Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

Glossy green front door FPE

acdesignsky
10 years ago

We are having the trim and doors of our brick house painted. The trim will be a basic white to match the vinyl windows (yawn), but for the doors I am obsessed with a picture on the Fine Paints of Europe website. The color, the gloss, the sheer exuberance of it all. This door will make me smile. The house is an unassuming, narrow brick 20ft wide and 80 ft long two story that can use a punch of fun. Unfortunately, I can't find the color on the website. I emailed for details, but haven't heard back. It could be Bottle Green or it could be custom. I love the color as it appears on my monitor, so I am focusing more on that than the actual name of the color (does that make sense?)
I went to a BM store today and found a few greens I like, but to get the super glossy look, I will have to order FPE. We aren't within 500 miles of a dealer, which complicates things.
Does anyone have, or seen, the bottle green IRL? What about the Hollandlac gloss finish? I think my painter is going to panic about working with a new product but I will order all the supplies myself and take the risk. Any help at all is greatly needed and appreciated!

Comments (41)

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Call FPE and ask to talk to Emmett, no one else. 800-332-1556

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I will call tomorrow. The painter wants to get me on his schedule so I need to get moving!

• rosylady
    10 years ago

I have not seen that color in person, but that pic is fabulous!

I love love love high gloss paint. I like oil, it's glossier than latex:)

I painted all my exterior doors high gloss black, and am getting ready to paint all my kitchen cabinets and interior trim high gloss cream.

I bought Ben Moore's Impervo Oil High Gloss, and I like it fine. But I would prefer to use FPE if I could get it (I'm in a rural area).

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Isn't it gorgeous?! I am concerned about ordering it online too. I went to BM paint store today and they have a high gloss Grand Entrance paint, but it doesn't have enough shine. My biggest worry is that my painter has never worked with FPE so it's the blind leading the blind. If we can figure it out, I will be ordering the Dutch Door kit.
    I found this pic of Bottle Green which looks awfully close to my original inspiration

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

That Miles Redd is supposedly FPE Bamboo Leaf.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. You're right about the Bamboo Leaf. I definitely am going to need professional help.

• jennifer_in_kansas
    10 years ago

I remember Faron posting about painting his door FPE high gloss. You should search the Paint forum for more info - they really know there stuff over there.

I ran across this thread and watched the video. It looks like your painter will have quite the project on his hands....

It's a beautiful choice. Please come back to share the final results!

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Forum post about FPE high gloss

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just spoke to Emmett. It is Bottle Green in the hallway pic. I ordered the paint chips and am sending the link to my GC and painter. Crossing my fingers that they will give the ok. Will keep you updated.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Oh, good. Can't wait to see the door!

• pirula
    10 years ago

Me too! Can't wait. Rococogurl has used the Dutch door kit with great success. Hoping she sees this.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I posted an exterior pic and few questions on the Paint Forum. Hoping to get some more advice about trim and column colors .

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint forum

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to get some help on choosing the other colors for the house. First, tell me honestly if the Bottle Green is a good idea. DH is nervous, but he trusts me. Would it work with my brick? Be honest. I am 95% convinced. Also, I would like to paint all the other trim in Wooden Shoes, a pale khaki. The windows themselves are white vinyl and have to remain unpainted.

Here is a current pic.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The wrapping paper is a good idea. It is such a particular green that it will be hard to find a representative. The paint is itself isn't too expensive, but the full kit is $110. I can order just the paint, but need the kit to actually get the effect. Once the chip gets here, I could have a quart color matched at BM. It would be close anyway.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I think the glossy green door is a GREAT idea with your red brick! Not so sure about khaki with it though.....

What a beautiful home!

Nancy

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Our neighbors with red brick have a very nice light green on their trim. It really looks great. I would even consider it for our house. We are going to need to repaint the trim soon.

As far as the front door is concerned, go for it! Wow.

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

We used FPE door kits in black for our previous and our current house's doors (and the shutters on the previous one). My painters love it. It looks beautiful, and wears like iron. Nothing else that I'm aware of on the market even comes close.

Be sure your painter understands that the paint thinner/solvent that comes with the kit is different from the usual stuff, and to use only that when working with the paint.

I'm stuck at my desk just now, but can post a picture later if you like - but it really does look like the photos you've already seen.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

This is not so great but it might help you a little.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woohoo Photoshop! Thank you so much caminnc! I like it, maybe the khaki is a little dark, but it seems really close to the mortar. It definitely makes me think the window mullions themselves need to be painted to. What do you guys think?
    I would love to see the pics of your glossy black doors bronwynsmom. Were you painters already familiar with FPE?

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

The first painter wasn't familiar with FPE, and loved it - the second one was, and was thrilled we were using it. He didn't use their brush here, so there are brush marks, but I can live with that.
    (Seeing this photo makes me realize just how awful that light fixture is ... I think it just moved up on the priority list!)

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love your entryway.Thank you for posting that pic. It is glossy, but maybe not the mirror like look like it appears in my inspiration. Do you think using the FPE brush, resulting in fewer brush marks, would make a difference? Part of me is considering doing the door myself if my painter balks too much. Let's hope that doesn't happen.
    I heard back from Emmett at FPE about a color consultation. I sent him a few pics. Once my paint fan arrives here, he will make some recommendations. The more I look at the mockup the more flat it feels. Not enough contrast, though the glossier finish would help.

• lynxe
    10 years ago

It's more than just the brush, angc. I can't recall details, but I believe it's also the primer, some kind of "putty" one uses, etc. Absolutely get faron's advice before proceeding. Ditto on advice from FPE. Your painter will probably have to follow the advice 100% to get the look in your picture. (One tip I particularly remember is that one doesn't go back into previously painted parts over and over with the brush.)

Like bronswynmom, I used FPE on an exterior door, outside stair risers, and some porch trim, but with Corona brushes. The paint lasted forever, complete with gloss (while I had to repaint the stair treads over and over to keep the fresh-painted look). But the brush strokes showed, especially on the door. I didn't mind, but it sure wouldn't compete with the look you like.

Also, my opinion is that your house would look better with a darker green - a hunter green or something like that. Maybe something between Bottle Green and a huner green?

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I may have missed this in this thread, but if you go to their website, they do have a list of professionals. You can look up your state (or area) and see if anybody is recommended. And let me tell you, if there is someone listed close to ME, then you might just have a shot!

It may be time consuming to do it, but really, isn't it worth it? Aren't all good things worth waiting for?

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No such luck about the certified painters or even retail shops. The closest one is 6+ hours away. I have a highly recommended local painter coming tomorrow. I think he is up for the task, but expensive. I will let you guys know what he says.
    Here is a pic of red brick with a green similiar to Bottle Green. I don't want to go too dark. I want the color to feel fresh and fun, not so serious.

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

I am of the (often minority) opinion that a really good painter is a skilled professional, and ought to be well-paid.

Unfortunately, in too many professions (including mine), there are a host of untrained, inexperienced people willing to work for very little, and they muddy the market and can make it very difficult for the seasoned pros to earn a decent living.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am certainly willing to pay for a professional job. We would rather pay more upfront and be really happy with the outcome than cut corners and regret it. We should have quotes in hand Mon. We were advised against painting the vinyl windows, so white it is for all the trim. Now to find the right white. My packet arrived from FPE. Haven't had a chance to sit down yet today. It feels like Christmas!

• lynxe
    10 years ago

angc, I like the bottle green in the second picture you posted A LOT! But it does look slightly darker, or slightly less apple green, than in your first picture. The second bottle green would look great on your door -- good luck with the project!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

It's possible that my monitor isn't accurately showing your green - but on my computer is looks very Christmas-y with the red brick.

I think the gloss is a great idea since your entry is on a covered porch it will make it more visible. Our home is red brick and the front door is set back about 10' from the front walls, plus it's under a 5' overhang so it's always shaded. To make it more of a focal point DH painted it OSHA red but after seeing these photos I'd love to make it glossier.

Make sure you post photos when you finish.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We've gotten our paint quotes back. The cost is w/in 5% so price is not an issue. It's most about who feel can do the best job w/in our specifications. We're still deciding who to use. In the meantime, the color debate has begun. Can you guys please weigh-in?
    Windows, columns, fascia, and soffits in creamy white. Trim around door and windows in SW Status Bronze (deep warm brown with the slightest hint of green), front door in ......FPE Wooden Shoes! I am hoping the glossy mirror finish in a pale creamy khaki will be interesting and different. It is a trade-off. A much calmer palette, which makes DH happy, but a touch of unexpected glam. The hardware, house numbers, and lighting are a oil rubbed bronze and I am looking for an oversized door knocker in a dark finish. I am having a hard time finding pics of light doors, even on Houzz. A few in white, but not many.
    What do you think?

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sad to say that we're going to not be able to use FPE on the door. We chose our painter (more expensive but highly recommended by someone whose expectations and experience I trust completely) and he will begin in about 2 weeks. . He actually has worked with FPE before and feels he can get the same look with other alkyd products usually used in commercial applications. He was 100% willing to use FPE but the long distance aspect was an issue for me. I'm a hands on type person, so those little chips were not doing it for me. We are doing doing a super high gloss though. I am going to start another thread purely for color advice.
    Thanks so much and hoping I made the right decision!

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see your finished door and trim! Be sure to post your Before and After pics!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"Unfortunately, in too many professions (including mine), there are a host of untrained, inexperienced people willing to work for very little, and they muddy the market and can make it very difficult for the seasoned pros to earn a decent living."

People have to start somewhere, as in any field. Most people can't hire the best, so there is a large market for those who are less experienced. The real problem is the "host of untrained, inexperienced people" who charge us high, professional wages simply because they are in a certain field, so charge the going rate regardless of their skill or experience. That is not the job ladder where I come from.

Around here, you will also find GC's (expensive!) that employ cheap untrained laborers.

So you do not get what you pay for. Now, if you're talking about paying even more than what people already pay (outrageous), not many people make the kind of money they could afford them anyway. The average American family income is only about $50,000.

The real problem is that the construction industry really needs to have educational requirements, certification and strict regulations in place to stop all the nonsense that goes on.

It really chaps my hide to hear people say we don't, or are not willing to, pay enough. I've heard this plea for more money a number of times recently.

And by the way, I know highly educated people who feel the same way about this and wonder why some of these clowns are making more than them.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're getting close to Paint Day. The house is getting washed this week and we're on the schedule for painting next week (weather permitting). We may reached a compromise on the front door. SW has color called "Bakelite Gold" that works well with the brick, IMO. It will still be the mirror like high, high gloss.
    What do you think about that with primarily white trim and gutters and downspouts in Status Bronze?

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The painters are all finished. We went with the SW Status Bronze, Bakelite Gold and Cloud White in semi gloss with the front door in a high gloss. it is not the mirror finish I had planned. The overhang actually mutes the gloss that is there. I had to get really close to take an accurate picture. I also need a great door knocker and mail slot. The guys painted the powder room F&P Downpipe and Borrowed Light. pic of that once I figure out the finishing touches.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It looks like the painters did a beautiful job! Lovely finish and color. It looks so handsome on your beautiful old home. I like this color much more than the green. Great job!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Although I loved the idea of the green, this color is truly fabulous! Congrats on how well it turned out!

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! The painters were great. Very, very detailed. I am still adjusting to the new colors. I do feel like I chickened about the green, but I love the gold. It turned out to be a pretty expensive project, so we really needed to be sure about our decisions. I couldn't have lived 5 years with a color I hated.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Gosh, the painters did beautiful work. So, that is one of SW's lines? Do you mind sharing which one?

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Looks lovely-- and I am so eager to see your F&B Downpipe bathroom! I love the color and have been looking for a place for it!

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weird, but I don't have the paint can for the front door. It is an oil used normally in commercial spaces. It is SW. Light colors can yellow in direct sunlight, but in this application that isn't an issue. I also really like the semi gloss on the other trim.

• RAGGYROWE
    10 years ago

HI. I am new to the forum and also probably a little late...as usual .just thought i would recommend epifanes paint as they have a bottle green in their colour chart ..i have worked painting yachts for years and have now started to concentrate on properies as there is less hassle in houses.just renovated an old manor house in southampton united kingdom and thought i would send pic of front door in international blue .not in my opinion as good as epifanes as epifanes flows like a sheet of glass and i do mean that . i only use turpentine as it allows paint to flow .i only use purdy brushes as you need to look for that ultimate finish .anyway as i say i am alien to this type of forum ,but its nice to know that there are people who are into "decorating " on a TOP LEVEL . .cheers .