Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

NOT my typical chair re-do, but no animals were harmed!

My3dogs ME zone 5A
10 years ago

I saw this 'Spanish chair' on CL last fall and was intrigued.I bought it from a nurse who isn't really into decor, and she had duct taped the floral fabric to the frame, and added little tassels at each seat corner. Pic from her CL ad -

I thought I'd try some faux cowhide and faux leather, both of which are very realistic. The chair is sitting next to my office chair, and every now and then I reach out to touch that faux cowhide, as it's so soft. The back is the same as the front, with the nail heads around the edges.

It's certainly not a 'Maine style' one, but fun to do something so different.

Doesn't this look like well worn leather?

Comments (30)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

You are planning to start a business, right? You really need to!!! You've got a great eye for interesting combinations in addition to the upholstery/painting skills. A+

• User
    10 years ago

Amazing ! mooooost realistic :) c

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

What the seller did to that chair was heinous, what you did is sublime.

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

excellent

• Irish2
    10 years ago

Love what you did with the chair! Always look forward to
    seeing your newest transformation.

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

That chair would sell like hotcakes in Texas! And have you noticed that the pattern on the "hide" on the back of the chair looks remarkably like a map of North and South America?

Inspired and charming!

• User
    10 years ago

Perfectly appropriate, as usual, 3dogs! And I agree that the top "hide" looks like the Americas :-)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Amazing, you need to start a business online.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all! Sable, I knew I'd be taking a chance using those fabrics in Maine, and thought Texas or NM would be the perfect places for it. That faux leather was $3,99 a yard on sale during the lats holiday sale at Barn fabrics, and I can't believe how realistic it is.

I had to look twice at the 'cowhide' to see the resemblance to the Americas! See how BIG Maine is up in the upper left? :-)

Terriks, when I saw that floral fabric taped to the chair, let's just say that it wasn't my image of the way it should probably look!

Hopefully this fun hobby will bring me a bit of money when I finally retire.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Very nice! Certainly compares more than favorably with the furniture at the King Ranch Saddle Shop!

Here is a link that might be useful: chair in the Saddle Shop

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Another prize winning job!!!

• flowermum
    10 years ago

Logged in to say....very inspiring my3dogs. Thank you. You are a very smart lady.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

SO much better than the original! You do have a good eye. I wouldn't have given the original chair a 2nd look but you have made it desirable. Great job!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, ladies, especially for the link to the one at the King Ranch Saddle Shop! I would never have known about that place, but there is a similar look.

I love fabric so much and creating things that ending up with something useful that people can actually use in their homes is a thrill. Hopefully my enjoyment of the 'work' shows in the end result. I am grateful to have you all weigh in on my choices, and there will be more to come!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Very neat...and I don't normally like that cowhide stuff, but for some reason, it works really well here.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Someday, you will get the hang of this reupholstery thing...

:)

ok, you know I'm kidding. Very jealous for many reasons...
    1. You find great things (at great prices)
    2. You know what to do with them
    3. You do it
    4. AND then you sell them!

Can you share with us how or where you learned to do this? I truly need a detailed tutorial!!!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

What brand is the faux cowhide? It looks quite real.

and that chair would sell in a flash here in NM, or over in AZ.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awww, Bee, I do have great luck, but my thriftiness and asking lots of questions and for more pics also makes me lose several things on CL. Never knowing if I CAN sell one makes me want to pay next to nothing!

1. You find great things (at great prices) Often
    2. You know what to do with them. I have always been artistic
    3. You do it. And that is the fun part - seeing something very different emerge
    4. AND then you sell them! I try to!

I am self taught. I started this a year ago this month, by reading online blogs and watching You Tube videos, and buying some of the correct tools, I started. Now, I have sewn since I was a child, so I have that in my favor. And since I enjoy it, it just makes me want to do and learn more. I had called upholstery the 'last frontier', as I had always wanted to try, but was afraid to. Those videos took away the mystery, and I tried it. Several others here have done it, too!

I saw these 3 stools last week on CL. I studied them, asked for another pic, sent a pic of a brass caster and asked if they were like that one, since I couldn't tell from the pic. I picked them up Monday night and paid the asking price of $20 for all 3. They are adorable, in great shape, painted oak, with those brass rosettes and casters, and have so many possibilities, for $6.66 each! A friend in WA state sent me this link below, and that is my inspiration for one of them. Now I know that mine aren't that style, but they'll look very different when I'm done.

As we were loading them, I saw an old label under one. When I got home, I examined it. It's TYPED on old 'oak tag' paper and they are from Milwaukee, WI, and the date on the tag is 1/24/61! They are a bit over 52 years old!

Here is a link that might be useful: K A Roos Gustavian stool

• mary_ruth
    10 years ago

AMAZING CHAIR you redid! That faux fur is wonderful and very very believable in the photo! I LOVE that chair!

I must check every sale for that faux leather!

Those stools are going to be something... when you get your hands on them! They already are so neat and well cared for! They have a neoclassic look (what they used to call a style way back when) and no matter what you do with them... they will be AWESOME!
    I think it is wonderful of you to share your projects with all of us.. You motivate me and inspire me! :)

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I see...

those three stools, all done in the same fabric, lined up next to each other in front of a sofa...voila, little coffee tables.

I saw this on CL today, seller wants $95, too rich for my thin blood. But I thought of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Religious Chair....(although can chairs be religious?)

• LeslieP
    10 years ago

I love looking at your before and after pics. You are really good at what you do, really good! Thank you for posting, I always enjoy seeing what you have done.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lazygardens, I think I was writing up my reply and didn't see your post earlier. I don't know the brand, but this is it, on sale now for $3.99 a yard at Barn Fabrics through 5/27. I got this email just today.

Well, GW will NOT let me add a link to it right now, but look for MS-1058 when you to the Barn site. -

'To all our web customers:
    Happy Memorial Day
    Now until Memorial Day all the following fabrics will be offered at $3.99 per yard.

*Upholstery (U),
    *Drapery (D only, not DM),
    *Microsuede (MS) and
    *Outdoor (O only, not ORT)
    on our website, www.barnfabriccenter.com, .

Please add 'Memorial Day Sale' to the Special Instructions/Comment Section at check out to receive the discount. Discounts will not be applied without this code.'

The back of this chair was done in their MS-1057, Palance Pueblo. This one is heavier than the one on the seat of the Spanish chair.

BEFORE -

Bee, I have seen 'religious chairs' here on my CL looking very similar. I recall one being called a 'church chair'. It's very nice, but I prefer ones that need more fabric! I wouldn't pay that for it, either.

I know the stools could be great done in the same fabric and finish but I want so badly to do them differently! I may do a pair the same, though. The current cushions lift off for them to BE little tables. They are great.

Mary Ruth, you sweet cheerleader! Thank you so much!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Now that chair would look perfect in my home, My3dogs! You are so incredibly talented . . .not only with your reupholstering, but with your vision and decorating, as well. Big congrats!

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

Just love the way you can see what fabrics/coverings will set the chairs off that you find! Perfect as always! Thanks so much for sharing your creations with us at GW!

• amykath
    10 years ago

WOW WOW WOW!!!!! Please send some of your amazing talent my way!!!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AK, I think you have enough talent of your own! Just like all of these ladies, some who have shown beautiful projects here, like gardening cooking, painting, decorating; this board is loaded with talent. I love seeing posts where others have shown their projects, such as your staging. Let's see more of things like that!

• Terri
    10 years ago

WOW! I just wandered over here from the Kitchen and Bath forum (we are doing a gut remodel ughh) and am I ever glad I did! You are amazing! I'm in NM and I want that chair!! :)

We picked up several chairs at an estate auction several months ago and there are a couple that something like this would be perfect for. And I'm in love with King Ranch stuff, just not KR prices. DH's new pickup is even King Ranch model. You've given me inspiration for those poor tired ole chairs. Thanks!!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terri, I'm so happy that you are inspired! I mentioned above where I got the faux leather for the seat, at Barn Fabrics, and I got the faux cowhide (VERY soft and so nice to work with at HouseFabric.com. I'll link it below.

When you go to HouseFabric, also do a search for 'Udder Madness', a newer cowhide print that comes in brown or black on white. It's GREAT!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cocoon Brown Coffee

• Terri
    10 years ago

Thank you for the fabric links! Going to buy some right now :)

• loribee
    10 years ago

Lynn- that chair would look grand in your home!!

Love the new stools also, My3...can't wait to see. Love that you share the fun with us!

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022