Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
binsp

Sports Themed Boys Bedroom

B H
12 years ago

Has anyone done a sports themed boys bedroom? My son is only 3 but he knows what he wants!

I'd really like to do something that isn't in primary colors but is still bright & cheery.

DS says he wants me to paint his walls white (eek! he takes after his father - no way can we have white walls in our house. They'd stay white for about a day!) but also wants blue and orange. We are Yankees and UT Longhorns fans - Yankees blue pinstripes & Longhorn burnt orange. Go figure!

At the same time, I don't want the room to become a Yankees/Longhorn room.

I am kind of hoping that anyone who can post pics might give me some inspiration! I like this photo so far but DH gave me a "meh" reaction.

Thanks!

B

Comments (9)

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

So B, do you have pictures of your son's room with the furniture you'll be using? That would help. I do like the above inspiration room. That bed is awesome!

• User
    12 years ago

I just wanted to point out that combining Yankee blue and Longhorne orange might be mistaken as Mets colors! Just saying...

Being a Met fan, I think it would look fabulous!

My DS (10 yrs old) wants to decorate his room in his baseball travel team colors (black and gold). I am thinking of putting up chair rail, painting below chair rail black, and above a yellow/gold (something softer than the actual color of the team so it doesn't get crazy loud). Already got him black bedding. Now, just need to convince DH to put up chair rail and to find time to paint (since we've started the baseball season, probably won't happen until winter).

• B H
    Original Author
    12 years ago

justgotabme - that would have helped in the first place! Sorry. :)

{{!gwi}}

That's the room before we moved in. I'll take some accurate pics tomorrow morning.

Jillinnj - ROFL! It didn't even occur to me that I would have been creating a Mets room. He does have a Beltran jersey courtesy of our lone Mets cousin (diehard, diehard Met fan!) and I already have decided it's going to hang on the wall despite whatever protests might come our way.

DS keeps asking me to paint his room; again today and yesterday when the house inspector was here (we are in escrow for the house we've been leasing). The inspector got a laugh out of a little child asking "Please Mr. Ron? Can you paint my room now?".

Sounds like you'll have a fun project on your hands!

• sandra_zone6
    12 years ago

I don't have ideas on your sons room, but I have just one thing to consider. I have 3 kids; 2 boys and a girl. They change their likes/dislikes like underwear. My only suggestion would be to consider maybe not going with a narrow theme for the room unless you are sure he will be a die hard fan of whatever.

My son wanted a Rangers room, I told him I'd do a hockey themed room since we are all hockey fans, but not a specific team. Good thing, he got upset with the Rangers and no longer wants his room Ranger themed. I prefer to go with color and do accessories with whatever they like at the time; easier and cheaper to change out.

• amj0517
    12 years ago

binsd: Do you have any info on the bed in your inspiration photo? I love it, and with two little boys in the house it would be perfect!

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Thanks for picture B. I was going to suggest similar to what Jill said, but wanted to see the room first. I think I'll wait until I see what type of furniture you have in it before I decide for sure, but while I wait I've linked you to a thread from earlier this year that I helped a member visualize how to paint her son's Green Bay Packer room. I deleted the pictures on her thread, but you can see the real room in her link to Alex's Room since she painted it from my virtuals. It's really awesome.

I'm not sure you'd want that much bold color with the tall wall. Maybe the blue on the bottom two thirds with an orange painted border and white on the top section.

anj0517, the picture info says it's from Pottery Barn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Bay Packer kids room

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I posted a thread in our (picture) Gallery that's on kids rooms. You might see some good ideas there for colors, wall decoration, window treatments, toy storage, and more. Have fun and please post lots of pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kids Rooms inspiration pictures

• B H
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oceanna - I LOVE that thread (as well as the other eye-candy threads you've posted). Thanks for reminding me of that one! I'll go through it, hopefully, at naptime today.

amj - yes - it's from Pottery Barn. I love it but it's way out of my range. If you get it, please share so I can live vicariously through you!

Sandra - good points about not creating a themed room specific to a team (Yankees or Longhorns). I think I really do like the colors in the photo I posted plus it's grown on DH. I think I would just display his team gear.

Just - that Packers room is great! And of course, the colors are perfect. I know many adult Cheeseheads who would kill for that room. :)

Here are pics of DS's room.

It's bare right now because I'm washing their bedding.

It's also bare of any furniture for a couple of reasons: the room is relatively small and the beds are huge. The beds were loaned to us by some friends from church - they are Barn Door bunk beds that are almost 30 yrs old. Those beds are solid! I would love to paint them the blue in the PBK photos.

It's not in our budget to get new beds, unfortunately. When DS is older, we'll bunk them.

The dresser we have doesn't fit in the room so we'll have to wait to put that back in until we bunk the beds. We also need a 4' turning radius for DH as you enter the room because of his powered wheelchair.

Twin DS & DD currently share the room - I've tried to get DD to sleep in her room room but she always ends up back in DS's room in "her" bed. They can't seem to sleep apart from each other yet. Here are pics of her room (work in progress).

Eventually, we'll be getting rid of the carpet & putting down wood or laminate.

I am dreading taking down the wall paper border but it has to be done. Any tips? I've never worked with wall paper before.

His room is going to be a big project between maneuvering the beds (which would have to be taken apart - I can't move them at all) and prepping the walls.

I am hoping that once the wall paper comes down, the ceiling will look higher. DD's room looks so much more expansive despite the full-sized bed, dresser & dark paint.

So...that's what I have in pics!

• michiganrachel
    12 years ago

`i read often, but rarely post on this forum. Have you considered fatheads for your son;s room? You could paint a neutral color and then buy both UT and Yankees fatheads for different walls. Then, if he changes his mind, you can easily take them down.

If you dont know what fatheads are, they are removable wall decals that have licensed just about every profesional and college sports team! Once year we got our boys a huge darth vader and darth maul fathead for christmas. they looked great! Google fathead and you will find the site.

Good luck!