Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Realistic looking large faux topiaries needed

three3apples
9 years ago

I hesitate to even admit to wanting faux topiaries for my front door, but I do. I don't have a green thumb and have an incredibly busy schedule that, at this time, doesn't allow for pruning or caring for topiaries. I would like some that are 4-5' tall and spiral or a cone atop a ball. I worry about ordering online because they may end up looking like plastic, but none of our local vendors carry these. Any advice on where to order nice looking ones that are not upwards of several hundreds of dollars per tree? Thanks.

Comments (14)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I bought the outdoor topiaries online from Home Depot. I looked everywhere and didn't want to spend a fortune. They lasted 5 years and I was shocked at how many thought they were real.

I bought my second pair from H.D. also, but a different shape. I've been too lazy to put them in the pot. lol

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The best source for fake flora is in the link, Diane James. Not sure if they have what you want.

IMHO inexpensive fake greenery that looks nice, especially out of doors, is not possible.

Do you have a lawn service? They may be able to suggest something real, and also take care of it for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux flora

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

If you are working with a designer you can try Winward Designs. They are to the trade only though.

• User
    9 years ago

NDI is the best faux greenery I've ever seen, but the prices for topiaries such as you describe will be closer to $500 each. I second Mtns suggestion to have your lawn service take care of the plants.

The link will take you to a 5' topiary from NDI.

Here is a link that might be useful: NDI topiary

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:10

• violetwest
    9 years ago

My suggestions would be Frontgate or Improvements catalogs. I mean, I've seen them in the catalogs, but haven't seen them in person.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

My sister found some on craigs list which were from a store closing.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Well, Mtn. I find that kind of insulting. Have you been to my house? Even on this board I have been asked if my topiaries are real.

Faux greenery has come a long long way, and there is absolutely no need to spend hundreds of dollars anymore.

I miss Les. Wish she'd pop up.

• User
    9 years ago

It is difficult to assess quality from pictures of faux greenery. I personally have to see and feel something to form an opinion, and that is why I recommend NDI. Their quality is non pareil. I was surprised at how reasonable their topiaries are, considering a vase of flowers can run into $800 plus.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, Oak, That's regrettable; certainly not my intent. I was writing while you posted. In any event, happy to hear you found something you like, and it was a bargain, too.

KSWL,
    I forgot about NDI, of course! That was who I was thinking of. Even with NDI, I think they need a yellow or brown leaf here of there, or maybe you can attach and move around! To me, perfection is the dead giveaway. Which is why I avoid perfection at all costs. ; )

PS WinwardDesigns has a retail website if you google it.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

NDI is absolutely the best. I have several. Even as a gardener and a garden clubber, these are the only ones I like. I just gave away a floral bouquet to my neighbor that my husband gave me in 1996 which I had on my bedroom dresser, and she had jonesed after it for years and I decided that I had enjoyed it long enough and would give it to her. Yes, it still looked that good and the container was beautiful. She is using it on her bathroom vanity. Still beautiful after all these years.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thanks Mtn. I couldn't find the retail site the first go around so I will try again.

I do like Diane James but after researching I found out that NDI is a woman owned, small business. As a SBO myself that has swayed me to go NDI. I found a small arrangement that I like but it is on their site and after you put it in the cart it tells you to call for assistance. If I have to do that there is no sense in purchasing on-line. I will look for shops that carry a selection and purchase that way.

• DianeJamesHome
    9 years ago

If you are looking to use faux plants outdoors, we would recommend finding ones that are UV protected so that the leaves don't turn colors.

Diane James Home is a women run business and family owned business started by my mother in her 60's and all of our designs are made in CT by women.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thank you for the tip about Diane James also being a WOSB. So nice of you to have clarified! The floral designs are lovely BTW.

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the good tips. I've decided to go with real, but cannot find any for sale in our area yet. I still have a few garden centers to call, however.