Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Do you use tassels?

Oakley
9 years ago

I have a thing for tassels and I think I saw one in KSWL's house, so I was wondering if any of you also use them?

If you do, would you take a picture? :)

Here's my favorite.

Comments (20)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I have simple red satiny tassels tied to the end of the ceiling fan cords.
    Yours are beautiful, so ornate!!

• User
    9 years ago

Very pretty tassel Oakley! I really like them in general and currently am using 5 in the house. I'll try and take some photos later.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Question for people with tassels: Do you have cats?

I think they are beautiful (tassels) but there are some things I cannot have because of my cats.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I use them on keys to various pieces of furniture. There's nothing special about mine. I just like the look and find that it helps keep the keys from getting lost.
    {{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I used to have them in the old house. In fact I made some (inspired by Lynette Jennings who did a show on passementerie) that I used on the window treatment in my bathroom.....

Now I only have them as part of the library window treatment....

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

No tassels, here! I take that back, there were tassels on a pair of lamps (that I did not buy, and have just replaced).

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

My cat never noticed them, Linelle, and her favorite spot in the Winter was on top of an end table that had one of the lamps with tassels (there was a heater vent under the table, so it was nice and warm).

• camlan
    9 years ago

I used to have a green and gold tassel on the key to the bookcase with the glass doors. I thought it looked nice.

Then I got a cat. And I had green and gold thread all over the floor.

So now I admire other people's tassels from afar.

This is how we learn our priorities. I'd rather keep the @#$@$%^&$ cat than have tassels.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I know my cats too well. They would go nuts over a tassel. My female cat currently has a thing for Nespresso foamer attachments and will reach in the unit to take the magnetic ones out and play with them. I can't figure out the attraction (except for the magnet).

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My cats haven't noticed the one on the sofa table yet, which is right at batting level. lol. I'll probably end up moving it.

I'm going to put two of these tassels on my hutch in the kitchen. It will go with some of the black and white check in there.

I love the 123 Creation's tassels. Some are pricey and can be found on Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tassels

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I've been using tassels for years, mostly on drawers/cabinets~love them. The 123 creations are very cute. I have some that are a little more ornate then others, but none with 'special effects.' I've seen vintage salt/pepper shakers, usually porcelain, being used as the top part of a tassel and selling for $150 each.

Would you consider them a trend? I remember my MIL having them n the early 80's. She even had her art work hung from cords with tassels. I've seen pictures of Victorian homes w/the same style of cord. The tassel hangs from a large button, and behind the button is a hook that attaches to whatever is in the wall. It definitely gives more presence to the artwork, usually antique/vintage.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, I do think tassels are a trend but not with the masses, if that makes sense. I only know a couple of people besides myself who uses them.

They're hard to find though.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I find a wide variety of tassels in fabric stores....

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I do use them because we have many antique pieces - several with keys. I have seen tassels for years in antique stores, etc. As someone mentioned, I think that have been used with keys - to keep up with the keys. We don't remove the keys from our pieces, as we don't lock ours. I think I have about 3 tassels in use right now. One each on keys on two armoires and one desk. My favorite is an aqua tassel with beaded strands. Will try to remember to get a pic.

tina

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Because I can't resist----Only onstage....

Ba-dum-bump!

LOL

Happy Thursday!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Well Cat Mom - do tell - can you twirl them? LOL

• bbstx
    9 years ago

HA! My first thought was cat_mom's post!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Oak, try Tueday Morning~ always have them. I was just there yesterday and walked past them. Like you, always look for something w/ black, but those are hard to find. I've also made them, using some of the many fancy perfume bottle tops I can't bring myself to throw away. I was on a roll several years ago and knew a girl who worked the perfume counter at Macy's, and asked if if I could have the tops. She said they didn't come with tops as samples. Make sense.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No Tuesday Morning around here. :(

Catmom, I found a LOT of those type of tassels on Amazon when I did a search in "All Departments." I had to refine my search when I was imagining a visual on how to get them to go 'round and 'round. LOL!!!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I had tassels on a runner. I have cats. I no longer have tassels on the runner.

My first thought was just how personal was this thread going to get!