Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Suggestions for window treatments

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

I have decided to go with a Sunbrella off white linen look fabric for my sink skirt, pleated with navy grosgrain trim.

What would you suggest for the WT --- which will be 99% decorative, not functional.

Here is a pretty up to date moodboard except the paint in the back of the hutch is a much paler shade.

Comments (20)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

What do you have in mind? Do you want soft goods or hard goods, or both? Do you want privacy, sun protection, or just aesthetics.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Personally I like the plain undressed windows.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree with sandhi - no WT.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just aesthetics, no need for privacy or sun protection from this exposure.

Hmm, that's save me some!

: )

• User
    9 years ago

What are those black ovals over the windows?

Clarifying: Not the wreaths, but the black sort of blob things above the windows?

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, May 3, 14 at 6:14

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Then I say no window treatments in that case, and if later you need something to give you the feeling of a window covering, do a white cotton organdy (bottom half-window) panel that you can shirr on the tiny rod curtain just to diffuse sunlight somewhat.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Dutch crochet valance

Or something like these:

Or nothing at all.

Oh, and don't google image "amsterdam windows"

• peony4
    9 years ago

Mtn, I can't picture your windows without the wreaths now! I say no window treatments... go with seasonal wreaths or, if you're not into wreaths, grab a pot of herbs at the grocers on your way up. (If they dry out, you can toss or use on the grill next time.)

Or, some vintage blue/aqua bottles and vases with the sun filtering through.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

No WT needed...it's great as is...

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Well, it's not much of a curtain, cotton organdy, but this blog spot begs you to stop and enjoy the time.
    http://kathrynstriplingbyer.blogspot.com/2011/03/remembering-march-wind-through-organdy.html

• teeda
    9 years ago

I love curtains in a vintage kitchen, but since you have a sink curtain on your window wall I don't think they'd work for you.

If you do anything, how about a classic roller shade--maybe canvas or oil cloth with an interesting shade pull?

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Definitely a semi-sheer half curtain. It would tie the whole kitchen together, IMO.

Are you set on the navy stripes for the under sink curtain? Everything is perfect but when I see the navy it reminds me of "One of these things is not like the other." lol. Maybe it's the picture.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the last but one "valance" I posted --- reminds me of my grandma's house. She repurposed her monogrammed wedding linens when they couldn't be used as a tablecloth or sheet anymore.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

the second one nosoccermom posted but without the bees and decor, just plain old unlined cotton organdy for the bottom half of the window shirred on a pencil thin rod.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Patricia, and LOL NoSoccer.

Oak, The reason I want some navy with the white is that the chairs are navy and white, and so are my dishes (with some aqua too). I don't want it to be matchy-matchy, but I do want it harmonious, KWIM?

WMA, Funny, i wanted a roller shade for one of thehall baths, and Calico COrners says they don't make them from custom fabric anymore!? Said they always broke ...

Annie, coming from the WT queen, I'd say that is a pass!

Peony, You know that is 100% mockup? They are images I googled, stretched and cropped and overlaid on my GC's CAD/CAM image!

Nosoccer, those are all so pretty. I should have been clearer, when I said decorative and not functional I also meant not light-blocking. Some of yours would fit the bill...

• peony4
    9 years ago

Mtn, yes, I assumed so, but I've grown accustomed to the quirky, only-on-the-right-side placement of those wreaths in your unfitted kitchen. They mimic the up-north cabin decor of my family that's never questioned in that element, but would never fly here in the suburbs.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I have gotten custom roller shades from Smith and Noble in the last and never had one break.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smith and Noble roller shades

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

I have cafe curtains for the windows above my sink. Unfortunately, it is cloudy (Seattle!!) so these pictures are not great. I think they cozy up the kitchen.

This post was edited by lovestowalk on Mon, May 5, 14 at 16:34

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I recommend finishing this room without WT and living with it for awhile - you can always add them later.

Of course I'm one of those people who never wants to actually 'finish' decorating. What would I do or think about then? :D

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Naked windows are pretty and beach-y :)