Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Venetian Plaster on textured walls?

violetwest
9 years ago

In my continuing quest to gussy up the back of my kitchen island into my family room area, I'm considering a Venetian Plaster treatment -- or more accurately, a "faux" VP treatment, probably Behr's Venetian Plaster.

My question is -- my walls are already slightly textured. So -- will this not work? The walls have to be smooth, right? Could I

Comments (8)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ah, nevermind -- probably won't work and not worth it. I so want to do something in that area though!

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

With textured walls, I simply used wall paint with a rag and wiped it on. Another damp rag to get the right look. Slightly different hues of paint add to the look. The textured walls did their thing for looking true rather than faux. And you can always easily paint over if it isn't what you want.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm confused as to where you want to put the plaster....the back of an island to me is below the counter where people put their feet...is that the "wall" you are talking about?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay here is a pic which may help. (Ignore the clutter of the table and stools there -- that was temporary.) Many months ago I posted a thread here about putting rock veneer here, a plan which was discouraged by y'all. Still struggling with this area and want to do an artistic and striking feature. I've considered quite a few things -- rock, wallpaper, wood paneling. But in the end, it must be EASY as my skills are limited, so I was thinking a paint treatment would work. some research told me that a faux VP wouldn't work because I'd have to do too many coats to get it smooth. The paint has an orange peel texture already in it.

I know that I want the treatment to include the back of my counter on the left of my picture (yes where people sit) and continue it on to the adjacent wall to the right horizontally. I would extend the moulding straight across almost like a chair rail, or put a tile or other decorative strip there.

That wall (and you can't see the whole thing in the pic; think its about 12 feet?) is where my entertainment/family room area is and where the tv will go. Am planning to purchase a new tv and two low stands (one for the tv and one for the computer); and probably bookshelves there too. I will have art or something above on the wall. (My current thinking is padded and fabric tile squares, for acoustical purposes).

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, May 9, 14 at 11:22

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd look at wallpapers...you can get them to look like brick or tile or wood or tin or almost anything else and it should probably be more durable than just paint.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

I think you can achieve a pretty good venetian plaster look with paints and glaze, probably a darker paint tone underneath and a lighter one with the glaze/paint over it. Behr also sells textured paint but the reviews aren't all that hot so if it were me (after trying out a few sample runs on something like posterboard), I'd mark off the wall area with a chalk line where the trim will be and paint and glaze below. Glaze is hard to touch up if something happens to the wall but it can be a stunning, creative look.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have considered wallpaper -- I question my ability to install wallpaper when I've never done it before -- especially horizontally like that. Suppose I could hire someone.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

maybe . . . cork tile or flooring?

ETA: good for acoustics, but looks probably too complicated

and in other news I just today bought a giant furry beanbag, two low (coffee) tables and a tv stand to put along that wall to make up my entertainment center, so at least I am now making progress in that area.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:18

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia