Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

How would you fill the gap in these sliding barn doors?

snowang
9 years ago

I planned very hard to have a double sliding barn door installed as part of a basement finishing project. In order to leave space for the baseboard and quarter round which will be exposed once the doors are closed, we put in a header and side trims even though they are not required. I do like the finished look these extra trims provide. But, sigh....but once the doors are put up, the gaps on both sides are so big they are hard to ignore. The small room on the other side will be used as my office and occasionally I may record a song or two as a hobby but no blasting of speakers and the basement is quiet enough that I probably don't need to soundproof the doors. And most of the time they will be left entirely or half open. But my husband insists on filling the gap with something, thinking down the road it could be used as an extra bedroom (and who knows, maybe he doesn't want hear me sing in the middle of the night either :P)

The gap is a little less than 1" and the side trim is 3/8" deep where we can nail or adhere something. I checked out every type of weather stripping at HD, Lowes, Amazon, etc. Can't find anything that would fit tightly and not too cheap looking. Should we consider a strip of wood trim instead? Should it be attached to the outer edge of the doors or onto the side trim? I've seen quite a few applications of barn doors with headers. Can't figure out from the pictures how they deal (or maybe not deal) with the gap issue.

Comments (19)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You have to be careful with wood trim...if it fills the gap, it can scrape the doors as they slide by...barn doors have to have a gap in order for the doors to work....

• Sms
    9 years ago

You could put a piece of trim with same profile as the doorway casing onto the doorway casing. Can you post a pic of the top of the door? Not sure how to terminate or return the added trim.

• snowang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Top of the door attached. I'll also take some pictures to show the inside of the doorway.

Yes, I am worried about the trim scraping the doors, esp. since the doors can wobble a little bit on the guide. Maybe some type of soft material would be better than wood? Terminating on either end will be hard. If this is how barn doors are supposed to look, maybe I can talk my husband into staying put.

• suero
    9 years ago

Maybe a flexible, transparent shower door seal might work.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Our front door entry is barndoors, leading to a vestibule with french doors. And I have a barn door to my BA from our MBR.

You can narrow the gap, but you won't have true privacy or sound proofing with a barn door, period. Id leave it alone,

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i would do as was done in the picture shown by zeitgast because i would want to make the gap smaller too.

• snowang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the above! It's interesting to see that the picture posted by zeitgast also has a header and the side trim is even slightly lower than the header but still not much of a gap. I think it has something to do with the type of barn door hardware I'm using. It really requires thicker side door trims if I want to allow for baseboard and quarter round. I may think about replacing the trims with a higher profile, maybe 1/2" higher than the headers. Adding another piece on top of it may be more difficult.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Why must men always fill the gap?

• PRO
    Painting & Decorating Contractors of CA, Inc.
    6 years ago

Here is what I did...weatherstripping. The photos don't do it justice...it is nearly undetectable

• Gqrol. Roll
    6 years ago

Weather stripping, great idea!

• PRO
  • bradmiller
    6 years ago

I'm doing a media room with a barn door. What do you think about carpeting material attached to the back of the door to fix the gap and provide sound proofing?

• vmaffeo
    5 years ago

How did you attach the weatherstripping?

• PRO
    Painting & Decorating Contractors of CA, Inc.
    5 years ago
    I used a nail gun with a finishing nail
  • HU-735994836802625
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Good Evening, I am planning on installing my barn door this weekend. I don’t want the gap between my door and wall. Any ideas on how to avoid that? Also do I need to put a piece of trim under my track?

• HU-613182020
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a narrow hallway with a bathroom door that opens out. For years I have not been able to put runners/rugs in the hall because of the door. I had planned to put a pocket door in but recently was told that because of the light switch wiring it was not possible and the suggestion was made that I install a barn door which I did. I did not know that there will be a gap once the barn door was installed, the gap it’s too large to ignore. You can clearly see a person sitting on the toilet or standing at the sink, aaagh!. I tried the weatherstrip as suggested here but it did not work so then I came up with the idea of attaching “L” shaped trim. I have attached photos and it works perfectly!You have to attach the trim on both sides of the door frame

and the bolts for the tracks had to be turned around so that they will not catch on the trim.

• Kimberley Broyles
    2 years ago

I hope you all know how helpful this thread is, years later. We just had a couple of screened barn doors installed on our veranda. As such, we're not concerned about noise or privacy. ;) However, we do want to close the gaps and keep the bugs out. Because of the patio slab settling through the 60+ years, nothing's quite square (is it ever?). Would brush door sweep be best since the doors are unfinished, unpainted cedar and therefore maybe more abrasive? The floor is unfinished concrete and the door frames are unfinished treated pine.

• Lisa Angeli
    2 years ago

The brush would fill the gap