|I want to buy an area rug now for our new house cause I want to make sure I don't pick a paint color that clashes with it.
The room is 18x17. Unfortunately, the one request DH had when we built was to have carpet in the family room so the rug will be decorative only, but I still want one.
8x11 seems like it might be good if it was hardwood, but maybe since it's carpet I can get by with a 5x8?
|It depends. What do you want the decorative carpet for? |
If you plan on putting it under a coffee table, then 5x8 is a good size.
|If you plan on a conversation area of sofa/chairs/tables in front of a fireplace or tv, then I would draw out to scale the measurements of the area of the room where this will be and measurements of the furniture and placement within that area. Then you will hava a good idea of the size of the rug you need. 5x8 might be a bit small for an area like that in a large room.|
|Our Gentleman's Parlor is 18 by 18 with a walkway along one length. We have a nine by eleven area rug. I can't imagine having anything smaller. |
I agree with Patty to draw up a scale floor plan with the furniture placement before you buy a rug if you really want to buy a rug now. Personally from experience of building three homes I'd wait until you were in the home. You won't really have a feel for what works until you are in the home.
Return to the Home Decorating Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here