Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maisoui1_gw

recommendations for ceiling fans please

maisoui1
9 years ago

Hello,
I need to replace the ceiling fans in the common areas at our home (5 in all). We are near the sea so were thinking of going with indoor/outdoor rated fans just because of the potential damage from salt air. I was hoping for something that looks tropical (we are in the islands) but have been hearing that the rattan/wicker/palm leave type blades are hard to clean and attract/hold dust so now I am not sure. I do know that I want something that really moves the air well. The bedrooms have a/c but not the rest of the house. We also would like quiet operations. There are so many brands on the market including those sold at Home Depot and Lowes that we are just confused. Once we buy them in the US and ship them overseas we are on our own so I am trying to make sure to make good picks. Any brand recommendations or brands to avoid. Thanks

Comments (16)

• Jules
    9 years ago

I recently did a lot of research on this subject and through some trial and error selected ten white ceiling fans for our beach home. I began looking at higher priced brands but in the end chose 52" Hunter fans that provide a fantastic breeze and are totally silent. Hunter also makes fans for Home Depot (Hampton Bay) and Lowe's (Harbor Breeze).

If you need a light kit, I highly recommend selecting one that uses incandescent bulbs; most use 60 watt candelabra but some take 60 watt medium base. I desired a wall switch with two slides, one slide for dimming the light and another slide for controlling fan speed. I also needed a three-way switch for a couple fans. I found that CFL bulbs don't allow you to do this. You can, however, use dimmable LED bulbs in incandescent sockets. I used dimmable warm light LED bulbs in the two fans that sit up high in our 22' living room with hopes that I'll never have to change a bulb. Fingers crossed.

Another point to consider is that if you'd like a remote control, that changes your wall switch options and can get rather confusing.

I scoured hundreds and hundreds of fans online in all different brands and never found the exact look I wanted. Let's face it: ceiling fans are not the most attractive things, especially if you also need a light.

In the end I purchased fans that were light kit adaptable, purchased separate light kits and then added different globes to achieve something close to what I wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hunter Fans

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I am fairly close to the gulf, purchased tropical style fans and they are impossible to clean. They are indoor outdoor fans, but everything sticks to the textured surfaces. Even the shop vac can't get the dust off because the humidity glues the dirt on the blades.

I am going back to plain Hunter Fans, just like in this Ralph Lauren home in Jamaica. I like the old fashioned cast iron housing that's offered and I think the white looks plenty tropical.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hunter Classic Original Fan

• maisoui1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much. I'll look at the Hunter brand. DH won't go for the white fans. He wants a wood tone blade and I'm fine with that. Quietness and airflow are top priorities so I'm sure I'll be able to find a blade that will work.

• mdln
    9 years ago

am getting a minka-aire

Here is a link that might be useful: ceiling fan info (prob more than you ever wanted to know)

This post was edited by mdln on Mon, May 19, 14 at 0:45

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I'm sorry mdln. I missed your link went to the same info. In that case, I second visiting the valuable site.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Mon, May 19, 14 at 14:21

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Most of our ceiling fans are HoDe Hampton Bay and we've been very happy with them. HoDe is very good about backing their store brand products too.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

You mentioned shipping them abroad. Are you 110volt or 220volt? This May impact your selections. Take a look at Matthews fan. Most of their fan are outdoor rated. I believe they sell in 220v.
    Good luck.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i have had a casablana fan in my bedroom in the last few houses we have lived in--- keep going back to that brand for the bedroom since they are super quiet and i need a very quiet fan to sleep...

i would be less picky for other parts of our house and would choose based more on just style. i have an inexpensive fan/light from HD out in our gazebo for past 10 years and although it's not used a whole lot, it's been exposed to the elements and still is working fine... the motor and light both have worked without problems for 10 yrs...

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Big Ass Fans. I love the way these look and am intrigued that they cool off without a lot of noise. Very expensive and that may be the reason. Anyone have any experience with these and thoughts on whether they operate better than other brands

I have always had ceiling fans and living in the SW, they are essential along with central air. We are currently building in the mountains and we will not have central air gasp! I'm a little nervous, because I like it cool inside, so for that reason, all bedrooms and the living area will have fans

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I replaced 2 builder grade, five blade fans with Minka Aire fans and they are so much better in both form and function. They are absolutely quiet which the previous fans weren't. My fans are installed on vaulted ceiling and they move the air so much better than the fans I had before.

I have the fan below in my MB. It does not come with a light but I did not want a light. I think most ceiling fan lights do a poor job of illuminating. I believe the fan is 52 inches I got it at a local discount lighting store for under $200. The blades have a very realistic wood look but are actually polycarbonate. It is not quite as dark as it looks in my photo. It is the color of the fan in the second picture I am posting. This fan also comes in silver or white.

I have this fan in my great room. It is bigger (i think its 58 inches) and about 2 times the price of the other one I posted. It does come with a light but we put the optional cap on it. Everyone that has seen it thinks it is an awesome fan. It comes in several other colors

• mdln
    9 years ago

badgergal - thank you for your post, that is the style I'm putting in my MB. So glad to hear you like it! Putting the other style in the LR.

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

I bought 2 Minka Aires a couple years ago and have had problems with both. They are nice looking but I wouldn't buy that brand again. When I replace them I will get Hunter fans. I have had a couple of these for years and have never had any trouble with them.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

jaspermplants, wow, trouble with both your Minka Aire fans. Now that is some bad luck. With that kind of luck, don't even think about buying lottery tickets.

mdln, I have had my LR fan for 4 years and my MBR fan for 2 years. We use both fans a lot, year round, and have had no trouble with either one. The only real complaint that I had read about regarding the fans was that some people got them and were surprised to find out that they were not made out of real wood.

• Lht Thái
    8 years ago

For the bedroom, just choose a small ceiling fans will be the best. And larger room, you can get one industrial ceiling fans. Emerson ceiling fans are also good brand in this business.

• ibuynewstuff
    7 years ago

It really depends on what size fan is suitable for your space. I'd go with bigger and slower if I were you. Here is a selection of great large ceiling fans. You can also calculate what CFM is optimal for your space.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I am glad it showed up.... since I am looking for the very thing right now!