Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticme_gw

Stenciled Powder Room

eclecticme
13 years ago

I just thought I would share this. I posted my stenciled powder room on another thread. I decided to redo it with a different stencil. Here is the old:

Here is the new:

Comments (25)

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

Well, wow! I thought it was wonderful before, but I like it even more now! Now it has a fresh, modern look and feel. It's elegant but fun! You do amazing work! I've stenciled some myself, but nowhere near as intricate and detailed as what you've done. Your work is very impressive!

• prill
    13 years ago

I can't believe you painted over all that stenciling! It's beautiful-- again.

• cathrugg
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Can I hire you to come and do my bathroom.....I am so envious!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I love it. I was impressed by stencil #1, but this has such a graphic quality.

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments. I LOVE doing this kinda thing. This is my week to finish up all my unfinished projects. And instead....I stenciled my bathroom.

• cheri127
    13 years ago

WOW, WOW, WOW! That is really beautiful.

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

May I ask where you get your stencils and what type of paint you used? It's absolutely stunning! Any tips for those of us who would ever consider trying it?

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Unbelievable!!! I agree with others, can't believe you were gutsy enough to paint over the other stencil. Love the new one though. Fabulous!!

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

prill and malhgold, I looked at the roller full of paint and just decided to go for it. The first stencil was ALOT or work. It took many hours -- weeks to complete -- and I never actually finished it.

Hilltop, I bought the stencil from stencilplanet.com. I got the first stencil at designerstencil.com. I must say that the one from stencilplanet is MUCH easier than the first one. I just used the paint I had on hand. The stencil was done with the same paint that I used at the bottom of the chair rail in the first photo. I assume that any fast drying paint would work. I am learning that the less paint you use the better the results.

It only took me 3 days to complete the bathroom with the second stencil. That included the priming and painting required before I started the actual stenciling.

Actually, I said that I had never stenciled anything other that this bathroom but I did do a small closet years ago.

I'm now trying to decide what type of stencil to use for my kitchen. I want to distract from my hideous cabinets.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...I thought the original looked awesome, but you surpassed yourself the second time. GREAT JOB!!!

• Jody
    13 years ago

Love the NEW stenciling of your bathroom .... looks so fresh and such a clean look!! I want to stencil a border in our bedroom ... just trying to find the time to do it.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    13 years ago

Amazing! I love it! Thanks for the link, I think I'll be checking them out :)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I so admire DIY people, you did an amazing job.

• readerlearner
    13 years ago

Very nice job. Looks very classy. Would you please tell us, did you use a brush or a roller for the stenciling?

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are so nice. readerlearner, I used a brush for the stenciling. I tried doing one with a roller and I ended up having to redo it with a brush. It just seems to be much cleaner with a brush, but more time consuming. I also used the same stencil in my bedroom, I will paint over that. In the bedroom I used a much thicker paint than what you would normally use on the walls. It was much cleaner looking with the thicker paint. I hope that helps.

• readerlearner
    13 years ago

eclecticme,
    That must of taken you a long time. Did you use a stencil brush? I see that there is a stencil roller for sale, I wonder how they work. I stenciled a border in my bathroom, with a stencil brush and it took me what seemed like forever to do. I decided it needed to coats, which of course took longer.

How did the bedroom turn out? Did you mean you are painting over the stencil you did?

I hope you share your bedroom photos!

• pps7
    13 years ago

I love it! Do you want to come do mine :)...I wanted wallpaper for the powder room, but DH vetoed that.

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi readerlearner. I used a stencil brush. I think that if you use a regular paint brush you might end up with a mess. I tried a stencil roller but it didnt work for me. This is what the same stencil looks like in my bedroom. {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

It is done in a metallic silver. I tried the same stencil in the bedroom in both blue - the same color as the upper portion of the walls - and brown. I didnt like any of them. I think this stencil needs to be from floor to ceiling to get the full effect.

I really dont care for it in the bedroom and I will paint over it. I will probably either replace it with another stencil or do pitcure frame molding. The bedroom is a work in progress and as you can see, I haven't yet put the baseboards in place. They are just laying against the wall. I actually had pitcure frame molding up and recently removed it...long story. Then I had to spackle and sand the damaged walls - HUGE MESS! After that I decided to see what the stencil looked like before I put new molding up. Now I think I'll try a new stencil first. Anywhoo thats the reason the baseboard is'nt attached.....

• readerlearner
    13 years ago

eclecticme,
    thanks so much for the pictures and info. I am sure sorry you went to all that work and don't like it.

I too used a stencil brush in the bathroom.

Good Luck getting the bedroom the way you like it. I agree about the whole wall being done to get the effect.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Fabulous. A question: you say you use a thicker paint--could you share what paint and where you got it? TIA.

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi flyleft, I got the paint from a store called Blick. It wast stencil paint but an acrylic paint used for canvas. It was their brand. It worked much better than the BM wall paint that I had previously used.

• catkin
    13 years ago

Looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

• prill
    13 years ago

love the look of your toilet - what is it? The back is so pretty.

• eclecticme
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi prill, the toilet came from Home Depot about 2 years ago. I dont know the brand. I like it because it almost looks feminine. I also like the way it flushes. You pull the handle on the top, up. That has caused a little embarassment for a guest or two :) It is also taller than most toilets, which I like. I would say the only thing thats might be a problem iwth some is that you cant really put anything on top of the tank because of the way it flushes.

• prill
    13 years ago

Thanks - I'll look there and see if they still have them.