Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voila2

Is picture framed wallpaper passe?

voila
9 years ago

Just wondering if the idea of framed boxes of wallpaper is out of style. When using a large pattern like previous Peony Tree post, I wonder if framing in elegant paper panels instead of doing the entire room in more affordable wallpaper might look more custom. Or is this out of date? I do still see this in high end dining rooms, etc. Your thoughts?

Comments (14)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I never pay attention to what's in style. If I like it, I use it. If not, I don't. Simple as that.
    Personally, I think it depends whether or not it works with your style or not. If it does, go for it.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't think it's common enough to be considered in terms of "trend" or "dated". It's an appropriate way to hang large scale patterned or scenic papers, particularly if they are chinoiserie style papers.

• voila
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your replies, justgota and pal. I do think this could be used like art work with $$$$ wallpaper. Had to chuckle over this modern rendition.

• kitchen
    9 years ago

IMO I don't think it's passé at all. I love the way it looks. I've seen rooms from all eras using that concept.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love to see framed wallpaper. If you do it please post for us to see!

• bostoned
    9 years ago

This is something I've considered doing myself. I never thought of it as being a trend or not. I have large wall space and have thought of using wall paper in panels,exactly as in the photo. It's a great look in my opinion.

• bostoned
    9 years ago

This is something I've considered doing myself. I never thought of it as being a trend or not. I have large wall space and have thought of using wall paper in panels,exactly as in the photo. It's a great look in my opinion.

• voila
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think I personally have the wall to do it. Hmm...that
    dining room oil painting may find a new home. Just wanted to present the option of a different way to use wallpaper. Everyone seems to cringe when I mention papering the dining room and adding wainscoting. I could do this without the wainscoting!

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

Lol, here's a shot of the dressing room in my space at the showhouse I'm working on...I hope it's not passe...

(this is a "during" photo, so ignore the triple oval mirror with all the newspaper on it over to the left!) And the panels are not even hung in this picture.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I don't think so...but then again, I'm biased. I did it in my DR in my historic Wm. Morris wallpaper.

• sis3
    9 years ago

Some of the bedrooms in our local Parade of Homes last month used framed wallpaper as the headboards.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Pretty!!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

To be honest, I'm kind of over it. Still looks nice when done correctly, but it's one of those things that gets tried by enough people so that a lot of them aren't really pulling it off.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

For it to work, the wallpaper has to be really stunning and the frames blend with the rest of the room's trim. I've seen a lot of them that are just "wallpaper with a board around it".