Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Opinions needed on these brass hurricane candle holders

Oakley
10 years ago

Below is a picture of the candle holders I bought at an antique store on Saturday. I got them even though I really didn't have anywhere to put them. I'm sure you can relate. :)

I already have some candle holders on the mantel which you can see in the background, but I'm wondering how you think they look on the sofa table? Do you think they'd look better on the mantel?

This is a horrible picture of my walls, they're really not goldish/yellowish. lol

Comments (11)

• lolauren
    10 years ago

On the sofa table, they look.... breakable. I like the look, but that is a the reason I don't have something similar on my sofa table.... (dog tails, children, rear ends, etc.)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Very lovely! :)

A vote to keep them on the sofa table -- but try them without the lighter-toned basket which is very visually distracting ....

Perhaps try the small crock (now sitting on the mantel) -- with some summery simple faux greens? :)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Size-wise how do they compare with what's on the mantel now? I can't get a perspective if the hurricanes are taller than the candle holders or not. Have you tried them up there? I'd love to see a picture before committing to an opinion ;-) And no..... I've never bought anything without an idea of where I'd use it. HA!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I LOVE your purchase, but I agree with others that they could easily break when someone passes by the sofa table.

They are beautiful, and I would have bought them in a nano without knowing where to put them :-))

When I see your mantle, I see clutter. I don't think the entire mantle needs to be covered. I would put those beautiful glass hurricanes on the ends of the mantle to anchor and put lower items in groups of 3 to 5 next to them, leaving a clear space.

Less is often more!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The basket is actually darker than the candlesticks, but I think I had my flash on which is why it appears lighter.

I KWYM about them looking as if they could get knocked over. I think that's why they're throwing me off. There's plenty of room on either side of the table and we have 2 toddlers here (2 & 4) while they and their parents are building next door. So far so good. lol.

Tomorrow I'll switch places with the ones on the mantel, but I really like those & don't know where to put them if I took them off.

Guess what I paid for the candlesticks? $7.00.

Oh, I can't put them on the DR table because of the toddlers. They'd crash in a heartbeat!

• grlwprls
    10 years ago

Is there anything worse for home decorating than rear ends?

I am a huge fan of earthquake putty/museum wax because in addition to rear ends, I have to deal with flailing turns and rambunctious dogs.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Love them! I think where you have them is also very appropriate. As far as weight, and a slightly different look, I would take out the taper candles and put in 3" x 4" pillars, or a width that fits into the hurricane. I never use tapers if I don't have to since they don't stay straight.

I understand how things are with Grands~mine are 2 1/2 and 6, and also live close, 5 houses down on the other side of the street. It's been almost 5 years and so far so good, DD has always been attached to my hip! ;o)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Battery operated, even better!

Here is a link that might be useful: candles

• User
    10 years ago

I love them! Wait until the grands are out, you wouldn't want to ruin your bargain by having custom replacement globes made. They're beautiful!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have museum putty. GMTA though!

I thought about pillars, but I'm kind of liking the look of tapers since they're not used much anymore.

Patty, I have some battery operated pillars on another shelf. lol They work great when the power's out.