Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

need help choosing powder room lighting

michoumonster
11 years ago

Hi all,

I am trying to put together a contemporary powder room, with mediterranean feel. I am having a hard time with the lighting, which I think will be the most important aspect that ties everything together.

I was wondering if you could suggest some lights for my powder room?

I can do pendant, or wall sconce, or hanging, or even a combination.. There is no window in the powder room, so lighting will be important.

This is a pic of a sideboard I got off craigslist that I plan to turn into a vanity. I plan to stain it a browner tone, more like walnut.

I

And I will probably put on a marble top. And use an undermount sink as the vanity is pretty high.

Here is the faucet I will use on the wall

{{!gwi}}

Here is the tile I plan to use all the way up the wall. But I am not sure if I should use it in combination with the vanity -- maybe it might be too much/too busy? If not, what tile should I use? My preference is for something very light colored since the powder room has no natural light..

thanks for any advice!!

Comments (6)

• springroz
    11 years ago

You need those lights that 2littlefishies from the kitchen forum had, but I believe returned. They may have been too large, but the style would have been perfect!

Nancy

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi springroz, thanks for the suggestion. i just searched for the lights you mentioned on the kitchens forum by 2littlefishies. I think the style would work, but it seems too dark for the bath.
    also, i am worried if i might go overboard with the mediterranean theme if i use lights like that plus the tile? i am not a skilled decorator, so i need everybody to help me filter all of the options out there!
    thanks!

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi all, i put together a pic of all of my working elements. PLease let me know what you would change. i am just not sure if it looks right. i want to find a balance so that my powder room can feel contemporary and not too ethnic or traditional mediterranean.. thank you for any advice!

i just picked a random mirror to put in the pic. not sure it works..

what lights would you think go with this? something like this? or would this be too much?

or should i make only the lights mediterranean and do a simpler tile like white subway? or go with simpler lights and stick with the arabesque tile?

simpler styled lights like this?
    {{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Wow that's a lot of pattern.
    Do you need to tile?
    Perhaps a wallpaper would be more subtle and add color, or just paint.
    I love the vanity with the marble and would want that to be the star. Then your light fixture will stand out more as well.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi annie, now that you mention it, i guess that is why it feels too busy-- though i like the tile by itself. i don't have to tile, but thought it might make a statement and brighten up the powder room. though i guess white paint would be just as good. maybe i can add a marble backsplash in order for the wall mount faucet to keep the walls dry.
    i will play around with it some more and post another pic.
    thanks for the suggestion!

• ajc9
    11 years ago

What a pretty piece!

I agree..the tile seems to be too much. To me, it's kind of a cold feeling perhaps?

I like the pendant! It has the pattern that you like too...