Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

Here is the green foyer

brutuses
15 years ago

Here are some photo's of my green foyer and the fabric that inspired me to paint it these colors:

Ceiling BM Grecian Green

Walls BM Tree Moss

{{gwi:1438904}}

Comments (53)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! That wall color looks a bit like BM Paris Rain that I've seen on here and loved. Good job picking out the colors.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone.

OK, no one said anything about my chicken. Don't you like him? I'm going to have a throw pillow made with some of this fabric to put it on my bench that will be in the foyer. I think he'll look great there to greet visitors. LOL I like him so much I may get some kitchen curtains made out of that fabric also. That fabric would look great with the Rich Cream in the kitchen.

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

Awww, I love your chicken! Could I see a picture of your front door? The little bit of it featured in your post looks gorgeous--I'd love to see it on the front of your house. The foyer will be perfect and I can't wait to see the pillow & bench when it's all done!

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma, paris rain is very, very close to these. It was actually in the running until I realized it was a little too gray for this room. I have Nantucket Gray in the office and the Paris Rain was very close to that color.

Before I joined this forum DH and I wouldn't even consider a green paint. We had never seen any green walls that appealed to us. Then I came here and saw so many gorgeous greens that we've now converted to loving green.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

It looks beautiful. . .the chicken also. And your DH did the painting? He did a great job!

• robynpa
    15 years ago

Beautiful paint and chicken!

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FTB, here's the front door

{{!gwi}}

• parma42
    15 years ago

Wow, what nice doors. Makes me really miss the wood in my old house.

Sorry to miss the chicken. I was in such a hurry looking at the paint color I just scrolled on by. That's a darling inspiration.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

The doors are beautiful!

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

Brutuses, do you know how wide your rough opening is for your front doors? I'm trying to figure out if you have maybe a 5ft opening.....or how wide each door is. They're beautiful!

• kimberlyrkb
    15 years ago

Love the greens, chicken AND the front doors. Looks very nice!

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fairytale, the doors are 8 ft. tall by 6 ft. wide, each door being 36". The opening has to be 75" x 99". Hope that helps. We bought this door at e-doors.com. We ordered the unfinished solid mahogany and finished it ourselves. e-doors are great to do business with and have the very best prices.

• teacats
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS doors, wonderful colors -- and yep -- the chicken is a winner too! Great choices all around!! :)

Jan

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

OMG! beautiful! that is a perfect green..you took the words out of my mouth..love the chicken :)

your doors are stunning..did you just install them? They have a vintage flair to them, can I ask what company are they from? you did a great job!
    Ree

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the compliments. DH gets all the credit for the front door. He picked it out, ordered it, hung it and stained it.

reeree, we purchsed it from e-doors.com online. They came as unfinished mahogany. DH put a couple to three layers of stain, then about 4 layers of poly.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I love those colors, you're doing great !!

• reeree_natural
    15 years ago

brutuses
    wow..hubby has great taste too! I absolutely love them..your house is beautiful! Thanks for the web site..I'll have to take a peek :)
    Ree

• amysrq
    15 years ago

This is very exciting, seeing the results roll in! Keep the pics coming!

• southernheart
    15 years ago

Brutuses, your house is looking so beautiful...I love the paint color, and those gorgeous doors!

• nhb22
    15 years ago

That's a really pretty color. Looks like a touch of gray.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Wow wow wow!! What a great look - love the color, love the doors and I even love the chicken ;-) Yes he'll look wonderful made up into a pillow.

• love-my-lilhome
    15 years ago

Some of the prettiest front doors I have ever seen.
    Your home is going to be a dream home.
    Your animals are going to be living like the movie star dogs do lol.
    I have loved everything you have picked out so far.
    Can hardly wait for the end results.

Linda

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Gorgeous color, adorable chicken, and man! Those doors are just stunning!

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Love the green walls and the inspiration for them! Too cute. And your doors are down right gorgeous! I'm heading over to e-doors to check them out.

• natal
    15 years ago

Love your choices! Those doors are gorgeous! We used a mahogany door in the addition, but didn't stain it ... just had it finished with Marine varnish.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Brutuses, love the colors you've selected. I had Tree Moss on the DR ceiling last house (with walls terra cotta and glazed). It is a beautiful green.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS!!! Brutuses, you can calm down about how your house is going to look now....it's fantastic!! I bet you're excited!

Lindy

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Brutuses, your house looks gorgeous. I love the green - & what great craftsmanship by your husband.

I am looking forward to more pics of your house.

Smiles:)

• perky_2
    15 years ago

The green foyer turned out beautiful! I also love the fabric.

Great job. Fun seeing your progress!

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Things are looking wonderful!

• kentucky7
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see the rest! I like the green on green combo. I've never been brave enough to venture from the usual white ceiling. Your's looks great.

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

That is fabulous! You have great taste in picking colors.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Looks like you are doing tremendous justice to that lovely home -
    Nice colors, nice job -

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your wonderful compliments, I really do appreciate them and DH was very grateful to hear the compliments too, especially on that door he worked so tiredlessly on.

Kelly, I figured if I can pick nice colors for an entire house than it's time to hang my shingle out "Color consultant, works cheap." HA! HA!

• cindyloowoo
    15 years ago

Love the green - especially on the ceiling - it really makes the molding stand out. The doors are wonderful! Love the chicken too.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

What a beautiful job with the paint and moulding. Makes me regret all my white ceilings we had done last year. I should've found this forum sooner or I would've done a lot of things differently.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't fret, all my other ceilings are bright white with the exception of the guest bath ceiling that I painted the same color as the walls since it's such a long, narrow space. I thought painting the ceiling the same as the walls might bring the ceiling down (it's 10 feet also). I'm not sure I like that bathroom ceiling and won't know until the white wainscoting goes up and the flooring goes down. Then I'll know if I like it or not. I still like my white ceilings in my other rooms though.

My success with the foyer colors was a lucky guess on my part, believe me. I didn't even give it 2 days thought, just did it. Needless to say I was ecstatic when it came out so well.

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Beautiful, brutuses!

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

LOVE the front doors!!! So what was your stain color and poly? Looks like semi-gloss?? And who was the maker of the door?

I've always been afraid to finish anything w/ glass. Was it a pain? Thanks!

Susan

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Susan, the stain was Red Mahogany by Min Wax. He used 2 coats of stain, no sanding in between coats. Three coats of a high glass poly called Last N Last. He doesn't remember the brand name. He bought it at the local Benjamin Moore store. He said it's the best exterior poly he's ever used. He used fine steel wool in between coats of poly.

We purchased the door from e-doors, but don't know who actually manufactures them. However, when you send e-doors your measurements, they assemble the doors with the threashold and everything, then take it apart and ship it so when you receive it, the fit is perfect. Installation was the easy part with the exception of the doors weighing a ton. LOL

As far as application he said a good sash brush is all you need. He said he had a little scrapping to do, but not much.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Beautiful color choice and I love your inspiration piece! Your doors are to die for too!!

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Brutuses, I love everything I've seen about your house, inside and out.

I looked at the edoors site twice but still didn't find your door. Am I missing it or is it not shown?

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mammie, I went to the e-doors site and it's completely changed from when we ordered our door, which was just the end of last year. I sent them an e-mail and asked if they still carry our door which is an 8ft. mahogany El Paso glass door. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mammie, we just realized that the web page is
    e-DoorStore.com. The door is on the home page. I am so sorry. I apologize to anyone who went looking and couldn't find the door.

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

I found it! Thanks so much.

Mammie

• flseadog
    15 years ago

Brutuses, If you're still our there, are your greens on the same color strip of paint chips? We have picked out a Porter Paints color for our walls---a soft green in the middle of the strip and thought we would paint the ceilings the first color on the same strip. Separated by white on the crown molding we thought this would still be light enough on the ceiling to not be oppressive but still set off the white trim and make it distinctive. Maybe I missed it in all postings but I can't figure out how you picked your two greens. Your foyer is just beautiful and I'd love to hear specifics.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Brutuses, it is magnifique. You have great taste and I understand the fabric inspiration.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

What a great shade of green. I collect Roosters, and I think your chicken is a keeper.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. Me, a person who always hated green, is now in love with green. LOL See what this forum can do to ya!!

The greens are next to each other on the paint strip.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Very pretty.............Love those doors!
    bonnie