Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leennp

What I thought looked good did not turn out so well, WTD?

leennp
9 years ago

So I have stressed over so many details with this whole house remodel, it was bound to happen, but did not really want my master bath shower to be the opps of the house, but it seems that way! Had to at last minute pick new tile as what I wanted was backordered for 3 months, could not wait. Picked another tile, similar but not same. So I had ordered what should have been enough glass mosaic for accent in shower, but when if came in, several pieces were broken and than other pieces of the marble insets had rusty orange patches, so fast forward to tile guy saying don't worry, we can save enough of glass to do one strip, not enough for recessed shampoo thing, but I have enough floor mosaic to do shelf, shows me pictures of other showers like that and I think it looks fine, will be great. Forward to final product and while I don't hate it, it does not make me think wow or anything close. I can't change it, can't afford new tile or labor as budget for whole house almost gone in final stages, so I must live with it. So I guess I am asking for help in that I wonder if what is throwing me off even more is wall color is bathroom is wrong. There will eventually be a walnut vanity with a marble top in the room and door trim etc is not in yet. I hope you can see from the picture the small sliver of wall color visible to the left of the shower, could not get wall color and full effect of shower in one shot.

Comments (27)

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I think the shower looks pretty, but the paint color looks too blue to be matching.

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is what I got to thinking as I stared at it, the paint color is throwing me off, the paint was picked to go with ordinal tile selected that was no longer available, so initially thought would be ok, but not so much after tile in. Also really wish had rethought the floor tile in the shampoo shelf, but won't see that much when stuff on it. A second color wall color I considered was BM Stonington Grey, any opinions on that with tile color? Other suggestions?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I think 4 different tiles is 1 too many. The glass mosaic is the one not playing well with the others. Have it removed, and insert the floor mosaic in it's place. That will give greater continuity to the look. And for the wall paint, plain bright white would be my first choice.

• robnj_2006
    9 years ago

I think the floor tile in the shelf area is too distracting from the glass accent tile. Can you go with smaller version of the wall tile instead? The shelf will stand out already without the break in color/pattern.

I think the wall color will may be ok once you trim out the opening. Ideally though maybe a more earthy gray color would have bed better .

• audreyrama
    9 years ago

I had a very sim mosaic tile but in a stainless mix and we went with a dark grey neutral paint to match one of the mosaics colors and lots of white trim and it looked really god.
    Your paint is too pale and too blue to contrast the tile.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

If you can remove it, I'd remove all accent tile from the niche and put in the field tile.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Very disappointing. I'm sorry this happened to you. I agree to first change the wall color.

I also agree that there is too much going on. But, this is your master bath and not a focal point of your home. I say, leave it for now. You can always change things out later. Do you have extra tiles? I agree to get rid of the niche and replace with the field tile when things settle down and it's in the budget.

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I know the niche tile is really not a good look, but not sure if can remove, have no money left in budget for tile redo's. To get it out, all of precisely cut trim around would have to come out because it went in first. Yes I fully regret my choice but have no way to afford redo of tile. Was never supposed to be 4 tiles in room, the last minute unavailability of tile meant a quick decision I regret. I will have to live with it though for better or worse. Guess I just wanted to post to vent about it hoping would make me feel better, maybe no solution.

• sprout26
    9 years ago

We have what looks to be very similar tile and used the Stonington grey, really like it, has more brown in it. Put the leftovers in my upstairs hall, looks different with different lighting.

As to the niche, if there is any way to take out the squares I would, although once you get it filled up with product you won't notice it as much.

When we chose accent tile it was on backorder so went with something totally different, now I'm glad we did as the first tile was a brighter, in your face color and wouldn't have gone well. Like your glass/marble combo.

• robnj_2006
    9 years ago

Any way you can ask the tile guy for a break? Since he steered you towards putting the floor tile in the shelf, maybe he would be happy to make sure he has a satisfied customer? You need know until you ask, and it's always better to ask now rather than later. Besides, I don't think it's as much additional labor as you think especially if you replace with larger tile.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would take out the skinny mosaic accent stripe as that's the odd man out. You're not going to redo the shower floor. Even if it was all square mosaic, it would be too fussy. Maybe redoing that small section of wall is the easiest fix.

• doodledog_gw
    9 years ago

I would take the large grey shower tile and tile right over the square mosaics at the back of the shelf. You'll lose a small amount of depth but I think it would be visually calmer.

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

Doodledog has it correct. Just tile over the niche mosaic with the wall tile. Your tile guy should do this for free. I tile - it's not a big job. Really wouldn't take any time and he steered you wrong with going for the floor tile.
    I can't see the color well on my monitor but it looks too baby blue. More gray needed.

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Stonington gray might work. But it still has a sense of blue about it. Something like Coastal Fog or London Fog, with little blue or green in them, might please you more.

I don't understand why everyone is telling you to change the tile. You said in the opener that it is staying at this point.

And really, the tile is fine, even if it's not your dream tile. It's a clean, new, neutral look and will do the job.

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, the easiest is obviously paint color but will find out about just using the larger shower tile and tiling right over the niche. That may be a doable suggestion, my husband could even do this if tiler won't, we have a wet saw, and have tile left over. Depth change won't matter too much. Also thanks for the encouragement, no it is not my dream tile, but yes is new, neutral and a nice tile job. Much better than my current shower at current house. I also think I am a little jealous of my teenage daughters new bath tile, she ended up with a beautiful shower with a lot of wow factor, and of course teenage girl sparkle in glass mosaic, she never would pick so I picked for her, and turned out great. So I put the girly bling in her bathroom, knowing my husband would not go for it in master!

• User
    9 years ago

I would do a couple of things: replace the niche tile with field tile, and I would also replace the floor tile with a single shower floor constructed of a marble resin or corian material custom colored to your tile. The glass accent tiles do not play well with the 2x2's in the niche or the floor, as the latter are so busy and loudly colored they belie the soothing palette of the rest. A shower pan of a solid surface material will be MuCH less expensive than you'd think and an added advantage is there is no grout to clean.

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I agree the shower floor is too busy. It was never supposed to be this initially, original backordered shower floor tile was solid color 2x2 squares that matched the also back ordered floor. When I had to change to the other floor due to the backorder, the coordinating mosaic is what you know see, had to choose based on small picture and not actual tile to look at. Oh well, live and learn. And no the shower floor can't just be replaced, it is a whole waterproofed system and removing parts of it won't work. and then we are back to no money in budget and while a solid surface may be less than I think, it is not in the no money necessary category

• User
    9 years ago

We need to be reminded that sometimes when something is newly done- we see it zeroing in on at 100% total focus which is unfair.
    I think that once you do have products using the niche as someone else mentioned, it wont be staring at you so much.
    Give it time.
    I also think if it really does bother you- and you are able to just tile over it simply, go for it.
    And, I do agree that the paint color, at least on my monitor,may be a little too jarring.
    I am sure this is still a million times better than what was there- relax and enjoy it.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think it just needs some warming up with a gray beige paint with a warmer undertone. Once you have everything finished I think you will like it much more.

I agree that if you still do not like just tear out the niche and replace the tile with the shower tile.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i would definitely tile over the existing niche tile, because that is what would most bother me... a narrower depth will limit your bottle size but will look much better!
    if you really need the extra depth on the small lower shelf, you could proably leave that one as is and just get a soap dish, etc to help hide the tile abit... covering at least the larger space and preferably both will help alot!!
    i would paint the walls a grayer shade... is the marble for the vanity carrera??

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Does your floor/shower wall tile come in 2" squares? I would have put that on the floor of the shower to give a more continuous look and also ditched the pattern in the shower niche. It just looks busy with the pattern. And a greyed-down paint would look better I think.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Yes, my first thought was to tile over the existing tiles in the niche. There is just too much going on in that shower stall. Are the tiles in shades of gray? The wall looks blue-gray on my monitor and the tile looks gray. Not sure that is correct.

I have a very similar niche and losing a half inch of the depth or even a tiny bit more, would not affect its usefulness.

Sorry this happened to you. I had some tile disappointments when doing my bathroom, too.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the floor tile and the niche tile. Especially once you have bottles in the niche, a little of the tile peeking through will be very nice.
    Personally, I would have skipped the glass accent stripe, but once again, live with it for a while and try to go with a more beige grey wall paint color (maybe sample Edgecombe Grey?)

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Things like this have happened to me . . .actually, with the same tile! I wanted a very classic look and just wanted subway tile. DH wanted an "accent" and got the black/white tile (the same that you have on the floor and in the niche, but ours was just a trim). While it was OK, it was not what I wanted . . .and I wish I had just listened to myself. BUT, I was glad it was functional, clean, and done. I know how disappointing it is.

Repaint, maybe. "Someday" you CAN change it. But move onto something else now . . .

• crl_
    9 years ago

I think paint, products in the niche, and a solid color bath mat on the floor and it will all look just fine!

• radley
    9 years ago

Actually, I think your tiles look great. And I am really particular about things.

As said, it is just the grey with the blue, they are too close in colour so they seem as though they are supposed to match and do not. Just go to another paint colour.

For example, greys and palest yellows with white trim look fantastic.

This isn't a bathroom but look how great the colours are:
    http://yournestdesign.blogspot.ca/2010/08/exploring-color-aganthus-green-benjamin.html

Lots of choices. I painted a room in Benjamin Moore Weston Flax (at 50% lighter) and it came out very well, like the palest shade of butter (like a palest butter with a cream undertone).

or look at this:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/for-your-home/rooms-by-colour/warm-and-cozy-yellow-living-room

or

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/for-your-home/rooms-by-colour/classic-yellow-living-room-with-a-twist

Since it is a small room, I would suggest cutting the colour by 50% so that it would be really soft.

-------------------

Or.... I had a bathroom with tiles in a design like yours and painted the walls in the palest pearl grey - almost an off white (be careful not to get a grey that turns blue or green). And they I added white accents (towels, mat) with some art with white and a bit of colour. When we sold the house the new owners really liked the room.

Wait until you see it with another paint colour and your rich wood vanity. Your bathroom will be fine, I am sure.

Post a photo and show us the success!

Radley

• leennp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry have been working and not able to get back to posting. Yes the countertop is carrara, that is already purchased too, hence why I thought the glass mosaic with the marble insets would help tie it all together not have the opposite effect! And yes the shower flow mosaic is the mosaic that goes with the floor/wall series tiles, it is actually three shades of grey, very light, medium and charcoal that comes across as black in the picture, I think because of the contrast. I spent a log time agonizing over the wall paint, chosen way back before knowing the floor was backordered and not to be, so will look for warmer grey, was trying to stay light do the the smallness or room but this grey reads very cool/blu in the picture and then very little contrast between wall color and shower wall tile. I broke the news to my husband that we need to repaint in there but at least the trim is not up yet. Just need to find right color. I must have 12 color samples of different grey's I considered before so hoping maybe one of those I ruled out will actually work with new tile.