Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tehyajenz6

Table for eat in kitchen

TehyaJenZ6
9 years ago

I'm struggling with what color/kind of table to get for my eat in kitchen. The former owner replaced the kitchen cabinets with cherry and a dark granite but did not replace the tile floors which have a light beige in them. The room also opens up to the family room that has hardwood, of again a different color. Other than the flooring, the wood in family room is also a cherry color.

Right now I have my pine kitchen table in there, which matches great with the tile, not so much the hardwood or cabinets. This area doesn't get much light so I'm hesitant to buy another cherry piece and make it even darker. Glass tables make me crazy trying to keep clean - is there any other color/type of table that would work in this space besides Cherry or Glass?

Will attach some pictures. This is from eat in, facing kitchen.

Comments (16)

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking towards family room

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And finally, the picture from MLS of the area, with no furniture.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

The style of your set as well as the color doesn't go with the style of the kitchen. Too bad since looks like it's in perfect condition.

How about a light grey or black? You then need to figure out how to get more lighting.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Glass would be my preference but not yours..(I love the light shining on the sparkly glass)....how about a table painted white like your woodwork? Or a table with dark legs and white top or white legs and dark top like your cabinets?

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think glass would look incredible, but I have a glass desk in my office and it makes me twitch with all the fingerprints and dust.

I like the idea of white and dark in the same table, but I can't picture it nor have I seen a table like that before?

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

The least expensive fix would be to paint your existing set all black or all white.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

A white chalk paint, distress the edges- sell the chairs and replace then with coverable parsons or something more modern and in keeping with your more contemporary finishes. You need a pop of color on your chairs and centerpiece. Look up chalk painting online.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

This would be my choice because this style goes with everything and would look great on that floor.

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The existing table/chairs is going to go in my basement - which is currently completely empty. i'll be buying new table/chairs for this area.

• TehyaJenZ6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - where can I find something like that? I LOVE that table!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

jenny, Google "rustic dining tables" or "reclaimed wood dining tables."

A good place to look is Craigslist, because new these are expensive. Custom made, they're even more expensive. However, they're rugged, gorgeous, go with any style, you'd have it forever, if it gets stained or scratched, it only adds to the charm.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I would do a darker wood table like the one posted above and slipcovered ivory chairs to lighten everything up and tie in the pretty painted fireplace mantle.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

You could try to stain the table top and paint the base.

Here is a link that might be useful: staining pine table

• michellekn
    9 years ago

Check out the Benson table from Room and Board. They have a maple with grey stain, reclaimed chestnut, some quartz tops which could all work.

Here is a link that might be useful: benson table

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Paint the cabinets to brighten things up. Keep the table.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have seen some really fantastic tables made from old rustic doors. Add legs and glass on top if you want to protect it. Try this google search
    tables from doors
    They are not that difficult to do but if not into diy it would be an easy job for a local woodworker.

If you have not seen salvage dawgs of black dog salvage take a look they have some really fantastic reclaimed wood projects but they are pricy. The door tables are not that expensive. You can buy pre made legs that screw into the frame the door is mounted to.
    Black Dog Salvage

Here is a link that might be useful: tables from doors