Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Custom Shower Curtain - lame question

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

For the 2nd floor hall bath in our summer home, I am going wild (for me) with pattern.

The floors are the rose and green sprig pattern, walls are the FnB "Polka Square" WP in soft green. The shower stall is soft jadeite tile, the tub will be painted the same shade. I am using Osborne and Little's Perroquet fabric for plain shades and also for the shower curtain.

Which leads me to my lame question. Since it is custom, I feel like I should make the shower special somehow. But how? So many clowns already. Not to mention I might be painting the little chest a cherry color (calling it cherry because i don't like red.

The layout:

The palette:

Fabric as wall paper --- note the huge repeat:

The lil' chest to be painted

Comments (12)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Me think thou doth protest too much about not liking color. Welcome to the Dark Side. lol.

Saying that, I'm not quite understanding what you are asking. What else would you add to the shower that you don't have already as far as tile?

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

Take off a piece of jewelry before you leave the house.

The shower curtain fabric and size make it special enough already. If you want to do something subtle have the top where the rings go reinforced with a piece of pink binding or something. On the back where you will only see it when you are taking a shower.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps add a red/cherry rick-rack border around the curtain? Or add a fabric valance or a couple of sexy ruffles across the top?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Well the good news is that you can sit on the edge of the tub and use the sink at the same time. WOW that's close.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, Bev, actually we scooted it down, this was when i asked for it centered. I can't find the final version but we left justified the tub vis-a-vis the double windows.

Oak,I don't actually know! I just thought, as long as they are making it, i may as well have something different/fun done.

Teacats - what kind of fabric valance?

Ineffable, hmm, binding, i will look into that. I like the peekaboo idea.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a pin board from Pinterest with some ideas .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- shower curtain valances

• chispa
    9 years ago

Glad you moved the tub. Functionality has to win over centered/symmetrical some of the time!

I don't think you need to do anything fancy to the shower curtain.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How about a nice pink and white stripe for the shower curtain... a break from the green accent...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can get a double rod and use a plain white or clear curtain on the inner rod and save the outer rod and fabric curtain for the decorative accent..

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, unless I am talking layout very specifically, I grab any rough image. I think there may even be a code issue with that little space between tub and sink. Originally, this bathroom had only a tub, and it was rotated 90 degrees against the wall on the left. When we put in a shower stall, we pivoted the tub to go under the window.

Annie, The fabric is ordered, but I do like your idea!

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

You do have a lot going on in the small space, so I'd forgo any valance on the shower curtain. I do like the ticking stripe with it though, and the idea of facing the wrong side edge.
    What you might do is ask the workroom to face the wrong side edge all the way around with a ticking stripe, and to put bound buttonholes in instead of grommets, using the ticking stripe on the bias to make the bound buttonhole. It's very subtle, but would give that nice custom touch. Impossible to find a pic of exactly what I'm suggesting, but at least this gives an idea. I'd use bias ticking welts to create the lips of the bound buttonhole.

PS, your workroom may not know how to do a bound buttonhole - but any good seamstress or alterations person would.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I'm with Marji. I'm not really a fan of shower curtain valances. I use custom shower curtains myself as I prefer a longer curtain and those are hard to find. Plus, I like to choose my own fabric. With all the patterns you have going on in that room, I would do a plain curtain and then do something as Marji suggested or "swoop" the curtain to one side and have pompom fringe or some such trim. One I like on the pinterest board is the pottery barn ticking shower curtain with the 3 rows of tiny ruffles near the bottom of the curtain. (I prefer your fabric over ticking.) Another idea is one I previously used, it was a shower curtain done in a trellis pattern. The fabric was a pale taupe color with the pattern done in ivory. That was actually a shower curtain I bought and had a pleated piece added to the bottom.

tina