Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scanmike_gw

Color and Lighting Question?

scanmike
9 years ago

It seems that any color I try in the sunroom in my home, which is really part of my living room, has a slight green undertone. I just re-painted to BM Stone Hearth, which has no green undertone what so ever, and I still see a khaki color especially when compared to the living room. My daughter couldn't believe it. It looks better than the last color, which was RH Latte (similar to Crisp Khaki) which had a green undertone. I purposely stayed away from Manchester tan, Grant Beige, etc because of the green undertones. When I first moved in I used BM Stingray, which is a green gray so I never realized the problem. Even Revere Pewter turned green. It's crazy. What is causing the green light???

Comments (5)

• chispa
    9 years ago

I'm assuming a sun room has lots of windows, so my best guess would be that the glass in your windows is tinted or you have tinted solar film on your windows.

This is the reason I'm getting the Starphire Glass on my new shower door. Clearer glass had less iron content. I spent a lot of time designing and picking the tile colors in the shower and I don't want the regular green tinted glass to turn my beige toned shower into a green shower!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i also think that the greenery from outside can tend to influence how a color is percieved...

• scanmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think the windows are tinted but really don't know anything about how they are manufactured. They are Anderson 8 over 8 panes. As for greenery, we live by the ocean. There is alot of open sky and some large trees outside but I think the problem is the same in the winter as well. I was going to repaint RH Silver Sage, and now I wish I did. It seems any grey, beige, taupe, cream turns greenish. This is nuts.

• peony4
    9 years ago

I would take your colors tried thus far, as well as the details about the room, and ask your BM store for help. "Paint guys" (and ladies) can be a great resource in pointing you in the right direction. My local BM store, unfortunately, has terrible customer service, but the paint guy at my Home Depot must have a PhD in color and has been a wealth of information. He's been there forever, and has counseled me through my "I-want-yellow-but-not-really-yellow" days and my "why-can't-I-find-the-perfect-gray" stage.

• scanmike
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peony4,

The problem is I already re-painted. Believe me, I must have bought 20 sample cans from BM Thunder (grey) to SW Accessible Beige (greige). I painted huge 20 x 20 boards and watched the lighting in different areas over months. It's been literally 9 months since I started considering the color. A designer on Houzz suggested this color because it looks like putty. It did look greyer on the sample and where I painted it on the wall. But I guess when you paint the whole thing that changes. I just have to learn to accept it and bring in more accessories in blue ( painting dining room Silver Sage by RH). I will stop focussing on it in time. It's seriously probably the last time I will paint the living room but if I ever did again in a few years, I know that I have to go white, blue true grey or green. Lesson learned. Even swatches don't necessarily ensure the outcome.