Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeyna

English cottage?

madeyna
9 years ago

I,m a little confused. I see the diff. in the outsides of the homes but the inside decore looks like it could translate easily to American country or french cottage other than a few small changes am I missing something? Does anyone here have a fav. web sight for this style decor? Or just a good pic example would be great. I love country decor because it mixs my horse , gardening and antique hobbies together in a wonderful way.

Comments (9)

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

I travel to England every year and have stayed in some off-the-charts charming cottages. Probably the very best was called Sticky End Cottage (next to Honeypot Cottage!), where there was absolutely no detail left undone. It was a centuries-old thatch, brimming with the most wonderful antiques. I've linked to the site below, where the photos unfortunately don't even begin to do justice to what it was really like to be there. (I hope my links work - I seem to be having some accessibility problems with certain sites at the moment.)

There are, of course, a number of different ways to interpret English cottage style. The more traditional, cluttered look still exists, but there is a trend (particularly in holiday cottages) towards taking an old fisherman's cottage (for example), with its tiny and often quirky spaces, low ceilings and narrow staircases, and refurbishing with high quality but simple elements. Soft and sweet colors (think Cath Kidston, Emma Bridgewater, Laura Ashley) are often used, and the overall effect is, in my eyes, extremely charming. Here's a kitchen done along those lines:

And then there are spaces like this, where the old and the imperfect seem to be embraced, that make me long to be back in England again...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sticky End

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankyou for posting those . From what I am gathering its a softer take on a country look than american country. Maybe a little more rustic furnature than french country?

• SunnyCottage
    9 years ago

That's a good way to put it. I tend to think of it as a slightly more masculine look than French country - although the English do love their florals, so it's definitely not short on the feminine element either. I think English country has a timeworn, collected look about it that invites you to sink in. It's a comfortable feeling that wraps you up and makes you feel cozy. Or, as the English would write - cosy. ;-)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Absolutely love. Oh the English Country look is swoon worthy indeed. My favorite decorating style of all time though for some reason I can never actually pull off the look!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's a link to one of the best pinboards on English Country style on Pinterest ....

.... there are a couple of true English country styles: The English Country Place (usually one of the lovely old mansions) and The English Cottage look (lately more of a Scandanavian or New England) feeling .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- English Country

• teacats
    9 years ago

.... and a pin collection of English Cottage style pins .....

... always a lovely style!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- English Cottage Style pins

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Here are two links in our Gallery. Sadly, a lot of the pics are gone. Oceana did a huge job putting it together.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankyou for the links .

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thank you Teacats and Technicolor.