

NHB, thanks for checking in and responding, we've been wondering about that green.

I almost had my courage up to use Decatur Buff in our bdrm but wonder (I'm chicken, what can I say) if it will be too much with ceilings that are only 8 ft. high. so again I'm thinking lighter...Pittsfield or Powell Buff.

In any case, your home is lovely, your decorating is warm and elegant. Welcome back and thank you again!! :)
    Susan

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Probably a wise choice. My bedroom is small, but the ceiling is really high.

• eagertopaint
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for responding..... Can't wait to get down to BM store and look at the green swatches and perhaps purchase a sample jar and see what it looks like in my home.
    Your home is warm and homey and your colors are mine. I just have a bit more blue in my colors than yours, basically mine is reds blues, and golds. When moving into my present home, I painted a lot of the walls Humble Gold by Sherwin Williams, and I am finding it too yellow for my taste. I like more of a beige with gold in it........Thanks for sharing, once again. Would love to see other work that you have done.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The green has a lot of blue in it!

• eagertopaint
    15 years ago

Are the entry ways, halls etc in your home painted the Decatur Buff? If not, what color did you paint them?
    Curious about your paintings. They are beautiful... So pleased that I found your lovely home to look at.... I found it by accident by just looking around and typing in pictures of paint colors on a google search.... Your carpets are very pretty as well... I visited a rug store in Gaffney, SC in the early spring and saw some nice things. Love, love decorating!! Thanks for all your information. It is greatly appreciated.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Google...yikes!

Yes, DB is the primary color in my home. We tones the paint down a bit when painting my sons upstairs room and the adjoining T.V. room. One of these days, I'll have to post pics of my sons before and after. I have been meaning to do that for some time.

PS - That rug store in Gaffney is probably the same company that I bought our rugs from. Rug & Home?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think I missed this thread on the first go-round. I recognize some of the rooms. I love your house!! and your old living room is wonderful too! I am glad this came up again!

• eagertopaint
    15 years ago

Rug and Home would be the one. Ever been to Curtains and Company in Lowell, NC, just outside of Charlotte. If ever in that area, stop in. Wonderful place!!! Love to stop by there on my road trips. Wished I lived closer to that place. Would frequent it often. Would love to see other photos of yours. Thanks for the info!! ON my way to paint store!!!!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope never been there. We bought our rugs from the Rug&Home in Asheville, NC.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Again Newhomebuilder, I just love all of your rooms in your home. I love your hardwood floors and your style of decorating I also adore your dog, Riley who is not only adorable but I can tell has such a cute fun personality by how he puts himself in every pic and makes sure he is part of the family.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder, you probably tire of hearing it, but your house is gorgeous, you have done such a good job (love the pic of your old house too.) Lynn2006 directed me to this thread from the flooring forum where I was trying to get help on deciding on wha species of hardwood to get (thank you, Lynn!) and I just have to know what yours is, it is such a beautiful warm toasty color. Can you tell me? Is it oak? pecan? Was it a prefinished and if so what brand/type/color? After seeing your MBR on another thread, I want to put the hardwood in mine too!

Thank you for sharing your home with us all, what an inspiration.

• nancy_east
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder,

I always love seeing Riley in your pictures! Too adorable! And of course, it's always a pleasure seeing your beautiful home in this forum.

Do you know where you purchased the "figurines" (not sure what they're supposed to be called!) behind your cooktop? I love them!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder, is Riley a Jack Russel Terrier? He reminds me of my friend's dog that he brought everywhere with him. He and his wife moved so I no longer see him at the post office in his red Volkswagen with that cute little dog in the back seat.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I was trying to get help on deciding on wha species of hardwood to get (thank you, Lynn!) and I just have to know what yours is, it is such a beautiful warm toasty color. Can you tell me? Is it oak? pecan? Was it a prefinished and if so what brand/type/color?

NHB, I'd be interested to know too. Thank you!

Susan

• loribee
    15 years ago

Absolutely delightful home! Love the picture in the DR, too...what character it adds. :)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Bumping this so maybe newhomebuilder will see it and read it. Someone may have to as her in a separate thread with her name in the subject for her to see this.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

NHB, i'm looking at this post for the first time, even though it started in June~how did I miss it?!?

You have an absolutely gorgeous, awesome, beautiful, magnificent home! And it's looks to be quite cozy to boot! You've done a fantastic job of decorating!! ;o)

• Conanc
    15 years ago

Another bump....hoping for info on the beautiful hardwoods....

• aupatrick
    15 years ago

I would also love to know some information on the floors....

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you once again. :) Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I have not been online much lately. Went on a cruise, then to visit my parents. This past week, I was busy getting ready for a dinner party, which was a disaster because of my "not so cute" little JRT, Riley.

I'll start with Riley and the dinner party, then answer some questions. Riley has allergies and has been on Prednisone that makes her hungry. Well, I had appetizers, (including a bowl of nuts) out on the porch table. When the doorbell rang, announcing more guest, we all got up from the porch and went inside. A few minutes later, my DH looked out and saw Riley standing on the table, and eating nuts out of the bowl. After that, she kept bothering all the guest by begging for food. She even begged while we were seated around the dining table. I was so embarrassed! We tried putting her in the study, but she just barked and whined. It was horrible! Luckily, everyone thought it was funny and they were all animal lovers. UGH!!!

OK, to the questions...

The floor is unfinished Red Oak #1 Common, finished with Minwax Puritan Pine. The foyer has a border and medallion of Brazilian Cherry with the same stain.

nancy_east - I bought the figurines through the Pottery Barn catalog about 6 years ago. They were on sale, so I couldn't resist. I actually saw them on HGTV the other night. The show that features changes made on homes that have not sold.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

That bad boy Riley!! too funny. I have been through that with previous dogs.
    I peeked thru the thread again and just wanted to say I had forgotten how beautiful your house is! So lovely.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

NHB, believe me when I tell you we have a 'cat' version of Riley. Where most cats disappear when company comes, ours is front and center and causing a commotion. If we try to lock him up he wails so loud he can be heard from the yard and beats against the door with such force that you'd think a lion was trying to escape...lol.

Thanks for the info on the floor, it's beautiful. I am assuming your floors don't darken with age since they're stained?

Thank you for responding and sharing your life with Riley! :)

Susan

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Thank you newhomebuilder for letting us know what your beautiful floors were. I guess it is the unique stain that makes the floors just beautiful and so warm and inviting. I must go back and look for pics of your foyer. I figured you were on vacation when we did not hear from you.

Your Riley is probably a good girl but the Prednisone makes her hungry like my Skeeter who has allergies so was also on the Prednisone and also would not leave guests alone. Most of my clients love my little dogs but there are a few that do not like pets and the begging upsets them. I am glad your guests loved Riley despite her appetite.

We all hope you had a great time on the cruise and visiting your parents. We all missed you. You have a beautiful home.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Whoa! I didn't read this thread until today because it was addressed to one person but when it got so large I figured there must be something more to it so I better take a peak. Absolutely gorgeous. And look at that cute little "Wishbone" curled up in his blankie on the wing chair!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you! :)

Just got back from the vet with Riley. In addition to her allergies, she has a urinary tract infection, and a low thyroid. Two new medicines to add to her schedule. Just cost another $124 this week (last week, the bill was over $250!)

lynn2006 - Yes, we had a great time on the cruise. We were in the middle of hurricane's Gustav, Hannah, and Ike. The Captain did a wonderful job of steering us clear and we had almost perfect weather. We were rained out on one day.

mpwdmom - The floors do darken with age. Most stained hardwood does. ;)

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

NHB, that is a concern I have about getting hardwood. That, and whether it's practical to use in the kitchen. Yours are absolutely stunning! :)

Susan

• dgo1223
    15 years ago

NHB, I can't add anything to what the others have said; it's beautiful.

Something caught my eye though, the long narrow picture that is above the doorway/entrance, right behind the Xmas tree in the photo; I love it, and could use similar in my foyer. Where would one find something like that? It's very unique.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The wood floors don't darken THAT much. Just use a stain color that you feel comfortable with/and will if they darken slightly.

I'll tell you something that darkens with age that I didn't know about and am not happy about...my cherry kitchen cabinets! Had I known they would darken, and in such a short time, I would have chosen a lighter stain for them.

I wanted white or cream colored cabinets for my new kitchen, but hubby wanted dark cherry. Since we had white in our previous home, I gave in. I am a BRIGHT person and prefer lighter "beachy" colors...a far cry from my current home. (See the living room photo from my past home-above) Anyway, while the kitchen looks nice, warm and inviting, it is just too dark for my taste. The cabinets have really darkened over the two years that we have been in the house.

Past kitchen
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

NHB, your old kitchen was gorgeous also...did your floors there have the same Puritan Pine stain? They look a bit different but that may be b/c your cabs are white. And thanks for responding w/ photos - I'm a visual person and it really helps to 'see' the rooms. :)

Susan

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder, I find your cherry cabinets gorgeous that darkened to a richer, deeper color. I also loved your former white kitchen.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL I always get tickled when this thread turns back up.

Susan - Sorry I didn't see your question before. The white kitchen had red oak floors that were naturally sealed using Dura Seal.

Thank you Lynn2006!

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I'm tickled someone found it! They're both really beautiful homes, many thanks for the info. :)

Susan

• estreya
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder, this room really does look "magazine ready." It's just magnificent.

The striped chair in the dining room - by chance, do you have fabric information on that?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

estreya - Thank you, and I am sorry, but I do not remember the name of the chair fabric. I can't even remember why I liked it. lol

The chairs belonged to my grandmother (as well as the dining room table) and were redone several years ago. The upholsterer did a terrible job. I hate the buttons (should have all been done with the ivory color,) and the chairs have cat scratches all over the sides. lol. One of these days, they will get another make-over.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Estreya - That striped fabric is still available although you many not find it on a bolt in fabric stores. However, you could look through their fabric sample books. I am a drapery designer and I carry that particular fabric through 2 different suppliers, so I'm sure you could find it if you look. It is called Ava by one of my suppliers and comes in lots of colorways.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Everything in your home is perfectly placed and color wise, it sings!!!! Could you tell me who did the art work? I particularly love the one in the dining room that echos your lamps in the living room. I love interior view paintings.

• jillie731
    15 years ago

HI ... another question about your floors. I can't decide on a stain...do your puritan pride red oak floors have a "red - orange" tinge to them? or is it just my monitor. Beautiful Home....I love every detail!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

More like a golden brown, IMO.

A close-up.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder, your home is so gorgeous! Are these walls BM Decatur Buff? The color is great.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, however that photo on my monitor looks a little light.

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

You're the one! Weeks ago, I called-out for someone, anyone, who had an angled island with caps on the ends and the middle section used as the overhang. I knew I'd seen someone on here post a picture of an island like that. I'm glad I ran across this thread!

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Love your home, Newhomebuilder! It really turned out fabulous.......Bonnie

• swvirginia
    15 years ago
  • jillie731
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response about the floors. I am going CRAZY trying decide what to stain my red oak floors. I "thought" I wanted special walnut but I did a test piece at home but it was way too dark. I am also looking for a medium brown, not too dark and not red at all. The close up picture really helps. I have a mix of oak and painted black furniture....do you think it would work well with that. Thanks so much for all your help!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

More like a golden brown, IMO.

Kind of a Jack Russel brown, I'd say. ;-)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hehehe

sdionnemoore - I'm so sorry that I didn't see your post. I have not been on much lately. Glad you found this.

Thank you bonniee.

jillie731 - I think the color would will look good with golden oak furniture. BTW - Minwax Golden Oak is a favorite stain color of mine, too. Also, I have dark wood stained furniture, so I guess that painted black would look good.

• jillie731
    15 years ago

thanks so much...I think I will be switching to puritan pine (not pride - hehe - typo in my previous post!)

Not sure if this has been answered but I love your dining room lighting - may ask who makes them?

I keep going back to this post to study every detail of your home....I love it!

Any other pictures to post??? I'm addicted!

• jillie731
    15 years ago

I found the dining room lighting answer in an older post! Never mind....

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz