Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Anyone like this granite with backsplash

chloenkitty
9 years ago

I've started the search for the countertop in the kitchen. I really love the look of marble, but all the posts about the upkeep make me nervous. I am still considering it if I just can't find something else I love. I plan to go out of town and look at some quartzite slabs.

In the meantime, I found this granite at a small local yard. My eyesight is horrible, but it appears to be a muted gray with greenish undertones and areas of tan. I think the tan warms up the backsplash more than the all gray (which is why I like Calcutta marble)

Anyway, this is a total unexpected granite, but I think it's nice. I have to go back and see the entire slabs again, but thought I'd get some input of what people here think of it. Thank you

Comments (34)

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another pic

• crl_
    9 years ago

I like the look. Be sure to do all the tests for staining, etc!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Is the backslash tile two different colors? It looks like some have an opalescent quality and some don't. Is it glass tile?

I really like the countertop stone. In the second picture what are the other two samples?

The backslash tile has a bluish tint that pulls out the hints of blue in the stone. Personally I like it. My only concern might be the small size of the backslash might make it appear busy, I would put a larger section together and stick to the wall to see how it works.
    Beautiful choices.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The backsplash is all one color (a very very pale blue that sometimes even looks a tiny green in it) some of the tiles have an opalescent look to them, which I love. It's a craved milk glass.

The other two samples in the second pic are just a square white piece of wood for the look of the white cabinets and the dark piece is a floor sample very close to the hardwood floor.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Take a picture of them in the plane they will be installed - lay the granite flat and prop the backs plash vertically behind it on something that is about counter height, Then photograph it from your eye level to get a truer sense of how they'll work together.

It's a very nice granite from the little sample - not so sure about that tile with it.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took another pic and I think you can really see how some tiles are opalescent in this one

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tile stays lol so I need to find something to go with it. I know sometimes people pick counter first, but I've wanted this tile for a long time because i love light aqua blue and am usually a neutral decorator. This is soft enough that it won't scream blue. I need to find something that works with it. When I purchased it, it was shown with princess white quartzite, which is nice, but very expensive, so I'm still looking while I have a bit of time yet to decide.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think it's a very nice combo. Stay away from marble. Everyone I know who has it has stains on it. No one keeps up the maintenance of counters, so the more one requires, the more I'd steer away from it.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I like the sample of granite, particularly with the floor and cabinet color. I see what you mean about the tile pulling out a tinge of blue in the stone. But it also seems to pull our a pinky tone: I am not crazy about the tile and stone combination, tbh, but if you show them the way they will be installed (as dlm2000 suggested) with the tile vertical and the stone horizontal, in the light you will have, that may make a difference.

For me, to use that pretty tile, I would be looking at something that seemed a bit more similar in color tone and quality like a white synthetic (quartz or solid surface).

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

See if any of the stone suppliers you have access to have white christallo quartzite. It is a cooler stone and I think will look fabulous with your tile.
    On my monitor the white granite you're looking at is a warm white and your tile is a cool blue tone.

• User
    9 years ago

Strongly second DLM's suggestion that you prop and view the materials in the plane in which they will be installed, as that will make a significant difference in their appearance!

I will say that the counter looks pink and gray with bits of brown that do not relate colorwise to the tile at all.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perhaps silestone quartz has been right under my nose this whole time. It's durable, stain resistant, etc

This post was edited by chloenkitty on Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:26

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Quartzite is not man-made quartz.

this is a close-up of the structure of the white cristallo.

Peke on these boards has installed a gorgeous green/white stone called Sea Pearl. I'd spec'd out Sea Pearl for our baths, but there was a big snafu with the granite people and I ended up having to choose something else at the last minute - the day of laying out the templates. I think that Sea Pearl might also work very well with your gorgeous tile.

sea pearl slab

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

No ... glass tile has a cool bluish tone, the stone has warm creamy undertones.

They clash.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In taking this backsplash to different places, a countertop with something a little warm in it has actually looked nice. If I see something with a little tan in it, I seem to like it. I am finding if it's too white and gray, it's looking really cool and frosty and I worry the kitchen will be too cold. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I am looking up quartz and this silestone is pretty nice. I don't know much about it. Is silestone just a brand name of quartz? I think it's easily accessible at places like Home Depot and lowes. I am seeing colors online at silestone like helix, pulsar and Lyra that I like that I have not seen in person though. Thoughts on it? Here's a pic of helix I believe

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Before I go any further looking into silestone quartz, my island will be 4x8 I believe. I hate and do not want seems. Can this be in one large piece as I do not want any seems on island or countertops.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do love this backsplash but it's ann sacks and is probably about $125 sq ft. If anyone knows of or finds something similar, please let me know. Thanks

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closer pic

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

I agree with LazyGardens about the clashing undertones of the backsplash and counter.

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I too agree that the countertop is too warm with too much brown to go with the backsplash. Interestingly I only really saw the brown in the second picture. In the first pic I liked it. Love your backsplash choices.

• lucas_tx_gw
    9 years ago

Are you sure you want that basket weave for a backsplash? Do you think you can keep grease cleaned out of all those nooks and crannies? I agree it's lovely but I'd think twice about having something that's not flat. Your choice of course :-)

• User
    9 years ago

I thought you were using the opalescent blue pillow tile as your backsplash, kitty. Are you still looking for that element as well? If so that should make it easier to choose things that will go well together and give the feel you want.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Lucas, I hardly cook lol and when I do, I'm a neat freak, so I'll clean it right away. It's a very smooth finish so it should wipe up nicely. I made my choice and it's purchased, so God knows I do need anything like grease splattering on it to make me lose sleep. I think any tile gets splashed!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Lucas, I hardly cook lol and when I do, I'm a neat freak, so I'll clean it right away. It's a very smooth finish so it should wipe up nicely. I made my choice and it's purchased, so God knows I do need anything like grease splattering on it to make me lose sleep. I think any tile gets splashed!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Silestone is one brand of engineered quartz. Cambia and Ceaserstone are two others. There are some newer brands as well. I think some people make a quality related distinction based on where the slabs are made and feel some of the lesser known brands aren't as good. So if you want engineered quartz, I would do some research on that point. Because engineered quartz is made made it will be more uniform in appearance than granite or marble, but for some of the colors people do seem to advise picking out your slab in person to avoid big resin blobs.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I went with silestone crl, where on earth do you see a whole slab? I think around here just Home Depot and lowes carry it and they don't have slabs!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Ask in the kitchen forum. I haven't ever bought engineered quartz. But I know there are people over there who have gone to choose their slabs. And some who didn't and regretted it when they ended up with big resin blobs in the middle of their countertops.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I don't see a connection to the granite you are looking at.

I would check out those mlweaving showed, or engineereds that either are or read as a solid.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Wow that last picture you posted of the backslash and countertop look so different from the first picture. I see so much more tans there and not as good a match. I agree they need to be seen from their appropriate planes.
    Both are beautiful though.
    Definitely see the slabs I was just reading about an install of silestone from home Depot and the big discolored blob. It was not a happy story.

• sas95
    9 years ago

If you want that tile I would strongly suggest a quartz counter that reads as fairly uniform.

• straitlover
    9 years ago

Careful w/ that tile in the first pictures. Someone has a post on here w/ that, and what they received looks way different than the sample.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Strait lover, that was me. The tile arrived in a much lighter color than expected but I decided to keep it. The tile is unique and very pretty and I wanted something with an opalescent to it and this has some pieces that are so it won't be too much. I was upset it's not as saturated with color as I expected, but everyone who sees it in person and does not have the original,sample to compare it to like I did loved it.

I know it's hard to know by photos, but this tile actually looks gorgeous with that granite I posted pics of. The gray in the granite is cool and that tan gives it just a touch of warmth so it's not so cold looking with the white cabinets. I'm not sold on it yet, but in person it really is nice together.

• User
    9 years ago

Chloenkitty, is that the sample tile that is much bluer than the actual tile you plan to use? You may want to compare the actual tile received to your possible choices of countertops.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!