Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Best thing to hang ironstone platters with

sis2two
9 years ago

For those of you who have experience hanging plates or especially ironstone platters on the wall, what do you use? I've read about the round discs that are somehow mounted on the back, and have heard they are less likely to damage the plates. Do you know where they can be purchased? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (18)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I've found that those can FAIL and it's heart-breaking :) I've seen them at Hobby Lobby by the registers, if you want to experiment.

I use plate racks or those spring plate hangers. So far I haven't had any damaged.

• maid_o_cliff
    9 years ago

I hung my platters on the wall, no digging in drawers or in a cabinet. Never had a crack or chip yet.
    Tried to post before but, don't know if I did it right! Soooo if you can actually see what I am talking about, please let me know. We were redoing the kitchen at the time excuse mess!
    Actually I have had compliments, but may not be your cup of tea.
    >imgscnhttp://s1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/maid_o_cliff/?action=view&current=c24880c6459d8c7dd896cd3580b98798_zpsd5948423.jpg

This post was edited by maid_o_cliff on Mon, May 19, 14 at 9:25

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I've hung plate arrangements on the wall several times and always use the wire hangers with springs.

If you use the adhesive ones I would recommend getting the largest ones that hold heavier plates. I expect ironstone platters could be heavy so I would weigh them to ensure the appropriate hanger. Prep carefully before applying. Lots of people use them with no problems but I've always been wary of them.

If you only want to hang one or 2 plates or platters you could use a hanging rack.

Here's a 4 plate rack I had years ago:

Here's a 2 plate rack where I vary the plates to display:

The link below shows various plate racks. Looking at these I think I might paint my rack black instead of the gold it is now.

Here is a link that might be useful: plate racks

• Mayaa
    9 years ago

This would be better solution

I hung my platters on the wall, no digging in drawers or in a cabinet. Never had a crack or chip yet.
    Tried to post before but, don't know if I did it right! Soooo if you can actually see what I am talking about, please let me know. We were redoing the kitchen at the time excuse mess!
    Actually I have had compliments, but may not be your cup of tea.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayaa- I did get your photos! Thanks.

I have 5 platters I want to hang in my dining room so I probably won't do the racks. I really wanted to use the round discs but worry about them failing too especially with the ironstone being so heavy.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

On this topic: Has anyone ever had a failure with the spring hangers? I've used them for souvenir types of decorative plates with no particular value, but I'd like to hang some better things and am very afraid. The best, of course, is if there is a hole in the porcelain itself to thread a wire through--but most dinnerware doesn't have that. I had two antique Spode plates on a mantel, on those wooden L shaped stands. One has a stress crack through it now--it was a complete set of six with two berry plates, and now its total value is much less, of course. What is safe?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I've had my white ironstone platters hung since I moved into the house 6 years ago, and haven't had any 'fatalities' yet. I have one platter that's fairly wide, as well as heavy, so joined two hangers together.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I've hung many plates on the wall, not platters, and use mostly the spring ones bbstx showed in her first picture.
    I do have one plate hanging rack similar to the ones luckygal shared. They work great for my heavier plates.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

vedazu, your plates cracked just sitting on the mantel? Was it this sort of stand

If so, I think your plates would have cracked anyway. It is a shame that they cracked, regardless of how or why.

As to the springloaded plate hangers, a collector friend of mine told me not to use them for valuable pieces. She said that with time, the portion of the hanger that hooks onto the edge of the plate (I'll call it the "claw") will make indentions in the rim of the plate. I don't know if her information was from before they started using the clear tubing on the claw or not.

I remember eons ago we had just moved into a new house. My mother had some fancy dessert plates that she hung on the wall with some sort of stickers. It wasn't too long before one fell and broke. Then another fell and broke. She took the remainder down and never again trusted the stick on type hangers. Having been imprinted at an early age, I don't trust them either.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I wasn't able to access maids pics. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

The platters and plates I have hung with the spring hangers (like bbstx posted) have been fine for the last 8 years. I do look at the edges when I clean them, to make sure they aren't getting chipped. So far so good.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

maids~

• maid_o_cliff
    9 years ago

Sorry, I have studied all morning and still, can not embed or post a picture! Thank you forboystoo. Try to think, she's old, had couple strokes, and probably no longer the sharpest knife in the drawer!
    The really nice part of hanging them this way, they are right there when you need them, and I don't have dig through all of them to get what I want to use.
    I promise to practice embedding pictures however, so far it's all Greek to me!
    Maid

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

The spring hangers. I 'test' them on both sides first, without stretching totally over the plate, and have had to adjust the clamps a bit for some pottery plates (the part the hooks over the plate) due to the thickness of the plate. I just use a pair of needle-nose pliers to bend them out just a little, and have used a bit of sandpaper to file off the sharp edges that sometimes are on the ends of the clamps. I hope this makes sense.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I have decided to use some hangers that luckygal posted under plate racks. They are white, invisible, and hold heavy platters. Thanks so much!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thank you forboystoo for posting Maids solution. I can see how it would make using plates and platters easier

• vedazu
    9 years ago

bbstx--yes, one plate cracked--rather like it was probably created--in a circle--after having been on one of those stands you picture. I think that since the furnace room is outside but shares a wall with the living room, the vibrations of the furnace cycling on and off might have done damage over many years. I'm told that the heavier the platter, the greater likelihood of these stress fractures...when a platter is on its end, support the weight of a big piece.