Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonlime_gw

Upper cabinets with only a countertop below

lemonlime
9 years ago

Would some of you clever folks know how to google or search Pinterest for a picture of said configuration? Technically it would be a butler's pantry in an odd niche that's across the hallway at the end of my U-shaped kitchen.

The reason that I want a countertop only below is twofold. I want a place with a countertop for people to gather that's out of the main traffic flow of the kitchen (need to keep four bar stools tucked under when not in use). Secondly, there's a baseboard heater that runs almost the entire 96" width of the niche, which is about 96" x 36". It can't be relocated and rules out base cabinetry, even though I don't want that.

Anyway, I want to make sure this doesn't look weird or top heavy before I get too carried away with my plans, but I cannot find a single picture that resembles what I want. Help!

Comments (11)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

something like this?

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

This is my coffee counter but hopefully will give you an idea of how it looks. I have two stools there that I use while I wait on the coffee or the toaster :) Also pull them over to the island since there isn't room to leave them out in the middle at the island full time. The surface on the coffee counter is salvaged Sylacuga AL marble and 2 leftover pieces of teak from my other counter top since the marble wasn't quite big enough. Teak is on ends. Let me know if you need more pics. c
    ( I have 11 ft ceilings and it is an 1890 home )

This post was edited by trailrunner on Fri, May 9, 14 at 19:39

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

How about a DIY project? A drop down type of counter would be ideal. A hollow core door would work as a shelf, and the doors come in various widths/lengths. A special hinge, but no big deal(link below). If you didn't want it to function as a drop down, a regular piano hinge would work also. It's just an idea I thought of using in a bedroom as nightstands since the room was small. I would have used a wood shelf instead of a door.

Here is a link that might be useful: hinge

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Think about how you will support a 96" long counter.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, thanks, yes, but at typical kitchen counter height. That's close enough to give me an idea.

Trailrunner, that's exactly it, thank you!! I love your space, it's so cozy, and what a fantastic use of your marble and teak! Oddly enough, the thought of relocating the coffeemaker and toaster oven has already crossed my mind :)

Thanks Patty-cakes, I think we would use it as permanent counter space, but I like that idea for my utility room! It would be great for some of my projects that need to be done near a utility sink, hmmm :)

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Glad to be able to help! It has been over 7 years and I still love my counter area. Please post back when you are finished. All of my uppers are salvaged Arts and Crafts windows...my carpenter made cab boxes to fit and my painter restored the window glaze and painted , I love salvage :) c

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Trail I love your room. It looks so inviting!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Trail, your room is so nice and inviting.

About Trailrunner's marble: For those who do not know about Sylacauga, Alabama, marble...it is the marble of the significant statuary and buildings in Washington, DC. It was purported to be the whitest marble in the world according to the Italian sculptor. The SCOTUS, the capitol rotunda and Lincoln sculpture are a few of the many significant projects this marble was used for.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Here's another view of uppers and bar.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Thank you Holly-kay and Patricia ! I appreciate the compliments. Yes Patricia is correct...very few know about this marble and it is local and more beautiful than many other marbles. I was able to go out to a field in a local area, Beauregard AL ,and pick out a piece from a pile by flashlight ! I always love the stories of others agonizing over slabs at a slab yard :) All I worried about is if DH and I would be able to lift it into and out of our pickup truck ! We did...it was $50...and the edge is the same as was on the building in Columbus GA where it was salvaged. The bldg . was taken apart and Reeves Salvage in Phenix City took all the marble...the marble was on the outside of the bldg and the edges "lip" over each other. Another person bought it from Reeves and took it home to his field behind his house and there it stayed for a couple years. I now wish I had bought enough to do my whole kitchen...sigh...I was so dumb ! If you get a chance to ever purchase salvage by all means do it! c

This post was edited by trailrunner on Sat, May 10, 14 at 20:25

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appreciate everyone's help. I would like to tackle this sometime this summer, so I'll update when that happens. My hubs doesn't share my enthusiasm for non-stop home improvements :)