Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrwesson

Covering Mirrored wall

MrWesson
9 years ago

We are renting a house at the end of the month that I really like but need some ideas to cover up this mirror wall.

I was thinking fabric + liquid starch, hanging drapes, or buying sheets of drywall and hanging it temporarily + paint.

Any other ideas or reasons not to do what Ive mentioned?

Comments (17)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Oh, I would love that wall. I could make that house so romantic with those mirrors. It would look like Romantic Homes before I finished.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I agree with Patricia. I love the mirrored wall. I would be quite upset with our tenants if they put dry wall or fabric over a mirrored wall. If you do this please ask your landlord and get permission or you could be in for a battle royal when your lease expires!

• MrWesson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ holly-kay
    It would be hard to have a battle. This would be 100% temporary with no lasting effects. Starched fabric would remove with water and not leave any residue(this is how I am leaning). It would also be cheapest/easiest to remove.

The drywall wouldn't be permanantly affixed(light duty double sided tape). This idea is the most work and least desirable.

Regardless of who likes what we hate it and almost walked away from a house we loved otherwise for it.

I like the billy system as well.

• theclose
    9 years ago

We had the same issue. Here is the pic when we moved in. Mirror covered entire wall.

We did what teacats suggests, although we had the shelves custom made. I don't have a pic with both bookshelves in it, but there were two flanking the media cabinet. I put "pretties" and books on display, and left the bottom two shelves on each unit for toy baskets. I added uplights on dimmers behind each shelf. Loved, loved it! Here is the after pic.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The fabric and starch should work fine. So would a window film if you wanted to try that instead...goes up with water and is removable. Maybe like a rice paper...

They also make removable wallpaper, but it's expensive.

If you want to do drapes, sheers might be an interesting effect.

Get creative using colored post-it notes to create a wall of art colors.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You could put some opaque privacy film on it, then just peel it off when you leave.

Comes in different styles, as you can see in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Privacy film.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

You could do something like this with privacy film as Tibbrix suggested...

...or you could use a movable wall decal of some sort.

• GAinWM
    9 years ago

I would use the area in front of the mirror as a dance floor. Maybe even the whole room. No slipping if you dance in bare feet.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I was thinking a bar installed in front of it. Or a barre. Lol. Sorry I don't have a serious suggestion, but I don't blame you for wanting to cover it. We had a mirrored wall in the dining area of a rental house and I hated watching myself eat for the whole year we lived there. I swore I'd never put any mirror in a dining room again.

• User
    9 years ago

The only problem with putting up starched fabric is that it will be wet, and the water will seep around to to the back of the mirror and the edges of it may be de-silvered. If that happens the landlord may charge you to replace the entire mirror, which would be very costly. (Along these lines, It's interesting to me that people almost always spray window cleaner directly on a mirror instead of spraying the cleaner on the cloth. They spray polish directly on furniture and cleaner directly on painted and varnished wood, too, even when you can see the streaks where others have also done so. It's amazing how many "professional" cleaners do this also.)

I like the bookcase idea best. A solid wall of shelving will add architectural interest to the room and have ther obvious advantages.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

MrWesson, you are right in not wanting to live with something you abhor. I always, in situations like this, see through the eyes of a landlord and not a tenant. The bookcase idea would solve the issue beautifully without compromising the fixed elements in the room.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I gotta agree. As a tenant, I worry that something I do would cause them heartache if they came in and saw it (for a repair). And what if it does damage ______? How can I pay for it? I'd happily do shelves. Who can't use more storage space?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Just treat the mirrored wall like any other wall. Put furniture in front of it. Hang artwork using Command Strip Hooks. It will visually still expand the space, but not be the distraction and point of focus that it is now.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

We rented a house that had a wall of mirrors in our bedroom, on the only wall where the bed could be placed. I covered it in floor to ceiling sheers and loved it. I wish I had taken a picture, it was really very pretty, as it still reflected some light, almost making it look like a giant window.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a link to temporary wallpaper. Maybe that is a good option?

Here is a link that might be useful: Temp Wallpaper Link

• Fori
    9 years ago

Shoji screens?

That is one big wall of mirrors.