Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tfm1134_gw

color close to SW Blonde but...

tfm1134
15 years ago

not quite as yellow?? Looking for something very similar but more of a camel color to go thru out my home(a color that glows???)

Comments (41)

• customdecorator
    15 years ago

one color up from that on the color card is Restrained Gold, there are many people here who have that in their homes and it's goregous. If you check out the "favorite yellows and golds" in the gallery, I believe there are a few posted in there.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

SW Dromedary Camel or Sesame (more brown) are two beautiful colors from the old color sticks. They are not quite as bright as Blonde or Restrained gold. Sesame has more brown to it, Dromedary is a little brighter than Sesame. They just dont photograph well, at least I dont think they do. Buy the $5 quarts to try it out.

Dromedary camel

Sesame

• customdecorator
    15 years ago

gk5040, I love the Dromedary Camel, would you say it is fairly close to the way it looks in the pic?

• parma42
    15 years ago

I have Blonde in my kitchen and master bedroom. Love it in the kitchen but wished I had something darker in the bedroom.

Went through 20 SW quarts to go and ended up with SW Stonebriar in the great room. It's very close to BM Wilmington Tan but just a smidge more gold to it. I love it. Very warm with no yellow to it.

I sampled Dromedary Camel and loved that. I was just afraid when I looked at the colors on the can that they mixed it with (lots of yellow) that it wouldn't be right. Looking at GK's though, it would have worked too. That Sesame is very nice GK and your room is giving me more ideas about my fireplace.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

GK...I've seen it before but just wanted to say "I love your house" The wall colors are gorgeous but it's also the way you put everything together. Might have to bookmark your post! Just beautiful! ;c)

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

SW Dromedary Camel!! LOVE that color. We painted our main area of our new home in Blonde, it's nice - but much more yellow then I was hoping for. We painted our master bedroom SW Dromedary Camel, and it's perfect!

gk5040 - beautiful home... very, very nice!

• robynpa
    15 years ago

My master bedroom is also SW Dromedary Camel. We have had it painted this color for many years and I have always loved it!

• tfm1134
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love both of those colors! I will have to get samples. Is Sesame by SW or BM. I am really liking the Sesame. Is it a darker color? I don't have quite the light you do in your den so really need something that isn't to dark or bright

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I dont think Sesame is too dark, there are 2 darker colors on the its color stick. There is one color lighter than sesame and its called raffia basket... I painted that in the living room. Tomorrow, I will post another pic of the family room and the living room. Raffia basket is also a pretty color....a safer choice if you are unsure, but definately not as gold. Can you post pictures of your funiture and what else is in the room. Some of us might be able to help you with color if we see where you are putting it.

• summiebee
    15 years ago

I just finished painting my den area dromedary camel because of this post and it's perfect. I really love it. I'd honestly paint my entire house this color if I could choose ust one. Thanks so much for posting it. I only saw the larger sample cards at SW. Do you know what else is on this card? I was thinking of going two shades darker for my foyer because it gets so much light and the den I painted is just off the foyer so it would all coordinate.

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Oh now come on...you're teasing us summiebee! Where are the photos? LOL! I'd love to see!

I don't have the old SW fandeck to answer your question but I hope someone else can help.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

A year and a half ago I did some foam test boards of the Pittsburgh Paint 2 oz test pots and a couple of colors might fit, but I can't remember their names. I think there for awhile they had the pots in Menards? They had them at my Benjamin Moore store too. Some of the colors were similar but just a bit different. For example PP Tabu is similar to BM's Camoflage but just a bit different. (I linked their website but its not that useful)

I thought some of the colors were pretty nice and I love the little test pots.
    Also, what about the SW strip with....Whole Wheat?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pittsburgh paints color pots

• parma42
    15 years ago

Dromedary Camel is from their Concepts in Color collection, I believe. Don't think they have the regular strips showing five or six colors.

On the SW website they say that #6096 Jute Brown is a complimentary color. If you have no luck, you can always ask the paint store to just make up a darker formula of the Dromedary.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

GK, clipping your pics. Your house looks like it came out of a magazine! Wow! Love both colors and so glad you shared them with us. Have a feeling you just showed me the color for my family room. Thanx.

• jencox
    15 years ago

My kitchen is in blonde and i love it...my living room is right next to it and the walls pretty much flow..what is another color that would go good against the blonde for my living room..something either olive tone, beige tone?? neutral??
    Jennifer

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

I just want to say thanks to those who posted and will be posting pics of these colors. I'm debating about some golds for possible my kitchen and main bathroom but didn't want anything too yellow.

Quick question and then I'll stop thread hijacking... so they don't have the Dromedary camel or Sesame on the little sample strips? Do you just tell them you want those colors mixed up in sample pots when in the store?

I remember the Restrained Gold on the strip and there were I think two darker colors on there but don't remember the names and they seemed to be REALLY dark.

Tfm - let us know what you decide!!

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Sheesharee, I recently posted on using RG in my DR. Here is a pic. I know one of the darker collors on the strip is relic bronze but I can't remember the other one. I just did my great rom, main hallways and foyer in Mannered gold. When i return from my trip i will post pics.
    Restrained gold:

• parma42
    15 years ago

Shee, the thread had already been hijacked, silly. :)

I can't speak for Sesame but I have a sample card for Dromedary Camel.

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

deborahnj - thanks for posting those pics!! Wow I love the looks of the golds in everyone's houses but I'm scared to put it on my walls!!! Yes please post the other pics when you can!

Parma - oops. :)
    Didn't you say the DC was an old color? I'll have to double check tonight but I don't remember seeing the DC or Sesame on any of the strips I have. I don't have the color deck but I grabbed I think every sample except for orange and purples. I'm thinking the Sesame looks maybe like a safer choice for myself. Would you mind posting a pic of your great room with the SW Stonebriar?

Gk4050 - Pretty home by the way!!

• parma42
    15 years ago

It's in their Concepts in Color collection. They have different cards so maybe you missed it or thought it too dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dromedary Camel

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

I bet I didn't grab it!! Going to check!! Is the sesame in the collection also?

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

She, this is what happens when you have jet lag, my DR is SW chamois, not RG and I painted the other rooms RG. Chamois is one of the darker colors on the strip. Sorry about that. I have been up since 4 am yesterday and it is close to 11 here in Brussels.

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

She, this is what happens when you have jet lag, my DR is SW chamois, not RG and I painted the other rooms RG. Chamois is one of the darker colors on the strip. Sorry about that. I have been up since 4 am yesterday and it is close to 11 here in Brussels.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

Blonde was on my list but my room had a lot of north light and it just didn't work. I ended up with BM Desert Tan. In my light it's a Golden tan.

• georgiagal
    15 years ago

I agree that Dromedary Camel is a great color! In fact, I have been recommending it for years since one of my friends in GA had this in her house 10 years ago. It's still a great color, but they discontinued that color pallette & came out with a new one. Great that you can still get it mixed. I can't remember the name but one shade darker was also pretty. I have the whole old fandeck somewhere around here, but can't put my hands on it right now.

It looks great in these pics! Beautiful home too.

I now have Whole Wheat in my house in all the common areas & it is very similar to Dromedary Camel. It's in the new fandeck in case anyone wants a comparable. I will have to compare them side by side, but I think they are very similar. Whole Wheat may have a tad more green in it.

You can't go wrong with a good neutral golden tan!

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

Deborahnj - Jet lag and you're still a trooper on the decorating forum! :) Thanks for the color clarification. Have a safe trip back!

Susan - Do you happen to have any pics?

Georgiagal - First like to say the pics I've seen of your house are GORGEOUS! Let me know about the comparison with Whole Wheat and Dromedary Camel.

Should I start a new thread for this stuff? Just trying to see as many different pics of these colors as possible before I head to buy samples. Very good thread Tfm! Figured since the colors were already listed in this thread and it's a continual it was alright? I don't want to be rude or use poor forum etiquette..

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

She,thanks! I see I triple posted. Yikes. Feeling a bit better today.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Shee, you don't have to worry about tfm, this post went way back to May. Someone else started it up again so feel free to either keep this one going or start another.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

I have Mannered Gold in the bedroom that is several shades down from the Blonde. It is such a great color. I also have the Restrained Gold if you wanna peek.......good luck with your choices. Bonnie
    Restrained gold in DR is on page 1

Here is a link that might be useful: Mannered gold in bedroom

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Bonniee....I love how your home turned out. Very beautiful. The colors are georgeous. I was admiring your bedroom comforter and drapes. Did you have them custom made? I also loved your dining room chandelier. I am looking for a new one and was wondering if you remember who the manufacturer of your lighting was? Thanks:)

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind compliments, gk5040! The chandelier in the DR came from Sunbelt Fans & lighting out of Laurel, Ms. I am sorry I don't remember the brand. The quality was better than Lowe's so we got the whole house lighting there. Price was running neck & neck too .
    The bedding & drapes came from Ray's (a custom shop) in Jackson, Ms. but they also sell ready made. I bought ready made comforter set & drapes there plus rods. Below is a link . Hope this helps you! :) Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedding & drape link

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Bonniee, thank you for the link, Rays looks like a great place to shop for bedding....wish they were in FL:) Was there a brand name to your bedding? I would be interested in looking at a brand name website to check dimensions of their bedding. We just bought a new mattress set and my old comforter is not long enough....it needs to be at least a few more inches to make it nicely past the top edge of the box spring. These new mattresses so tall....its crazy. I hate to go custom, but most of the stores carry comforters that are made to fit standard size or the older size mattress depths. So buying something in a department store has not worked out for me. At least I am back to a standard size bedskirt. Our last mattress set we bought 10 years ago, had a 9 inch box spring, the bedskirt had to be custom. Now my box spring is normal and the mattress is too tall. A friend suggested a duvet, but I am not sure if that would be longer on the sides to cover the mattress. Thanks again for the link, I might call them to see if they can email me some pictures of any thing they have that might fit.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Hi gk5040.......I looked on the bedding & couldn't find a tag. Sometimes Ray's seamtress makes comforters & someone doesn't pick them up, so they sell them. Mine could have been one of those. I bet they could help you if you want to email them a link to my picture of the bedding or send a picture. I am sure they would be happy to mail you anything. Good luck with your search....sometimes it gets alittle complicated....I had to add to the length of my bedskirt when we bought a taller bed yr. before last - LOL! My bedding is 4 yrs old but I wasn't tired of it yet. That is a miracle! :) Bonnie

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Hi Bonnie, thanks for checking, I will try to contact them next week...I am heading out of town the remainder of this week. I will shop around a little bit more, sometimes the furniture stores have pretty sets which are all available for sale. I forgot about them. The width thing is killing me. It takes me so long to pick things out, so if I see something I like its worth investigating. Black and gold have become my two favorite combos. I like red and gold too, and I think either combo will work in my bedroom. My room is painted Dromedary Camel, which is similar to Blonde. I did like how you added the fringe to the bedskirt, I have seen that done and its a great idea to add length and dress it up. Thanks again.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

You are so welcome, gk5040. :) Good luck & have fun shopping! Bonnie

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

gk5040, I love your living room and not just the paint. I think that color or something similar is what I've been looking for too.

• jencox
    15 years ago

My kitchen is in Blonde and I also wanted a warm color in my living room but not as cold...I chose SW Camelback and I love that color...it's like a golden beige but so warm, if your interested, I can post pictures of it.

Jennifer

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

Jencox - Checking back into this thread.... please post the pics of camelback!
    Thanks!

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Shee, someone posted a pic of camelback over the weekend. I bet if you do a search you can find it:)

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

gk - Hmm.. tried doing a couple different searches and didn't find anything. Found old threads where people talked about possibly using it.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz