Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdbrya2

Curb Appeal - Blank Slate

rdbrya2
9 years ago

Hello ladies, my wonderful sister told me about this site today and how helpful ya'll were. After browsing the forum this morning I was so excited to join myself and get some input on my new home that I have been stressing over how "Blah" it looks!

As you can see we have a clean slate. I definitely want to get some landscaping and also thought about hanging a swing to the left side. I feel like it needs something else so it doesn't look so plain jane. But I have always had a hard time decorating around the 3 french doors.

I value any input you ladies have :-)

Comments (11)

• chispa
    9 years ago

Truly a blank slate. I would drive around established neighborhoods and get an idea of the type of landscaping you like. Take photos of the beds, trees and plants you like. Do you have irrigation and drainage?

We hired a landscape person to source plants and then another company to plant and do the irrigation based on the plants chosen (sprinklers, drip, etc). It is an expensive project, so you might want to price it out and then decide if you can do it all at once or split it into phases over a few years.

• rdbrya2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep that is exactly what I was going to do! I have ridden around (for 2 years now since we built the house ha ha!) not being able to come to a decision on what plants/layout I wanted. So I decided to hire a landscaper as well. I do plan to get built in irrigation and you are right, def not a cheap project!! I think maybe once I get some landscacping put in, it will look a lot better and I won't feel so much like a plain drab front. Right now with being so plain, i keep getting tempted to do things like putting a bench and/or flowerpot on side the doors or some seating setup on the front porch...but in reality I'm not sure that would look good and it would look too busy.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What a beautiful and unique house. I think you've got a lot to work with.

I think I'd put a railing on the portico, something rustic to compliment the cool barn-door shutters on those windows (and obviously leaving the center open).

And trees, trees, trees...

• rdbrya2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!! For some reason I had always been against trees (my dad scorned me for life making me pick up sticks as a child lol...plus we have a pool and I love that we never have leaves to clean out of it since we don't have trees). But recently I have a newfound love for trees and I was thinking about planting 2 live oaks in the front and also having some trees in the landscape itself like a Japanese Maple and some Little Gem Magnolias.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I f you are happy with your landscaper then have him/her come up with several plans after you have discussed what you want overall....whether it's easy care, more shade, you love annuals, dislike annuals, etc. I think that's your jumping off point....what do you want to achieve and how much work do you want to put in weekly, monthly. They can also guide you as to railings and porch furnishings.

• User
    9 years ago

I hope Alison sees this post, she has a French country home with a very similar feel and it is absolutely beautiful, with just the right amount of detail and style. You can find a feature of her house online at atticmag. I'm sorry I don't have the link to the specific article but have provided a general link below. I really hope she looks in on this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alison's online Atticmag

This post was edited by kswl on Mon, May 19, 14 at 18:45

• alex9179
    9 years ago

If you're hiring someone, definitely wait to buy things. However don't wait to get ideas! You'll be doing them a favor by pointing them toward the style you'd prefer and then they'll be able to recommend what type of plants will do well in your area. They should be able to help with the front porch, as well as the yard.

I'd plant large trees at the perimeter, but far enough away from any power lines so they don't get butchered by the electric company. Then fill in using shrubs with pretty spring blooms. That large expanse between the house and the sidewalk would make for a beautiful garden area. It's calling out for a small/medium specimen tree surrounded by shrubs, grasses, and perennials. Maybe place a couple of benches for a conversation area.

• radley
    9 years ago

The house has a really interesting roofline so I wouldn't do anything to compete with that.

I think driving around and looking at what you like and what grows in your area is a great idea. Also, check the net for pictures of homes in your zone for some more ideas.

Suggestions:

- Either a fence or hedge around the back for privacy, or both.

- When facing the house like the picture - a big shade tree to the diagonal left of the house - at least 20 to 30 feet from the corner. Choose a tree noted for being disease/pest resistant. And plant a same tree in the back yard (but off to one corner or the other (again about 15 feet diagonally from a back corner) - depending on the pool situation. I don't know your zone but if it is southern - maybe magnolia? - or if more northern - maple (but not silver they foundation killers) - or oak as you said.
    - in the inside of your curving sidewalk would be a wonderful place for a garden. To me it is not so good to have 2 trees in the front as a mirror image of each other on either side - but more interesting if there is one large tree and the placing is asymmetrical.

--- whatever you do, ask for disease resistant plants, otherwise you will just be tearing things out later-

Garden suggestions: lavender, dianthus groupings, a hanging plant on each side of the porch... - a garden that isn't too tall (6 inches, 1 foot, 3 foot max) so it stays in proportion to the house.

Please tell us what you decide upon. It is so exciting!!! And your planning process is great, planning brings success.

• rdbrya2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions!! I have decided to hire someone but am in the process of getting a few designs/quotes back...had a little sticker shock :-) But I know once I get this initial cost out the way, it should not cost as much to upkeep.

I will most definitely be rethinking the 2 tree idea....I think I rather the idea of 1 in an asymmetrical place as well.

I hope I can find that article in atticmag referenced above, I would love to see her home! Off to search it now :-) I also really love the idea of conversation benches in that large area in near the sidewalk. I love the idea of hanging plants as well!

I am in zone 9 (louisiana). I have gotten much more excited just reading all of your comments! Thanks again!! I will definitely post pics once I am complete and have decided on something (will be a few weeks though) :)

• chispa
    9 years ago

We usually tell people to look on Houzz.com for ideas and inspirations for inside projects/décor, but forget that they also have great outdoor hardscape and landscape photos. Well worth spending a couple of hours browsing and make sure you save the ones you like to your "ideabook".

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Lovely home. You already have some great suggestions from several people. Good to know where you are located, as it will truly make a difference with plant suggestions/choices.

Would definitely plant your trees away from the house. Trees are meant to 'frame' the house and if you have a pool I can understand your desire to minimize the leaves you'll have to deal with. Think about what size any foundation plants will be in 5-6 years and how much upkeep you are willing to do on full-grown shrubs. Do your research on anything your landscaper of choice suggests. Visit the nursery with him/her if possible and be a part of the plant selections once they give you the layout. Make sure they understand you have final approval on all plant selections. In other words, don't 'settle' on something you are unsure about or don't like just because they put it on a piece of paper.

This time of year is a great time to visit nurseries or botanical gardens nearby and see what is blooming (shrubs, border plantings, etc) and take photos of what you like. Write down names if possible and keep a list of things that appeal to you. Most nurseries or botanical gardens are more than happy to tell you about the varieties of plants available and their mature sizes. If not, go home and look on the internet. You don't want to put an 8' plant in front of those pretty french doors!

Do you use all 3 doors all the time? For now, you could start with a couple of chairs on the porch and a couple of large planters with some interesting plantings in them between the doors. Ferns or tall spiky plants, with other colorful plants mixed in front and something trailing out. Lots of container ideas available and you could easily do that yourself.