Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Opinions on these 2 possible fabrics for DR chairs

bac717
9 years ago

I have started to look for fabric to use for 2 upholstered chairs for each end of our dining room table. I have a couple of choices to share with you so far and a few questions, as well.

Here are 3 pictures showing the two fabrics. One fabric is draped over a chair and the other is a small swatch. This first picture was taken without flash and is a good representation of the fabrics, I think.

I thought the fabric draped over the chair was a good contender because is has the green as well as the color of the fabric on the chair seats. In the shop, I wasn't sure about the green in the large check, but now that I have it at home, I think it works.

And here's a picture I've posted before. The wall color is way off in this pic. It's actually SW Blonde.

So, here are my questions:
1) Do you think either of these fabrics would work?
2) Should I be looking for a fabric with some black to tie in with the chairs?
3)Should I be looking for a fabric that has at least some of the color from the seats of the black chairs? Here's the chair fabric I am working with.

I'm hoping to use a chair like this at each end.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Comments (32)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the green French check fabric; not so much the other one.

• robnj_2006
    9 years ago

Maybe something in the brown range with less of a busy pattern to tie in with the table and chairs more as opposed to the wall?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

LOVE the larger check, as the tiny one on the larger sample just fades away at any distance. That 'buffalo check' fabric is made in many colors, and I have linked some below by P. Kaufmann, if you wanted more of a gold like your walls.

Note, though that these checks are much larger than those on your sample, at Pattern Repeat: Vert=4.50" Horiz=4.50". I think I recall that this vendor has it in smaller checks.

Here is a link that might be useful: P Kaufmann BUFFALO CHECK

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I vote for the buffalo check--the other one will look sort of like your carpet--too small to notice.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I like the green check. It brings a nice fresh feel to the room. The green is nice with black. No, you don't need to add any more gold, not with the walls and drapes.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

Oh I love what you are doing in your dining room! Would you come do mine?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love that large green check!!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am leaning toward the large green check, too. I have one reservation, tho. I'm not sure the green in the check works with the green of my sofa in the LR. I'm working with an L-shaped LR and DR. Maybe I shouldn't worry too much about that. I know they don't need to MATCH, but they still need to work together. The green in the other fabric is perfect with the sofa.

my3dogs - I found that fabric while I was looking on line. The green available there looks to be way too lime, but I do like the biscuit color you linked. However, I think I have enough of that color in the walls and drapes. The repeat is about 3" in one direction and about 3.5" in the other, so it's a little smaller than what you linked, but not too much smaller.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I like the green buffalo check. It will look smashing! I wouldn't worry about your LR sofa. There are many greens in nature and they all live in harmony. : )

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Definitely the large green check - I knew when I started reading that kswl would agree :)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

I think a black and cream buffalo check would look great.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Of the 2, I like the large green check best. The first one fades to almost nothing.

It would be nice to see something with black in it...you may like it even better....

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Maybe consider a stronger green or the soft red in the prints to kick the room up a notch.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Uh oh. Just remembered your green and burgundy plaid living room chairs. They are mere feet away, and that could be a problem with the green check. You were going to reupholster those, correct? I think I'd make a decision on those instead of adding chairs to a dining room that isn't used. Maybe the green and cream check in a green closer to the sofa color would work on the LR chairs.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may - Good memory! Yes, I do have a green and burgundy plaid on the chairs in the LR, but I REALLY want to change them. I may reupholster or I may replace them. Either way I'm not letting that fabric influence my choice for the DR. Thanks for bringing it up, tho.

Just like mamorella said, I have heard that greens are supposed to go together, just like in nature. Actually, at a distance, they don't look TOO bad together. I found the fabric at Loomcraft and right now, they have two very large bolts of this fabric. Knowing that, I feel I have time to do more looking around. I have a few more sources to check out as I find the time. And I will look at other colors in the buffalo check, as mentioned by gracie and beverly. The only thing with the check, tho, is the other color needs to be a cream, not white. That can eliminate a lot of choices.

• rjkidwiler
    9 years ago

just chiming in that I like the large check too!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still looking at fabrics and have found one more to consider. I'm posting here, but considered starting a new thread.

I found this at Calico. Maybe too close to the wall color, but the green is a perfect match with my sofa. The main problem with this fabric is the price. A little more than 3X's the price on the check everyone liked from my first two options. One thing this one has going for it, is how how it works with the color of the fabric on the chair seats.

I also stopped in a carpet store to look at the Karastan French Check in green. I really like it and to make everything even more confusing, am thinking about perhaps, maybe, using that in a rug under the table and not adding the upholstered chairs at each end.

As you can see, I am no good at making decisions.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

That fabric is lovely and would work beautifully in your room. If you do go with the Karastan rug you should probably not go with a large check fabric for the chairs. I would decide how important the rug is to you and if you really want to use it then look at fabrics like a paisley or a Jacobean floral for your chair seats.

It's probably more the overwhelming choices and the plethora of beautiful fabrics available than not being good at making decisions. If I limit my choices to four or five items I can decide in a snap. In today's world where we aren't limited by geography the choices are overwhelming. You room is going to be really beautiful!

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

I love the Calico fabric. Of course it's the most expensive one! Doesn't that always happen with everything we like??!!

I really love your DR. Like you, I am impossible in making decisions. However, I usually, deep down, know what I want and in the end that's what you should go with. And as for the cost, yes, it's more, but you will enjoy it for a long time and in the end it will be worth it!

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

Oops, it's not coming over. It's called sage buffalo check material you can order from Country Curtains $20.50 a yard. I've seen it in person and it's a nice color and fabric. I am thinking of it myself.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

While I love the green and white check, perhaps the Calico check is a better choice since it will bring cohesiveness to the gold of the walls, drapes, and seat covers. I keep picturing it in the LR though to jump-start a fresh and harmonious look, which you had really struggled with in your LR and then just moved onto the DR it seems. Might you just use the Calico check for the LR chairs since it goes so well with the sofa? Or use it for an upholstered ottoman for a coffee table? I remember the table was too high and you wanted to replace it. Or just get your fix with the check with pillows for the sofa. Whatever you do, I think it's a great choice to lighten the dark woods and golds in your LR and DR.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly - narrowing down all the choices to 4 or 5 is the difficult part for me.

cozy - seems like a trip to Country Curtains will be on my agenda soon. I'd like to see that fabric IRL. If the green is more toward sage, it might work better than the green buffalo check I am considering. Fortunately, I have a Country Curtains reasonably close to me. Thanks for finding that fabric. I hope I can get there soon.

may - I am amazed at your memory of my LR and DR. Thanks for all your suggestions. I have considered using the fabric from Calico somewhere in the LR. It's a nice change from the wine color I have in there now.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another update to my fabric search! Instead of making the almost 1 hour trip to Country Curtains, I just ordered a free sample of the buffalo check in sage and cream that was suggested by cozyplace. It arrived today and I like it very much. It is definitely a sage green as apposed to the other buffalo check I have from Loomcraft that is more of a celery(?) green. Here are a few pics showing the two buffalo check fabrics. Small sample is from Country Curtains. Large piece of fabric is from Loomcraft.

Here they are in the DR.

And here they are (with and without flash) with the LR sofa.

Do you think the fabric from Country Curtains is the way to go?

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or post here, but since I haven't received any replies, I guess I'll start a new thread.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It gets confusing when there's more than one thread on a topic!

The sage looks perfect!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, may, that it does get confusing. It's easier to follow the whole process if all the pictures are together on one thread. I just wish there was a way to add to the title of the original thread with something like "Update - new pictures added". Is there a way to do that???

Thanks for your reply. I think the sage is working a little better, too.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The Country Curtain's sage looks great with the sofa, much better than the celery green but the celery looks great with your botanicals. Is the sofa in the same room that you are using the chairs? Maybe IRL the sage would look great with the botanicals too. Could you take a pic of the CC sage fabric close to the botanicals?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Bac, I think when people take an interest in your project they'll continue to follow the thread. I love when people update. Plus I know you always come back and respond, and I really appreciate that!

The celery is a little "fresher" and brighter, and I was thinking it would be better with the black, but the sage does work in the DR too, and I like it with the red of the table. I like the sage better with the paint and the LR colors--sofa and rug. Maybe you could post a LR pic for Holly-kay.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

May, I think I am confused (a fairly constant state for me). I thought the fabic was for a pair of upholstered Parson's chairs for the dr. If the fabric is for the living room chairs I totally agree with you that the sage is a better choice. If the fabric is for the DR I do think the celery would look better.

I too appreciate seeing follow ups. I am always interested in the final outcome. Bac your dining room is such a beautiful project

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly - you are right about the sage with the sofa and the celery with the botanicals, but I think the sage also works with the botanicals better than the celery works with the sofa. There is actually a very small sample of the CC sage buffalo check near the botanicals in the group of pictures I posted yesterday. It's kinda hard to see. And here is a picture taken from the LR, looking into the DR, so you can see the proximity of the sofa.

may - thanks for your reply. I'm glad you are following my thread.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly - we were posting at the same time, so here's a little more info. The fabric IS for a pair of parson's chairs for the DR table, but I think they should work with the fabrics in the LR as well. If the DR was separate, then I think I'd lean toward the celery, but the sofa so close, I'm leaning toward the sage for the check on the chairs.